Uh Oh

Ongoing tension? What the hell can that mean? Dolph might as well be wearing a cheerleader uniform for the last 22 years. Always positive, with a real love of Iowa sports. Fran and Barta gonna be this petty about it and pile on? What if Barta made one mistake in 22 years......worth about 6.5 million. Was he suspended? What if Fran flew off the handle and his temper cost Iowa a game? Wait, both bad examples. People in glass houses shouldn't throw bricks.

Hey, if we admit that the suspension is kinda stupid, can we skip over that part and discuss why Iowa continues to employ maybe the worst PBP basketball guy I've ever heard?
Why?

Harry Caray couldn’t speak English, was hammered most of the time, and was absolutely horrible at calling games. But the fans loved him so he stayed.

Same thing with Dolph.

Why?

Harry Caray couldn’t speak English, was hammered most of the time, and was absolutely horrible at calling games. But the fans loved him so he stayed.

Same thing with Dolph.
"Mark Grudzalaniek spelled backwards is 'Get me another Bud Light'"

I've heard that Harry was one of the best when he broadcast Cardinals games in the '50's and '60's but that was before my time.

The last ten years of his career, after his stroke in 1987, he didn't know if he was watching baseball or football. By the time he finished his home run call the batter was up in the tunnel taking a piss.

that's ban-worthy.
Wrong.

Lonnie Lester played point guard at Iowa from 1956-1959 before moving to Chicago to start a recording career with Tramp Records.

a0037200723_10.jpg

A coach should have a lot more invested in the outcome of a game than a commentator. Plus coaches routinely scream at refs in football. It's part of the game. Swearing? In football? Never! Lol grow up Billy.

Yes because what BF did was just your typical coach riding an official on the sideline

Why?

Same thing with Dolph.

Yeah, but when he was hammered and incoherent Harry Caray had already transitioned to TV. He could say ridiculous stuff because people could actually SEE the game. Dolph does radio, which means that unless you're watching the game at the same time you have no earthly clue what's going on.

"Mark Grudzalaniek spelled backwards is 'Get me another Bud Light'"

I've heard that Harry was one of the best when he broadcast Cardinals games in the '50's and '60's but that was before my time.

The last ten years of his career, after his stroke in 1987, he didn't know if he was watching baseball or football. By the time he finished his home run call the batter was up in the tunnel taking a piss.

Before Harry Caray turned into the character he was on TV.

Yeah, but when he was hammered and incoherent Harry Caray had already transitioned to TV. He could say ridiculous stuff because people could actually SEE the game. Dolph does radio, which means that unless you're watching the game at the same time you have no earthly clue what's going on.
I agree he sucks at basketball PxP (I don’t mind him for football), my point was that even though he sucks, most casual fans love him and that’s why he won’t lose his job.

I agree he sucks at basketball PxP (I don’t mind him for football), my point was that even though he sucks, most casual fans love him and that’s why he won’t lose his job.

I'd rather listen to him than most - because he at least knows the Iowa team. That said, he'll say "IT'S A CATCH.... no no..it's dropped" .... "AND THAT'S A HAWKEYE FIRST DOWN".... followed by Ed saying "No Dolph, they're 3 yards short"....

he's horrible at calling the games.

True. But if it's the truth, the employee not performing might get fired too. Maybe the boss too. Which will end up making the organization more efficient, assuming everyone is replaced by someone competent.

Iowa can punish Dolph. It's within their power. I don't think they should, because I believe burying their head in the sand to be more damaging than an accidentally broadcast criticism of a poor performance by a player.

I would have been fine with a "slap on the wrist" of some kind, but the wording with the "tension" crap swings me back fully to Dolph's side.

Brian Ferentz can act like a maniac in the press box, swearing, trying to get to the replay officials and gets nothing. Dolph gets suspended for this. What a fvcking joke of an AD we have

Brian DID get dressed down to some degree.

What Dolph did was a bit stupid. But the press release, with the "tension" crap, has me fully back in Dolph's corner. F*ck Fran, Learfield, Barta and the University of Iowa.

Never spoken to Dolph before, obviously @RobHowe knows him way better, but I don’t like how in every single apology he’s given he’s gotta use “we” and “our.”

I think he’s trying do deflect blame which, valid or not, is a scummy way to do things. What’s really at issue here was him calling Dailey out by name, not the recruiting remarks. Hansen wasn’t part of that and never called anyone out.

I don’t think he’s the greatest PxP guy out there by a mile, but I always had a loveable dork appreciation for the guy sort of like Harry Caray. But now...I really have lost a bunch of respect for the guy as a person for being a weasel and not owning up to what he did by himself. You called a kid out on air, got in trouble for it, own up to the shit like a big boy. Don’t trot out the “we” and “our” crap. Last time I checked, he’s the one getting suspended, not his partner. I don’t disagree with what all of what he said but that’s immaterial. Don’t throw someone else under the bus to save your own ass.

Am I way off base here? I mean every time he’s apologized he said “we” get frustrated, and “we” need to do a better job, and “our” apologies to Fran and Maishe, and “we” won’t let it happen again...Eff that.

I think he's speaking as "We ALL at Learfield". Let's not forget, Dolph was only HALF the problem, here. And Hansen could have simply silenced him instead of "UM-hmmm" in agreement through the convo.

Latest posts