Tyler Cook

IF we lose Cook, that fact will be brought up approximately 500 times in Iowa's telecasts next year

Dave Revsine: Iowa just can't match the offensive firepower of the Nittany Lions today. It was a physical mismatch inside from the start.

Steven Bardo:. While it sounds like a broken record the Hawkeyes really could have used the athleticism and physical presence of a player like Tyler Cook. He is the missing ingredient on this team. I will say this, however. Yes Iowa is down 85-71 right now but these young players and their stellar recruiting class are going to make them a force to be reckoned with next year.

Prepare to be sick of it. IF it happens.

Last edited:
IF we lose Cook, that fact will be brought up approximately 500 times in Iowa's telecasts next year

Dave Revsine: Iowa just can't match the offensive firepower of the Nittany Lions today. It was a physical mismatch inside from the start.

Steven Bardo:. While it sounds like a broken record the Hawkeyes really could have used the athleticism and physical presence of a player like Tyler Cook. He is the missing ingredient on this team.

Prepare to be sick of it. IF it happens.
As well as being used as an excuse for Fran...

He reminds me so much of Greg Stokes, who scored a few points in a Hawkeye uniform. Greg at the college level was a defensive liability much of his career to and believe it or not he didn't always bring it every night early in his career. I would be sad to see Tyler go but sadder if staying makes him miserable. We probably need to let all of them get away for a bit and clear their heads. That was a tough season for us fans. You can imagine what it was like for the players.

Interesting comparison. Stokes had a better offensive game, but wasn't as physical as TC.

Yep. Not my point. It’s possible Iowa could be better without Cook.
14 wins is not much of a bar.

My point in all these “Iowa > sans Cook is: I wonder how many fans from other programs have said, “we’re going to be better after losing our best player”?

And then say it for 5 consecutive years.

I wonder what the reaction would be on this site if ISU fans were saying that for 5-6 years.

If a team goes 5 years losing their "best player" and the team still has issues, there are more issues than just losing the said "best players". Competitive teams overcome losing players.

For the record, I never stated Iowa would be better without Cook. I'd rather have him on the team.

If a team goes 5 years losing their "best player" and the team still has issues, there are more issues than just losing the said "best players". Competitive teams overcome losing players.
and one of those issues is Iowa isn’t Kentucky with one and dones to plug and play. They can overcome their best player leaving with their next lottery pick.

Iowa’s best players have been 4- or 5- year seniors until this season. Fran’s problem is he hasn’t had the 2nd best player ready for 1/2 or more of his seasons at Iowa and never a 3rd best player ready so opponents can’t key off of 1-2 guys.

this season his senior class is non-existent and next year’s class will only be a previous B1G 6th man. The best player will be a junior so things will improve.

For the record, I never stated Iowa would be better without Cook. I'd rather have him on the team.
i know. Me too.

Yep. Not my point. It’s possible Iowa could be better without Cook.
14 wins is not much of a bar.

My point in all these “Iowa > sans Cook is: I wonder how many fans from other programs have said, “we’re going to be better after losing our best player”?

And then say it for 5 consecutive years.

I wonder what the reaction would be on this site if ISU fans were saying that for 5-6 years.

There is a difference between saying you will be better because you are losing your best player, and saying you will be better in spite of losing your best player. Getting better because you lose your best player is rare. Getting better despite losing your best player happens all the time.

There is a difference between saying you will be better because you are losing your best player, and saying you will be better in spite of losing your best player.
yes, I suppose. Pretty much a distinction with no difference; the former is nearly universally a fan perception of team chemistry.

I’ve read a few that have made the case that TC wanting to move on has been a cancer on the team so Iowa will be better when the cancer is removed. That’s “because”.

Iowa doesn’t have talent to replace TC next season. That’s in spite of.

Iowa would not be better without Cook.

Getting better because you lose your best player is rare. Getting better despite losing your best player happens all the time.
we have different definitions of “all the time.”

It happens almost none of the time at Iowa.

yes, I suppose. Pretty much a distinction with no difference; the former is nearly universally a fan perception of team chemistry.

I’ve read a few that have made the case that TC wanting to move on has been a cancer on the team so Iowa will be better when the cancer is removed. That’s “because”.

Iowa doesn’t have talent to replace TC next season. That’s in spite of.

Iowa would not be better without Cook.

we have different definitions of “all the time.”

It happens almost none of the time at Iowa.

Well if Cook was the reason for bad team chemistry, the team would be better without him. If one player made every one else not care to play hard, of course the team would be better if he left. That's a no brainer. That said, I don't believe Cook is a cancer in the slightest.

I read all these posts....sounded just like Todd lickliter was our coach... The thing I find odd is it Fran cannot recruit a stud point guard. We have a lot of talent. But mostly in the front line. Moss has been inconsistent. If Jordan could be the shooting guard and have a point guard that could get him and Moss shots then maybe we could play the three guard offense like most of the country is currently playing. We have the four and five spot players to do this.

Interesting comparison. Stokes had a better offensive game, but wasn't as physical as TC.
Back in the day of the Iowa Television Network play by play commentator (and KWWL sports anchor) Bob Hogue was known for two catch phrases. "OHHH MYYY!" and "STOKES WITH THE JAM!" In Stokes' case, he sometimes used both on the same play.

Last edited:

Latest posts