Tyler Cook

Rumors are picking up steam that he will be gone. When you factor in turnovers, lazy rebounding, and lazy defense, I'm not sure if he's even a plus player tho. He has the ability tho. So if he leaves, it will definitely suck.

Where are these rumors appearing? I haven't seen them, but then again, I haven't looked much.

Well, if players start leaving, then it's the beginning of the end IMO. And I mean key players, not guys at the end of the bench.

Kinda sucks because I've always liked Fran and wanted him to succeed but I've lost the faith..

Gee, sure am glad Barta snuck that extension and extra buyout in there..
I still like Fran. He’s got a passion for the hame and no one can argue that he doesn’t get emotionally invested in his teams.

But that doesn’t mean he’s the right guy anymore.

In the words of the immortal Don Henley,

“Baby sometimes love just ain’t enough.”​

If Cook wants to get to the NBA sooner then later, he should stay and be a stand out at Iowa in the B1G. If he wants to be in the NBA when he's 23-24 - he should transfer to a better situation. If he wants to make money now -he should go play over seas.

... I hate to see our players having to play under these conditions. And 3/4 of them would be much better served playing at the mid major level. Such a sad state of affairs our program is right now.

As a fan....sure I want these guys to stay (Jordan, Cook, Garza, incoming players like Joe W). But, if I knew them personally, I would certainly understand if they looked at other options.

Well ... they are getting mid-major level coaching from this staff. Have you ever read the bio's? Not exactly your "Who's Who" of playing and coaching notoriety, let alone, success.

There are just so many deficits in their experience and abilities that are being exposed ...
- Their background is a bunch of guards who have a very myopic, one-dimensional strategical perspective, which, as it's played out and is repeatedly displayed, ends up being discombobulated diffusion ... never trying to emphasize and scheme around talent ... everyone has the green-light ... disruptive, non-nonsensical rotations ...

- From day-1, it was obvious to me they have little appreciation for, let alone, ability to coach, a front court.

- As many have observed, has a single assistant ever been poached for bigger and better opportunities? Oh, wait, they're just loyal to Fran and like being his assistants. That's an even bigger problem, because that means they're complacent and have given up.

I wholeheartedly agree, it's a sad state of affairs for Iowa basketball.

is a symptom of this teams defensive cancer.. some of the lack of effort horrible defense I've seen lately -

Maybe he needs to go see if he can make the NBA... because he is a big part of the problem.

I've noticed he definitely lacks the basic fundamentals. Is that the AAU influence?
Are they learning pick-up ball too much, and defining each's game, but not learning team ball in AAU?

Sometimes I think AAU can be a negative. The players work on their individual games such as various shots, ball handling, etc., but what is often lost if not on the right AAU team or AAU coach, is learning great team ball like back in the 1980's. Now seems to be just spread out and isolation plays, unless your jersey has the name Purdue on the front.

Last edited:
If Cook wants to get to the NBA sooner then later, he should stay and be a stand out at Iowa in the B1G. If he wants to be in the NBA when he's 23-24 - he should transfer to a better situation. If he wants to make money now -he should go play over seas.
You don't get it. Cook is not going to develop the way he needs to under fran. His only chance is to transfer because Fran isnt going anywhere.

You don't get it. Cook is not going to develop the way he needs to under fran. His only chance is to transfer because Fran isnt going anywhere.

No I get it fine. Tell me that Fran hasn't proven he can develop players. Then we'll see that you don't get it.

Wow. A lot of whining going on here. Cook is either our best or 2nd best player. Is he perfect? Of course not but all this talk of hoping he leaves after this year is just a bunch of knee jerk negative Nancyism. If he were to leave along with JBo next year it'd be a disaster worse then what it is now. I think Cook could learn a lot from Garza on how to play hard all the time. I really wish that'd rub off on him more. There's a lot of things I wish would happen with this group. But utterly dismantalling the team isn't one of them. Cook is a good kid. Came here as a 4 star recruit who had a ton of options. He didn't have to come to Iowa but he's chosen to. I sure hope he don't give up the way some of the fans have. He's not a finished product yet some big guys aren't till their senior year. It's crazy how nowadays if your not an NBA lottery pick after your first year all of a sudden the kid is worthless. If your going to have unrealistic expectations then your going to get let down a heck of a lot.

He doesn't have the hands or reaction time to play in the league.

He doesn't have the defense or consistent 12-15 ft shot. He's undersized to just play the low post and they would eat him up and take away the only game he has right now. If he doesn't play good defense, the point differential with what he can give a team and what he gives up guarding on the court is not there. Right now he is pretty much a one dimensional player. Not just one-dimensional on offense, one dimensional as a complete player, which is not good.

If I was picking a team, at this point, I'd first pick Garza over Cook. At least with Garza you get an outside shot, a little more height, and can hope you can up his defensive game. I think there is more upside. I think you get a bit more bang for the buck with him.

I mean I like Cook as an individual. He seems decent and doesn't cause any problems, but the dude's gotta step it up! This isn't AAU ball anymore and he needs to realize this is really an extended job interview for possible better opportunities.

drop mic.

That could very well end up being accurate that still doesn’t change his mindset. If he is looking for the best path to the NBA it may require him to leave Iowa City. Transferring to a different school, playing overseas he needs to get coached up and coached hard and that likely won’t be enough to make it. It would just give him more of an opportunity than staying at Iowa.

He is in a tough spot right now. His game has a lot of warts, but I want him to stay at Iowa.

No, he needs to prove it in Iowa City. Become the big fish in the small pond. That's when one gets noticed.

Dom Uhl exhibitA for player undevelopment.
Feel bad for this kid.
He’s had a hand in some wins last couple years.
Works hard, has some skllls at 6 9.
Never developed a shot, and appears no one worked with him to change it.
Then gets benched his Senior year.
Helluva job for the kid there staff, helluva job...
Just my opinion but a lot of player development comes from the player wanting to put the work in. This Iowa staff has proven the ability to develop players and certainly work with jump shooters.

Uhl has an awkward shot but it’s likely he didn’t feel the need to change it because of his hot shooting sophomore year. Anyway he always appeared to be his own worst enemy in that he was a mental midget.

Funny how it goes, last year everyone on this board hated Dom and loved Pemsl, this year everyone hates Pemsl, and now wants Dom.

He doesn't have the defense or consistent 12-15 ft shot. He's undersized to just play the low post and they would eat him up and take away the only game he has right now. If he doesn't play good defense, the point differential with what he can give a team and what he gives up guarding on the court is not there. Right now he is pretty much a one dimensional player. Not just one-dimensional on offense, one dimensional as a complete player, which is not good.

If I was picking a team, at this point, I'd first pick Garza over Cook. At least with Garza you get an outside shot, a little more height, and can hope you can up his defensive game. I think there is more upside. I think you get a bit more bang for the buck with him.

I mean I like Cook as an individual. He seems decent and doesn't cause any problems, but the dude's gotta step it up! This isn't AAU ball anymore and he needs to realize this is really an extended job interview for possible better opportunities.

drop mic.
Part of Iowa's issues as a team is their inconsistency at using their players. I think Cook could be better utilized with touches. We do a fairly good job of getting him early touches in the paint in transition. But in the half court our spacing is usually terrible and he's got to be better at making a quicker move in the post when he gets the ball. He likes to get a read on how he's being played before making his move when there's times he should be anticipating and making his move quicker. Going slow and deliberate tends to allow D to double etc. Then Iowa's guys tend to stand around and watch. Cook is a guy that should be drawing fouls left and right. He should be at the line no less than 5 times a game. Early and often. Yet there's plenty of games he barely gets there.

With TC and the NBA talk.
Does anyone on this site actually watch the NBA?
Cook at maybe 6 6-7 would be a 3.

How many 3’s in the NBA can’t handle, catch the ball or drain the 3 pointer?

Tyler at this point should be polishing up his Greek to match his current skill set.

Cook has a snowball's chance in hell at the NBA. Yes indeed...he's Europe-bound

Latest posts