Turner going all Harlem Globetrotter on Lil Lick

This thread is great...people like hooper who can't read, then the people who are mad at Evan Turner for making a kid who doesn't belong look like he doesn't belong.

Why would you lose respect for Turner? What did he do that was against the rules or classless? He was playing basketball, is there something wrong with that?

BTW, John Lickliter is a scrub. We could find a better walkon in the rec center.

You would find someone taller and faster, however those do not = better.

It does if your talking about John Lickliter

Lickliter is bout 5'10''. I'm just about 6'0''. My senior year I was probably a bit faster than Lil Lick. Guess that means I would have qualified as a better player? Cool.

P.S.-I was captain of my high school student section because I was HORRIBLE at basketball. I had no handles whatsoever, made okay passes, didn't have any kind of game inside the 3-point arc, was inconsistent from beyond the arc, and had a basically useless left hand. But since I was taller and faster, I would have been considered better than Lickliter. Good call.

Lickliter is bout 5'10''. I'm just about 6'0''. My senior year I was probably a bit faster than Lil Lick. Guess that means I would have qualified as a better player? Cool.

P.S.-I was captain of my high school student section because I was HORRIBLE at basketball. I had no handles whatsoever, made okay passes, didn't have any kind of game inside the 3-point arc, was inconsistent from beyond the arc, and had a basically useless left hand. But since I was taller and faster, I would have been considered better than Lickliter. Good call.

"Captain of my high school student section" You sound like a winner...:rolleyes:

If your taller and faster, I'll take you on my team over Lickliter, granted its not much of an accomplishment.

"Captain of my high school student section" You sound like a winner...:rolleyes:

If your taller and faster, I'll take you on my team over Lickliter, granted its not much of an accomplishment.

I told you I was terrible at basketball. I was much more helpful to the team by keeping the crowd in games than by trying to actually play the game. And as far as my being a "winner", I was a starter on the football team for two years, was captain of the baseball team, and made All-District hitting .353 with 24 runs scored in 22 games. Winter was the only time I sat out. So don't pigeonhole me just because I was better off in the student section at basketball games.

Trust me, watch me play sometime, and you'd take Lick in a heartbeat. He doesn't turn the ball over like I would.

I told you I was terrible at basketball. I was much more helpful to the team by keeping the crowd in games than by trying to actually play the game. And as far as my being a "winner", I was a starter on the football team for two years, was captain of the baseball team, and made All-District hitting .353 with 24 runs scored in 22 games. Winter was the only time I sat out. So don't pigeonhole me just because I was better off in the student section at basketball games.

Trust me, watch me play sometime, and you'd take Lick in a heartbeat. He doesn't turn the ball over like I would.

Nope, no Lickliter doesn't play on my team.

Captain of the student section...lol

Did you make all state for that too?

So you seem to know what coach is really thinking when he is speaking. Why don't you ask him to speak what he thinks instead of misleading the whole world when it comes to two current issues:

1) The Lil John playing time
2) When / If Tucker is going to play at Iowa again

We're not going to surprise anyone. We're not on the fringe of making a run to make the NCAAs or even the NIT. This year is thrown away already so how 'bout we just chalk up a few wins to end the season, get all the kids that are going to be part of the team next year some meaningful conference PT (including Brommer and Tucker) or tell it like it is?

Maybe we should ask KF to stop misleading the media and the fans? This is not an islolated case to the University of Iowa, all coaches do it.

Nope, no Lickliter doesn't play on my team.

Captain of the student section...lol

Did you make all state for that too?

So are you saying fans don't make a difference? You should ask that question to the Iowa BB players. Or the Iowa FB players for that matter to see what they say?

How many times can the same argument be had about Lil Lick on this board?

Here is one fact that we can all agree on:

1) Lil Lick is not a Big Ten caliber player

I cant get over how much energy has been wasted debating the merits of a walk on player who plays an average of 8 mpg

If a coach doesn't "owe" fans anything or any explanation, than that coach (or supporters of the coach) can't gripe and moan when those fans don’t feel the need to fill the seats. It works both ways. Once a coach doesn't feel somewhat accountable to his/her fan base, the fan base in turn owes no loyalty to the coach.

The folks that spout off the "Support your team regardless" argument can't have it both ways.

Basketball is a multifaceted entity. It doesn't serve the needs of only one entity.

1. It's an activity/career for players and coaches,
2. It's a revenue maker for the university
3. It's entertainment for consumers (i.e. fans).

We can have a conversation about the which of these three are the biggest priority but regardless once it no longer becomes entertaining to the masses it no longer becomes a revenue maker for the university and ultimately no reason for a high(er) paid coach.

Ergo If the University of Iowa ever wants to have a basketball program that generates revenue, its coach better darn well do what it takes to appease fans and get them back into the seats. For me that includes answering questions about why his son, a walk-on who by everyone's opinion (including Coach Lickliter) isn't a Big 10 caliber player, saw major playing time during a conference game.

KF doesn't answer all the questions that fans want answered and what the hell do you expect Lick to say that he wants fewer fans to come to the games?

I have said it before and will say it again, once this team starts winning again the fans will be back, right now as you pointed out people don't see it being worth the price of a ticket to watch them play.

Even if they fired Lick and brought in a Name coach (which neither will happen) there isn't going to be a huge increase in the number of tickets sold until the team starts winning.

You would find someone taller and faster, however those do not = better.

No but I play at the FH on a regular basis and there are a handful of point guards who are better than Lil Lick. He played up there all the time last year and fit in waaay to well with the rest of the people up there. However, the situation is what it is and I blame Tucker for this more than big Lick or lil Lick. He was put in a terrible situation and seems like a nice kid it just sucks that he has to guard the likes of Evan Turner.

It is hilarious how some of you (who I assume are the blue hairs on the board) are offended by the actions of Turner. He was clowning a coaches son who wouldn't see time on any other team, and I don't blame him for it because it shows how embarrassing our basketball team looks out there. I am honestly surprised more players don't take it to him like that. But fouling someone immediately after that move does not show that he "won" the situation.

Here is to Lick not seeing the court to much against NW's 1-3-1 because he is just not fast enough or tall enough to swing the ball against that top defender.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...

*breath*

HA HA HA HA HAH AHAHAHAHAHHA

Seriously, bragging about your numbers in high school baseball? Maybe next you should tell us how hot your girlfriend in Canada was.

KF doesn't answer all the questions that fans want answered and what the hell do you expect Lick to say that he wants fewer fans to come to the games?

I have said it before and will say it again, once this team starts winning again the fans will be back, right now as you pointed out people don't see it being worth the price of a ticket to watch them play.

Even if they fired Lick and brought in a Name coach (which neither will happen) there isn't going to be a huge increase in the number of tickets sold until the team starts winning.

I didn't say anything about a coach answering ALL the questions fans have. I'm saying a coach should feel accountable to the fan base. Ferentz was questioned about playing time between Christensen and Stanzi and responded to that questioning.

Winning takes care of a lot (if not all) of those issues. If Iowa were winning with John Lickliter on the floor, there would be no (or very few) complaints. But that's not where we are. We're losing, and on top of that, a player (who happens to be the coach’s son and even by his dad's admission) has no earthly business seeing any playing time, played 24 minutes in a conference game.

From an outsider's perspective there is nothing in that scenario that makes sense. I would argue it dissuades the fan base even more from buying into what the coach is trying to do with this team. (And make no mistake until this team starts winning, the biggest way coach Lickliter can help himself his to persuade the fans what he's trying to do with the program is going to work).

Arguably, he seems to be having a difficult time convincing his players the program is going to work.

So are you saying fans don't make a difference? You should ask that question to the Iowa BB players. Or the Iowa FB players for that matter to see what they say?

A high school student section doesn't make a difference you moron.

Comparing that to playing in a college environment with hundreds of thousands of fans makes you look like an idiot. (which you are)

I didn't say anything about a coach answering ALL the questions fans have. I'm saying a coach should feel accountable to the fan base. Ferentz was questioned about playing time between Christensen and Stanzi and responded to that questioning.

Winning takes care of a lot (if not all) of those issues. If Iowa were winning with John Lickliter on the floor, there would be no (or very few) complaints. But that's not where we are. We're losing, and on top of that, a player (who happens to be the coach’s son and even by his dad's admission) has no earthly business seeing any playing time, played 24 minutes in a conference game.

From an outsider's perspective there is nothing in that scenario that makes sense. I would argue it dissuades the fan base even more from buying into what the coach is trying to do with this team. (And make no mistake until this team starts winning, the biggest way coach Lickliter can help himself his to persuade the fans what he's trying to do with the program is going to work).

Arguably, he seems to be having a difficult time convincing his players the program is going to work.

I see your point but do you really think the casual fan that doesn't even watch games anymore really follows the box scores close enough to see how much playing time Lil Lick is getting?

Hell I know die hard fans that wouldn't remember that John played over 20 minutes vs. Mich.

Like you said if they were winning it wouldn't matter which I think only proves the point it's one more thing for people to ***** about since the team isn't winning.

OMG you were the one I argued with all afternoon the other day that was saying that its the coaches team and fans don't have any say and yadda yadda yadda youre a fraud.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA...

*breath*

HA HA HA HA HAH AHAHAHAHAHHA

Seriously, bragging about your numbers in high school baseball? Maybe next you should tell us how hot your girlfriend in Canada was.

I'm not trying to brag, just trying to make it clear that I was not just some fat pudwack who had nothing to contribute to athletics besides being in the student section, which is what the poster I replied to was trying to imply.

Best high school student section move of all time...remember the Nike shoes that they made the "Boing" commercials for? One of our players wore those shoes...and every time he had the ball and took a step the entire student section would yell...Boing...Boing...Boing.

It probably happened just about everywhere but we could not stop laughing.

Oh you didn't know...Ghost had his very own Nike commercial.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC94SJjFTYo&feature=related"]YouTube- Nike Shox Commercial[/ame]

I'm not trying to brag, just trying to make it clear that I was not just some fat pudwack who had nothing to contribute to athletics besides being in the student section, which is what the poster I replied to was trying to imply.

My advice is to let it go.

Why? For one, I doubt anyone believes you were a good baseball player in HS, and if they do believe you, I seriously doubt anyone cares. And two, being able to accurately quote your statistics from high school makes you sound like a loser who is hung up on the past, even when everyone else has forgotten about HS.

I mean honestly, is there anyone over the age of 19 in this country who still cares about high school?

Latest posts