Turner going all Harlem Globetrotter on Lil Lick

In the scheme of Big Ten basketball, a player that has John's limited skill set does not belong on the floor for 24 minutes, under any circumstance other than only having five guys left because of injury of fouls. Never. Ever.

Using the term scrub, if I could do it over, I would have used a different term, but one that had the exact same meaning...the point is he has no business being on the floor in a Big Ten game for that long unless its emergency circumstances. He just doesn't. It's not John's fault, it' a symptom of where the program is at.

Since I said it, I said it. You can't go back and change that. But you know what the meaning of the term is, and on the face of that, make a case for why he deserves that many minutes on the court, especially being followed up by his father saying on Monday that he should have played him more earlier in the season?

Dead on the first paragraph.

No, you can't go back and change using the term 'scrub.' But you've done your mea culpa so the only reason for the constant disparaging of you is they want their pound of flesh.

In the scheme of Big Ten basketball, a player that has John's limited skill set does not belong on the floor for 24 minutes, under any circumstance other than only having five guys left because of injury of fouls. Never. Ever.

Using the term scrub, if I could do it over, I would have used a different term, but one that had the exact same meaning...the point is he has no business being on the floor in a Big Ten game for that long unless its emergency circumstances. He just doesn't. It's not John's fault, it' a symptom of where the program is at.

Since I said it, I said it. You can't go back and change that. But you know what the meaning of the term is, and on the face of that, make a case for why he deserves that many minutes on the court, especially being followed up by his father saying on Monday that he should have played him more earlier in the season?
I don't think John L should be on the court for 24 minutes now either. It is not his fault either.

I agree with what another poster (sorry, I don't remember who) said in another thread. Coach may have said what he said a bit incorrectly. He may have meant to say John should have played more earlier in the year, so he would be more ready when he came in (not necessarily more minutes in a game). John did not play in any game until the 12th game of the season.

John only played 5 minutes today and not much more or less than that since he played 24 minutes in the one game. I think that we are seeing the norm now and the one game was an aberration. I think a little too much may have been made of the entire situation overall (including the response to what Jon has said).

IMO, it is just where we are as a fan group, a society, etc.

Civility, like Elvis, has left the building.

Jon, I would think you more than anybody would understand why John is playing this year and just leave it at that? I don't think it takes a rocket sceintist to figure out he shouldn't be on the court. Do some people just want Cully to take a pounding for 40 minutes per game???

Jon, I would think you more than anybody would understand why John is playing this year and just leave it at that? I don't think it takes a rocket sceintist to figure out he shouldn't be on the court. Do some people just want Cully to take a pounding for 40 minutes per game???

Man, I have said over and over and over and over again that I understand why John has to play spot minutes since Tucker Part II. I get it.

I dont get 24 minutes vs Michigan (nor did a lot of those that cover Iowa Men's Hoops), and I dont get the comments from Todd last Monday.

Yes. I would rather see Cully Payne play the whole 40 or make an adjustment so Lick Jr. does not have to be used. Its not a basketball law that you have to a true PG on the floor every second of the game...

Turner played globetrotter with the entire Iowa team.

But I suppose it's easier to pinpoint the coach's kid. It's pretty popular to do right now.

Agreed. And Turner would play globetrotter with virtually everyone who ever posted in this forum.

Turner looked like a piece of trash when he did that, as do the people on this forum reveling in it.

When said and done though it was nothing more than a ball fake, one lick didn't bite on, and on the following play lick took the ball to the rack and beat the whole fOSU team.

Man, I have said over and over and over and over again that I understand why John has to play spot minutes since Tucker Part II. I get it.

I dont get 24 minutes vs Michigan (nor did a lot of those that cover Iowa Men's Hoops), and I dont get the comments from Todd last Monday.

Was the Michigan game not the game where Cully just kept throwing the ball into the stands? I think he needed to sit, and I am a Cully fan. Again, I think it was a teaching lesson at that point. John had to play. And I realize you understand why John is playing, that is why I am surprised you just don't let it be and I don't know why Coach Lickliter's comments surprised you so much in the presser. Obviously he was in protection mode of his son and his decision to play him!

Just my 2 cents worth but am sure there are several reasons why "Lil Lick" played 24 mins vs Michigan and us as fans just have to trust our coach is doing whats best for this team. And I understand why coach said he should have played him more earlier in season. There are always going to be injuries or suspensions to require the use of bench players. It would have been nice for him to have a few minutes in non bigten games to get his feet wet instead of being fed to the lions his first game out. And if you would watch Lick's reverse it was Turner he beat to the hole.

Was the Michigan game not the game where Cully just kept throwing the ball into the stands? I think he needed to sit, and I am a Cully fan. Again, I think it was a teaching lesson at that point. John had to play. And I realize you understand why John is playing, that is why I am surprised you just don't let it be and I don't know why Coach Lickliter's comments surprised you so much in the presser. Obviously he was in protection mode of his son and his decision to play him!

Not only was Michigan game was arguably the worst game Cully has played this year, and it was also the teams 3rd game in 7 days. The minutes John got in that game were far more than he has recieved prior or since. Still there are folks who claim they cant understand it why it happened...

Not only was Michigan game was arguably the worst game Cully has played this year, and it was also the teams 3rd game in 7 days. The minutes John got in that game were far more than he has recieved prior or since. Still there are folks who claim they cant understand it why it happened...

If Todd would have talked about those things in addition to Cully being ill, I dont think much of this would have taken place.

If Todd would have talked about those things in addition to Cully being ill, I dont think much of this would have taken place.

The problem is that everybody is looking for their chance to pounce on Lickliter any chance they get. Even though most understand why John is playing, they still find ways to criticize the coach and his choices. The coach doesn't have to explain anything to anybody if he doesn't want to. It is his team. He will make the decisions and I am sure he is more than happy to go down with those decisions if it has to be that way! This fanbase and this media suck right now! And so does the team, but we all just need to find a way to deal with it at least for the rest of the season!!!

MY reaction to this situation...All we have heard about Turner is that he is this great player, POY type kid, and he is…I do not deny that…I do not know him personally so I cannot speak about his personality or his character, but I think this was a really classless move.

It was a blatant slap in the face to an Iowa player. It showed his utter lack of respect for that player, and in so doing showing no respect to the Iowa team at all. I’m sure his coaches all week were preparing them and telling them to respect the Hawks, do not over look them... then he does that. Personally, if I were Thad Matta, Turner would have sat for a while and he and I would have had a conversation about how many stairs he would be running after the game, but that’s just me…

I read some posts on here also claiming that was simply a ball fake and Lick did not bite etc…BS! Anyone who thinks that is a basketball move (pass fake) really has no idea. That was simply clowning around and has no business being done. I will say it again…CLASSLESS!

All that being said, Lick did take the next few moments and put it back in Turner’s face. So good for him!

He plays because he is the only back up point guard on team, for better or worse. Is that really worth calling him a scrub? Thank goodness he is on the team, because without him, we'd be in more trouble than we already are. Hopefully someday you'll be able to see the good in people, or in a situation, and be thankful for his efforts and hope for better results going forward.

It is easy to criticize, we seem to be good at it.

Why do you think the head coach has to justify anything to you or any of the rest of the flock? why do we have to feel like we have to point fingers and judge? Do you really expect him to have to clarify why he plays a player in any situation? Would you expect that out of any other coach? I wouldn't.

Why do you think the head coach has to justify anything to you or any of the rest of the flock? why do we have to feel like we have to point fingers and judge? Do you really expect him to have to clarify why he plays a player in any situation? Would you expect that out of any other coach? I wouldn't.

Its not his team...the team is not owned by a coach...it belongs to all of us.

Its not his team...the team is not owned by a coach...it belongs to all of us.

No, it is his team. You have no say!!! Now go on and on and on about how you pay for tickets and how that can determine a coach's future yada, yada, yada!!! Lickliter is the only person that makes decisions for this team!!!

Latest posts