Uh Oh

He should be switched from play-by-play to something else where he's not in the spotlight. His basketball play-by-play is brutal.

GD: Iowa wins the opening tip....and that's another 3 by Team X. It's 12-2 Team X.

Me: Wait? What? WTF just happened??

He looked pretty down leaving the arena last night. Iowa SID said he'd see him Friday night and GD said he hoped so.

Fran was not happy and I'm guessing it's because he singled out Dailey. There was plenty of blame to go around in the first half.

The hardest thing for GD will be rebuilding his relationship with the coaches and players.

Sherman Dillard issued a Tweet this morning supporting Dailey.

I'm sorry, but the fact that they feel the need to tweet their support just lends credibility to those of us that think the team is mentally weak. Prove me wrong, Fran.

I'm sorry, but the fact that they feel the need to tweet their support just lends credibility to those of us that think the team is mentally weak. Prove me wrong, Fran.

It's the world we live in. People feel the need to share a continual flow of opinions on social and media...and also on message boards. I wouldn't equate that to the assistants and this team being mentally weak. It's a societal thing. Let's run to social media or other outlets with our hot takes and making sure no one is being offended.

It's the world we live in. People feel the need to share a continual flow of opinions on social and media...and also on message boards. I wouldn't equate that to the assistants and this team being mentally weak. It's a societal thing. Let's run to social media or other outlets with our hot takes and making sure no one is being offended.
Maybe so, but didn't we hear (from a media source??) about 8 or 9 months ago that the players really let criticism on social media affect them last season? I'm pretty sure there was a thread on it here.

I hate that you have to feel bad for an opinion or a belief. That being said, id keep all opinions to myself if im around a microphone and im "kinda" working for the university. He and Bobby should get those 0-10 facial expression cards to show non-verbal pain level instead.pain_scale_graphic_499_202.jpg

Maybe so, but didn't we hear (from a media source??) about 8 or 9 months ago that the players really let criticism on social media affect them last season? I'm pretty sure there was a thread on it here.

It most certainly did and anyone saying otherwise would have a tough time convincing me otherwise!!

I think there's a difference between criticism, some of it anonymous, on social media and a player on the team being singled out by the team's play-by-play voice.

Dolphin is essentially a member of the team. He travels with the team. He stays at the team hotel. He's employed by the university through Learfield. I would imagine the coaches and teammates are supporting Dailey. Nothing wrong with that.

I think there's a difference between criticism, some of it anonymous, on social media and a player on the team being singled out by the team's play-by-play voice.

Dolphin is essentially a member of the team. He travels with the team. He stays at the team hotel. He's employed by the university through Learfield. I would imagine the coaches and teammates are supporting Dailey. Nothing wrong with that.
Dont you think the toughest thing (assuming he keeps his job) will be traveling with the team? He flies with them, same hotel, etc., and to have to do that with a team that probably doesn’t like you anymore and a coach that might feel the same way would just suck. I don’t know if I’d want to do it regardless of whether I got punished or not. Talk about a depressing work place. I’m thinking I’d apologize to MD and go separate ways. Dolph can’t be paycheck to paycheck after all these years.

We all know that Dailey and the rest of the team/staff would accept his apology at its face value, but in reality they’re still going to think he’s a dick. I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t want to be stuck on a plane or in a hotel for months with a group of dudes giving me the cold shoulder.

Might be time to just admit he effed up (not that he was necessarily wrong, just can’t really do that at work), and go retire to the golf course.

Good grief, TK. Read your own post 3 times, take a deep breath, then say to yourself, "Yeah. I guess what I wrote makes no sense."

Whether the team is emotionally fragile or not, the coaches should always and will always rush to their defense. That is simply what you do.

Dont you think the toughest thing (assuming he keeps his job) will be traveling with the team? He flies with them, same hotel, etc., and to have to do that with a team that probably doesn’t like you anymore and a coach that might feel the same way would just suck. I don’t know if I’d want to do it regardless of whether I got punished or not. Talk about a depressing work place. I’m thinking I’d apologize to MD and go separate ways. Dolph can’t be paycheck to paycheck after all these years.

We all know that Dailey and the rest of the team/staff would accept his apology at its face value, but in reality they’re still going to think he’s a dick. I don’t know about anyone else but I don’t want to be stuck on a plane or in a hotel for months with a group of dudes giving me the cold shoulder.

Might be time to just admit he effed up (not that he was necessarily wrong, just can’t really do that at work), and go retire to the golf course.

He's fine financially. He loves what he does, though, and wouldn't want to go out that way.

As I wrote earlier, the toughest part of the situation will be mending a relationship with a team of which he is a part. It's hard to know how that will play out.

He's fine financially. He loves what he does, though, and wouldn't want to go out that way.

As I wrote earlier, the toughest part of the situation will be mending a relationship with a team of which he is a part. It's hard to know how that will play out.

Mending fences with Dailey will be easy. A few hundred dollar gift card to Eastbay will surely allow him to regain favor.

Repairs with Fran and staff maybe a tougher task. Gary should offer his services to be the bag man and go get us one of those coveted PG's.

I think it's more a show of support and solidarity with their players. How can that be a bad thing?

i can understand why fran would be unhappy about this because he now has problem to manage. he could use this as motivation or the team could go the other way. an unwanted problem to have.

however, free speech is free speech and if barta does anything to reprimand or otherwise punish hansen/dolph, then barta needs to be run out of town. seriously, it's free speech. that's one of the things this whole country was founded on. barta, needs to tread lightly.
Free speech doesn't extend to University employees. Dolph works for Learfield and the UofI I believe. The bottom line is Dolph could be fired but Fran and Barta would have to deal with the backlash from fans. This would be a good time for Fran to show off his sense of good humor and be a little self-deprecating. It would be a good time to show fans he has a sense of humor. Played right Fran can come out relating to fans and looking like a human being.

Maishe Dailey has an opportunity here.

I can envision him coming out for warmups....go over to the broadcast table and giving Dolph a big handshake and man hug. The crowd would love it...it would cut the air and set a good tone for the game.

You gotta brush up on your employment law.

Free speech might be free speech, but at-will employment is also at-will employment.

1) If Dolph got fired he's not the type of guy to go on a media tirade about it. He'd be super embarrassed and leave voluntarily with an apology.

2) He's obviously not an hourly employee and has some sort of contract. The easiest and most likely way to get rid of him (which isn't going to happen anyway) is to just pay him the rest of the way out and be done with it. He'd have no recourse at all then.

Bottom line, people can and do get fired for saying shit that their bosses don't like.
We're going to see a day in the future where employers will be able to inject their employees with serum, monitor their thoughts, and be able to discipline them based on what they THINK.

Some companies are already implanting ID chips in their employees arms, etc. The future in some ways is a frightening place.