This Is The Official "I Hate NIL And The Portal" Thread...

Like, how much do we devalue evaluation now at this point, it still has some juice I suppose....but if you literally can turn your roster over every season and kick out your mistakes and bring in ones that you missed on the first time around.... that type of program (one that develops and turns over rocks for stars) doesn't really make sense in this climate. I want one that's ruthless AF

It is a violation to use NIL as a recruitment tool. If I am wrong, let me know. If he knowingly participated in a violation, he is guilty.
It's a violation if it's done between a coach or staff member and a player. Not an external booster or collective. Just the same as what happened with Cade McNamara. Charlie Jones too.

Where's your proof that a coach offered Jestin Jacobs money directly?

It's a violation if it's done between a coach or staff member and a player. Not an external booster or collective. Just the same as what happened with Cade McNamara. Charlie Jones too.

Where's your proof that a coach offered Jestin Jacobs money directly?
I have no proof. Just hypothetical. You and I are in full agreement on what a violation is.

One hopes any player who portals has done their due diligence on other opportunities so they and the gaining school both benefit. (CJ and Purdue)

To simply portal and hoping they land on a bed of roses is foolish.

My worry is that the Iowas and Wisconsins of college football will be poached for any under the radar guys that they evaluate and develop.

I mean we saw in basketball with Fredrick(I think that was his name).

I am all for the athletes getting some extra money, but I really think that NIL as it is will do more harm than good.

There were tons of kids that went into the portal last year that didn't find a landing place and the year before. Posters hope that the kids eventually learn from those nightmare cases, but how many years and how many young men will not be able to complete their educations before that is learned.

Keegan's already got an offer from NU and ND - two things he never would have gotten without Iowa. That's what ticks me off. NU didn't want Keegan out of HS, they offered late mostly because Iowa was going steal him away and by then it was too late. He was NO WHERE fucking near Notre Dame's radar.

What I think we all fear as Hawk fans is Iowa has been exceptional at identifying unheralded talent and turning them into players. Those are the types of guys I don't want to lose.

If Arland Bruce gets an offer from KSU or KU that slightly pisses me off because he wouldn't have obtained those without the University of Iowa.

Now I'll wait to hear why that's flawed thinking... it totally is, but it's what makes it sting for me.
Iowa will still be a developmental program for 2 & 3 star HS recruits, as we have been for years. The problem will be when the Alabama's & OSU's and programs with deep pockets poach the cream of the developed talent in the 'payoff' years.
(see Jestin Jacobs).
To counteract this attrition, Iowa will need to up it's portal recruiting strategy to pull in talent which falls out of the elite programs, but still has high potential. This would ideally be 4* and 5* backups looking for playing time or a change of venue.
The catch....
We can't have offensive or defensive schemes which require 2-3 years to learn with transfers who will need to play now.
In short, this will require a significant overhaul of the program - recruiting, coaching and culture. I am not convinced Kirk is up for that challenge.

Iowa will still be a developmental program for 2 & 3 star HS recruits, as we have been for years. The problem will be when the Alabama's & OSU's and programs with deep pockets poach the cream of the developed talent in the 'payoff' years.
(see Jestin Jacobs).
To counteract this attrition, Iowa will need to up it's portal recruiting strategy to pull in talent which falls out of the elite programs, but still has high potential. This would ideally be 4* and 5* backups looking for playing time or a change of venue.
The catch....
We can't have offensive or defensive schemes which require 2-3 years to learn with transfers who will need to play now.
In short, this will require a significant overhaul of the program - recruiting, coaching and culture. I am not convinced Kirk is up for that challenge.
Not really sure if you last statement is completely fair.
How many coaches will be able to completely change the way they coach, recruit, and run a program within a quick turnaround time - as I don't think Kirk has more than 3 years left. Given enough time he would get there. Heck, this portal energy and drive the team has now is halfway there.

Spend the $ or be relegated to mid major. That’s the new norm. Everyone is 80’s SMU now.

My worry is that the Iowas and Wisconsins of college football will be poached for any under the radar guys that they evaluate and develop.

I mean we saw in basketball with Fredrick(I think that was his name).

I am all for the athletes getting some extra money, but I really think that NIL as it is will do more harm than good.

There were tons of kids that went into the portal last year that didn't find a landing place and the year before. Posters hope that the kids eventually learn from those nightmare cases, but how many years and how many young men will not be able to complete their educations before that is learned.
Here's what's going to end up happening. College sports are going to end up with about 10 schools that have a legit chance of winning a NC in both football or basketball.

The rest of the best teams will end up having pretty good parity based on the leftovers finding playing time at the rest of the schools. The rich get much richer and consistent on a yearly basis. The rest are trying to be the best of the worst.

(see Jestin Jacobs).
The catch....
I think KF THOUGHT he was up for the challenge, but after seeing a player of Jacobs' caliber leaving, his QB depth leaving, 2 starting WRs leaving -- after years of staff investment of time and training put into those players? With the expectation that scenario could play out year after year after year? If he was at Ohio St. or Michigan or Penn St -- not a major problem. At Iowa? A Problem...not easily solved, and a scenario that's going to take more of a head coach's energy than ever before. I'm guessing Kirk may end up bowing out sooner rather than later -- and much sooner than he'd planned.

I say we really lean into it and make every player a free agent every year so you have to recruit a whole roster every year.

I think KF THOUGHT he was up for the challenge, but after seeing a player of Jacobs' caliber leaving, his QB depth leaving, 2 starting WRs leaving -- after years of staff investment of time and training put into those players? With the expectation that scenario could play out year after year after year? If he was at Ohio St. or Michigan or Penn St -- not a major problem. At Iowa? A Problem...not easily solved, and a scenario that's going to take more of a head coach's energy than ever before. I'm guessing Kirk may end up bowing out sooner rather than later -- and much sooner than he'd planned.
You underestimate Ferentz and the Iowa fan base.

He's not going to retire and there will be plenty of money to keep and get players.

Here's what's going to end up happening. College sports are going to end up with about 10 schools that have a legit chance of winning a NC in both football or basketball.

The rest of the best teams will end up having pretty good parity based on the leftovers finding playing time at the rest of the schools. The rich get much richer and consistent on a yearly basis. The rest are trying to be the best of the worst.

College sports are pretty much already that way. The upside is that when guys like Cam Newton hit the transfer market everyone will have a chance to make a bid.

You underestimate Ferentz and the Iowa fan base.

He's not going to retire and there will be plenty of money to keep and get players.
I don't know...how many 6-6 and 5-7 seasons does Kirk really want to continue to coach? And if this year's trend continues, with the portal outcome and coaching changes in the BTen, I think that's probably what we're looking at. I mean, if you can't hold onto defensive starters like Jacobs and Roberts, the Hawks are in a world of hurt going forward.

Latest posts