This Is The Official "I Hate NIL And The Portal" Thread...

NIL sucks, as it is. Replay: Pay every scholarship athlete room, (enhanced) board, tuition , fees, and a salary of $75,000 annually for 5 years. And, provide each with an electric car. Top that, Mr. Fry/Grinch!
I've come to think of NIL like traffic circles: fine idea and can work great if everyone understands and follows the rules for how to use it.

Require and enforce that the money has to be for an NIL deal...some ad, signing, whatever. Cannot be controlled by a school or conditioned on the athlete attending any particular school. All the student-athlete has to do is satisfy whatever requirement is in the contract (that must be signed by both the collective and student) and they can go anywhere they want. Now, what do you think happens the first time the OSU collective pays some kid $1M bucks (for signing 100 footballs, for example), he enrolls, doesn't get the starting job and decides he wants to transfer. He picks a school that is supported by a nice collective, like SWARM, who's willing to give him another $500k to do a PSA on the dangers of being a Cyclone fan. Then he brings his previous $1M with him and plays for a different school. You want them to be free agents...let's make them free agents.

So, what do yall think we need to go after in the portal (assuming todays status quo)?
At a minimum, I believe we need:
1 OG
1 OT
1 Center
2 WR's (preferably taller than 6' 3")

If you think about it....Charlie Jones was certainly a pioneer/trailblazer this year regarding the portal. He was unapologetic and took advantage of the rules available.

I think a *lot* of eyes were on him as he wasn't afraid to portal to an advantageous situation, and excelled under the right tutelage. (Can portal be used as a verb?)

Sort of like internet dating....used to be a stigma....now it's more of a norm than not. The portal is matching partners together for the benefit of both.

Points below stolen from a poster on Hawkeyereport, not mine but are valid. I think NCAA football will eventually be toast or it will change from this new NIL wonderment to something that is sustainable to allow it to live on.

Not sure how college coaches can do their jobs anymore.

- How do you discipline a player anymore? They hit the portal

- Not happy about playing time? Hit the portal

- Another team contacts your coach or family (called tampering in the pros) Offers more cash. Hit the portal

- Going to classes, grades questionable. Hit the portal

- Not a starter after spring football? Hit the portal

Points below stolen from a poster on Hawkeyereport, not mine but are valid. I think NCAA football will eventually be toast or it will change from this new NIL wonderment to something that is sustainable to allow it to live on.

Not sure how college coaches can do their jobs anymore.

- How do you discipline a player anymore? They hit the portal

- Not happy about playing time? Hit the portal

- Another team contacts your coach or family (called tampering in the pros) Offers more cash. Hit the portal

- Going to classes, grades questionable. Hit the portal

- Not a starter after spring football? Hit the portal

Gibber??

Once the dust settles a little bit it'll all calm down. At the end of the day there's still the same number of P5 spots for the same number of players.

It's blowing up now because this is a brand new, novel thing, but once players start to understand that there aren't going to be 20 teams magically waiting for them with an open starting spot just because they got mad about the depth chart at their current school, or that they weren't keeping grades up, it's going to settle down.

Once there starts to be a whole bunch of guys who end up in worse positions than they left (which is going to happen in a big way), players will start to think twice.

Once the dust settles a little bit it'll all calm down. At the end of the day there's still the same number of P5 spots for the same number of players.

It's blowing up now because this is a brand new, novel thing, but once players start to understand that there aren't going to be 20 teams magically waiting for them with an open starting spot just because they got mad about the depth chart at their current school, or that they weren't keeping grades up, it's going to settle down.

Once there starts to be a whole bunch of guys who end up in worse positions than they left (which is going to happen in a big way), players will start to think twice.
I hope you are right. I really don’t like the thought of ”portal domination” in the media. Sure is there now.

I've never been opposed to the portal, but DAMN, it hurts to lose LB Jestin Jacobs today -- he was going to be THE lynchpin and centerpiece of Iowa's defense next year. What the hell?

I've never been opposed to the portal, but DAMN, it hurts to lose LB Jestin Jacobs today -- he was going to be THE lynchpin and centerpiece of Iowa's defense next year. What the hell?
Cooper DeJean was going to be the most important player on defense next year even if Jacobs stayed.

Someone else will step up at LB. Trust in Phil.

What’s hilarious about this situation is how a few days ago everyone here was like, “I HATE THE PORTAL!!!”

Then we got McNamara and everyone was, “IT’S NOT SO BAD, LET’S GO OUT AND KICK ASS IN THE PORTAL!!!”

And now losing Jacobs everyone is back to, “I HATE THE PORTAL IT’S RUINING EVERYTHING I EVER LOVED IN MY WHILE LIFE!!!”