Tyler Cook

Don’t disagree. Would you blame him if he is pondering his future and the future of the program?

I assume his goal is the NBA. I also assume he'll test the NBA waters this offseason like Jok did. I also assume the NBA scouts will tell him he needs to work harder at defense and rebounding and keep improving his outside shot.

From there its up to Tyler Cook on whether he wants to improve those areas or not.

Just curious what you're basing that off of? Uthoff, Marble, Jok and White all seemed to develop under Fran just fine. All 4 of them went from limited minutes to 1st team all big ten in their time at Iowa.
Develop or just get more playing time? I don’t think those players really improved they just got to play more

Develop or just get more playing time? I don’t think those players really improved they just got to play more

I get people are mad at Fran - but really? Really?

jiFfM.jpg

How many were busts?

What's a bust? Every player that doesn't make All B1G? College basketball is full of roll players. Not every kid becomes a star or has mass production. A bust is a player who flat out can't help the team in any way. How many of those would you say Fran's had? That's why you have 13 scholarships in a sport that only 5 players play at a time. A lot of Fran's "busts" have transferred out, which is actually a good thing for the program.

White and Marble played a lot of minutes but worked even harder. Uthoff went from raw as hell to a stud. Jok went from limited minutes to the Big Ten's leading scorer.

Jok/Uthoff/Woodbury are still in the G-league. White is playing in the best basketball league in Europe. Marble even started 7 games for the Magic (thanks to injuries).

I think Cook is developing this year. He's starting to take that 15 to 18 foot jumper with some success. He's had to develop that because 1 guy can't seem to guard him and teams are starting to double him low. Hopefully he starts to pass out of the double teams better. My guess is he isnt going anywhere but to his jr. year as a Hawk

These kids are told how great they are from the time they are 8 years old and when they face adversity, they don't always know how to handle it. I expect a few kids will leave the program and that's OK, but I also expect the ones that stay will put in the work in the off-season to be a better team next season.

What's a bust? Every player that doesn't make All B1G? College basketball is full of roll players. Not every kid becomes a star or has mass production. A bust is a player who flat out can't help the team in any way. How many of those would you say Fran's had? That's why you have 13 scholarships in a sport that only 5 players play at a time. A lot of Fran's "busts" have transferred out, which is actually a good thing for the program.
What's a "roll" player?

They were first team BIG 10 for cripes sakes. You don't get selected just because you got to play more.

In addition, McCaffery got Hasbrook from Sienna to the NBA so the guy can get players there. He may have gotten others as well, for all I know.

I assume his goal is the NBA. I also assume he'll test the NBA waters this offseason like Jok did. I also assume the NBA scouts will tell him he needs to work harder at defense and rebounding and keep improving his outside shot.

From there its up to Tyler Cook on whether he wants to improve those areas or not.

Because that inspired Jok to give effort on D(I am kidding). In all seriousness, we all know what the holes in TC’s game are and I agree it is up to him to put the work in. The question becomes what type of environment does he need to put the work in at. Is it Iowa City? Overseas? Another school?

No crap. I was wondering the same thing. Anybody even getting a sniff of the NBA or playing professionally oversees I wouldn't classify as a bust. Cripes sake. Certain people!

What's a "roll" player?

Seriously? Your kidding, right!? :eek:

Dennis Rodman was a role player. Kyle Corver is a role player. Guys who may not have an overall great game but helps a team in a certain area, like Dennis Rodman rebounding or Corver shooting 3's. Many are one-dimensional that fill a team "roll". Some are lock down defenders.

Because that inspired Jok to give effort on D(I am kidding). In all seriousness, we all know what the holes in TC’s game are and I agree it is up to him to put the work in. The question becomes what type of environment does he need to put the work in at. Is it Iowa City? Overseas? Another school?

If he goes overseas he'll never sniff the NBA. Very rarely do players go overseas and come back to the NBA.

If he transfers to another school he'll have to sit out an entire season. When you're already getting 30 minutes in the Big Ten I'm not sure why you would consider something that drastic.

Seriously? Your kidding, right!? :eek:

Dennis Rodman was a role player. Kyle Corver is a role player. Guys who may not have an overall great game but helps a team in a certain area, like Dennis Rodman rebounding or Corver shooting 3's. Many are one-dimensional that fill a team "roll". Some are lock down defenders.
I know what a role player is. Not sure about a "roll" player though

Latest posts