Turner going all Harlem Globetrotter on Lil Lick

Only video I can find of it...it's at about 10-11 second mark.

**Edit - Youtube sucks and it keeps error-ing out.

Last edited:
That video clearly shows that was not "Harlem Globetrotters." In fact, Lick's reverse layup was 10 times better than that!

I thought I had a bit of respect for Turner after the first Iowa match-up when he gave props to Eric May & stated he could be a superstar. Then he pulled that in the 2nd game & the respect I had was gone. Just another guy that's starting to think he is bigger than the game. The way he strutted around oun the court, he thought he was all that. He wasn't too cocky when May went full-court & jammed on his azz!! That was nice. May seemed to just keep elevated & levitating. I didn't think he was going to throw it down but did.

Not taking anything away from Turner, he has fantastic skills. But, he has a little punk in him and will fit right in at the next level. He's the guy that thinks he gets fouled everytime he misses a shot. Happened numerous times yesterday. With that being said, he schooled us yesterday!

I thought I had a bit of respect for Turner after the first Iowa match-up when he gave props to Eric May & stated he could be a superstar. Then he pulled that in the 2nd game & the respect I had was gone. Just another guy that's starting to think he is bigger than the game. The way he strutted around oun the court, he thought he was all that. He wasn't too cocky when May went full-court & jammed on his azz!! That was nice. May seemed to just keep elevated & levitating. I didn't think he was going to throw it down but did.

Um Turner was all that and then some on the basketball floor and Iowa couldn't do a damn thing to stop him.

So now all of sudden Turner is POS to some of you and yet you refuse to acknowledge that he went Globetrotter or Lil Lick...kind of funny if you ask me.

Evan Turner leads the big10 in points and rebounding. He is 2nd in the league for assists and third in the league for steals. He IS that and a bag of chips. Especially since the kid broke his back THIS season.

So now all of sudden Turner is POS to some of you and yet you refuse to acknowledge that he went Globetrotter or Lil Lick...kind of funny if you ask me.

Evan Turner leads the big10 in points and rebounding. He is 2nd in the league for assists and third in the league for steals. He IS that and a bag of chips. Especially since the kid broke his back THIS season.

No one is saying he isn't a hell of a player. What they are saying is it was a bush league classless move and anyone who thinks it was funny is in the same boat as Turner.

I really didn't have a problem with it, to be honest. Lickliter gives up a foot when guarding Turner, plus Turner was standing straight up and Lickliter was in a defensive position, so the height discrepancy was even more obvious. Plus, he was right up in Turner's face, so if Lickito gives him a little space by looking where Turner put the ball, that's all the space Turner needs. Just a glorified ball fake...

Man, I have said over and over and over and over again that I understand why John has to play spot minutes since Tucker Part II. I get it.

I dont get 24 minutes vs Michigan (nor did a lot of those that cover Iowa Men's Hoops), and I dont get the comments from Todd last Monday.

Fine, tell us what YOU would have done differently given the circumstances and THE FACT that Cully Payne was very sick. Given THE FACT that Tucker is suspended for drinking issues wouldn't it have been better if John had gotten those minutes? I can't see your logic at all. Coach's problem is he is too honest. I guess he should just make up a BS answer so everyone would be satisfied. Personally I find it refreshing, even though I can't always agree.

Not to mention that what Coach really meant was John should have been getting minutes earlier so that he was more prepared when he was forced into playing by Tucker's selfishness. Also, most of the time coaches don't want the opposing teams or the media to know in team stuff like when a player is sick.

Posts in this thread are a big reason I don't read or post much in the basketball forum.

Spank I feel for you, keep fighting the good fight.

On final thing, I would take Lil Lick over Troy Skinner any day and that guy wasn't a walk on.

Only reason Skinner played point was Mr. Davis got caught without any true point guards one season and Skinner was the least lousy alternative. He was a wing player that lost his shot after the staff was finished 'fixing' it.

Posts in this thread are a big reason I don't read or post much in the basketball forum.

Spank I feel for you, keep fighting the good fight.

On final thing, I would take Lil Lick over Troy Skinner any day and that guy wasn't a walk on.

Spank does not agree with you..... He said Skinner was WAY better than John Lickliter, I seem to remember him breaking out stats. Maybe even high school stats.

Not to mention that what Coach really meant was John should have been getting minutes earlier so that he was more prepared when he was forced into playing by Tucker's selfishness. Also, most of the time coaches don't want the opposing teams or the media to know in team stuff like when a player is sick.

So you seem to know what coach is really thinking when he is speaking. Why don't you ask him to speak what he thinks instead of misleading the whole world when it comes to two current issues:

1) The Lil John playing time
2) When / If Tucker is going to play at Iowa again

We're not going to surprise anyone. We're not on the fringe of making a run to make the NCAAs or even the NIT. This year is thrown away already so how 'bout we just chalk up a few wins to end the season, get all the kids that are going to be part of the team next year some meaningful conference PT (including Brommer and Tucker) or tell it like it is?

So you seem to know what coach is really thinking when he is speaking. Why don't you ask him to speak what he thinks instead of misleading the whole world when it comes to two current issues:

1) The Lil John playing time
2) When / If Tucker is going to play at Iowa again

We're not going to surprise anyone. We're not on the fringe of making a run to make the NCAAs or even the NIT. This year is thrown away already so how 'bout we just chalk up a few wins to end the season, get all the kids that are going to be part of the team next year some meaningful conference PT (including Brommer and Tucker) or tell it like it is?

I don't know what he is thinking, however, I think I can understand what he was saying. As for 1) He doesn't owe anyone an explanation
and as to 2) Nobody outside of the team has knowledge of all of the factors that will go into why, when, or if Tucker will play again, and it is a team issue and again doesn't owe the outside world an explanation.

If a coach doesn't "owe" fans anything or any explanation, than that coach (or supporters of the coach) can't gripe and moan when those fans don’t feel the need to fill the seats. It works both ways. Once a coach doesn't feel somewhat accountable to his/her fan base, the fan base in turn owes no loyalty to the coach.

The folks that spout off the "Support your team regardless" argument can't have it both ways.

Basketball is a multifaceted entity. It doesn't serve the needs of only one entity.

1. It's an activity/career for players and coaches,
2. It's a revenue maker for the university
3. It's entertainment for consumers (i.e. fans).

We can have a conversation about the which of these three are the biggest priority but regardless once it no longer becomes entertaining to the masses it no longer becomes a revenue maker for the university and ultimately no reason for a high(er) paid coach.

Ergo If the University of Iowa ever wants to have a basketball program that generates revenue, its coach better darn well do what it takes to appease fans and get them back into the seats. For me that includes answering questions about why his son, a walk-on who by everyone's opinion (including Coach Lickliter) isn't a Big 10 caliber player, saw major playing time during a conference game.

I think all of us fans will be around a lot longer than Lick, and if not for said fans there would be no reason to overpay a coach.

This is a business and the CEO(Barta) and board members(Coaches) do have to answer to the stock holders. (fans)

I dont have a problem with the term scrub. Look long and hard enough for the best competition and sooner or later, you will qualify as a scrub. Unless you are one of the top 10 NBA players in the league.

This thread is great...people like hooper who can't read, then the people who are mad at Evan Turner for making a kid who doesn't belong look like he doesn't belong.

Why would you lose respect for Turner? What did he do that was against the rules or classless? He was playing basketball, is there something wrong with that?

BTW, John Lickliter is a scrub. We could find a better walkon in the rec center.

Latest posts