This Is The Official "I Hate NIL And The Portal" Thread...

Once the dust settles a little bit it'll all calm down. At the end of the day there's still the same number of P5 spots for the same number of players.

It's blowing up now because this is a brand new, novel thing, but once players start to understand that there aren't going to be 20 teams magically waiting for them with an open starting spot just because they got mad about the depth chart at their current school, or that they weren't keeping grades up, it's going to settle down.

Once there starts to be a whole bunch of guys who end up in worse positions than they left (which is going to happen in a big way), players will start to think twice.
Agree, but only if Iowa levels the playing field and fixes things. There will be winners and losers. Iowa will have to act like the top 15 money program it is.

What’s hilarious about this situation is how a few days ago everyone here was like, “I HATE THE PORTAL!!!”

Then we got McNamara and everyone was, “IT’S NOT SO BAD, LET’S GO OUT AND KICK ASS IN THE PORTAL!!!”

And now losing Jacobs everyone is back to, “I HATE THE PORTAL IT’S RUINING EVERYTHING I EVER LOVED IN MY WHILE LIFE!!!”
Ha. While there's some truth in that, personally I've always seen the portal as a long-term losing situation for the Hawks, for a variety of reasons. Getting a gimpy QB who's just coming off "serious knee surgery" didn't alter that that perspective.

Ha. While there's some truth in that, personally I've always seen the portal as a long-term losing situation for the Hawks, for a variety of reasons. Getting a gimpy QB who's just coming off "serious knee surgery" didn't alter that that perspective.
They've never really said much about it, but reading under the lines, it was a very serious injury.

No lie, and I am sure there are going to be more, but IMO, it hasn't been this huge mass exodus I was expecting.

Most of them make sense to me, and yes, they do put more holes in some key positions, but we're at 7?

I know this probably isn't true, but I feel like when a player at Iowa has a major injury to a player that has to miss a full season, or most of a season. It seems like we never see that player take the field again. If I were the staff, I think I would take a deep dive and reevaluate how you approach injured players and figure out why that is.

FjO8uRWUYAEr4v6

Once the dust settles a little bit it'll all calm down. At the end of the day there's still the same number of P5 spots for the same number of players.

It's blowing up now because this is a brand new, novel thing, but once players start to understand that there aren't going to be 20 teams magically waiting for them with an open starting spot just because they got mad about the depth chart at their current school, or that they weren't keeping grades up, it's going to settle down.

Once there starts to be a whole bunch of guys who end up in worse positions than they left (which is going to happen in a big way), players will start to think twice.

I think a lot of kids vastly overestimate their athletic abilities and vastly underestimate the value of the degree. I think a fair number of kids hitting the portal are not going to land at a better place or even land anywhere on a scholarship. The cynic in me thinks the portal will ultimately become a way for coaches to shirk on the commitment of a four year scholarship. "Hey buddy, you're buried on the depth chart, you might want to look at a school that doesn't have so many linebackers." Boom, scholarship freed up.

I think a lot of kids vastly overestimate their athletic abilities and vastly underestimate the value of the degree. I think a fair number of kids hitting the portal are not going to land at a better place or even land anywhere on a scholarship. The cynic in me thinks the portal will ultimately become a way for coaches to shirk on the commitment of a four year scholarship. "Hey buddy, you're buried on the depth chart, you might want to look at a school that doesn't have so many linebackers." Boom, scholarship freed up.
There's 65 P5 schools, times 22 is a very rough approximation of 1,430 starting spots. If say, 15% of the total hit the portal, it doesn't take a math PhD to figure out that the vast majority of players who leave their teams are not going to improve their positions. Some are going to leave to lower level football and god bless 'em, but those aren't the ones you need to keep on your team anyway. There's way more supply than demand.

I have a feeling after this cycle there's gonna be a piss pot full of kids hung out to dry and it's going to serve as a cautionary tale to those players who think they're all that and a bag of chips.

There is a lot to unpack

I think one of the most profoud things is the tectonic shift it has on how a program like Iowa sees its self and orders its conduct. Its culture is based on recruiting, developing. The premise of recruiting as well as you can but also having a robust development priority for the guys who are not obvious 2 deep guys right away. Now there just may not be time to develop players.

I'm sure they're rethinking recruiting strategy bearing in mind the number of people in the protal.

Still some coaches think that guys in the portal are not competitors...they don't want to stay and fight for a spot on the 2 deeps. Sometimess thats just not true. Sometimes it is. They have to spot those guys and avoid those guys.

There are the guys who think they can get paid and play elsewhere at P5

There are the guys who think they can just get playing time elsewhere at P5

There are guys who will discover that they have to step down

There are guys who know they'll have to step down and are willing to do that to get PT.

Keegan's already got an offer from NU and ND - two things he never would have gotten without Iowa. That's what ticks me off. NU didn't want Keegan out of HS, they offered late mostly because Iowa was going steal him away and by then it was too late. He was NO WHERE fucking near Notre Dame's radar.

What I think we all fear as Hawk fans is Iowa has been exceptional at identifying unheralded talent and turning them into players. Those are the types of guys I don't want to lose.

If Arland Bruce gets an offer from KSU or KU that slightly pisses me off because he wouldn't have obtained those without the University of Iowa.

Now I'll wait to hear why that's flawed thinking... it totally is, but it's what makes it sting for me.

I've never been opposed to the portal, but DAMN, it hurts to lose LB Jestin Jacobs today -- he was going to be THE lynchpin and centerpiece of Iowa's defense next year. What the hell?
Yup. Bought and paid for. Cheating is ok I guess. If he knew it was against the rules to use specific NIL incentives to recruit, Justin is guilty as well. And, my view is the same for any bought and paid for athlete. But hey. These days lying is just speaking an “alternative” fact.

Keegan's already got an offer from NU and ND - two things he never would have gotten without Iowa. That's what ticks me off. NU didn't want Keegan out of HS, they offered late mostly because Iowa was going steal him away and by then it was too late. He was NO WHERE fucking near Notre Dame's radar.

What I think we all fear as Hawk fans is Iowa has been exceptional at identifying unheralded talent and turning them into players. Those are the types of guys I don't want to lose.

If Arland Bruce gets an offer from KSU or KU that slightly pisses me off because he wouldn't have obtained those without the University of Iowa.

Now I'll wait to hear why that's flawed thinking... it totally is, but it's what makes it sting for me.
So, we're still a developmental college for football sports? But for other colleges as well as NFL?

There is a lot to unpack

I think one of the most profoud things is the tectonic shift it has on how a program like Iowa sees its self and orders its conduct. Its culture is based on recruiting, developing. The premise of recruiting as well as you can but also having a robust development priority for the guys who are not obvious 2 deep guys right away. Now there just may not be time to develop players.

I'm sure they're rethinking recruiting strategy bearing in mind the number of people in the protal.

Still some coaches think that guys in the portal are not competitors...they don't want to stay and fight for a spot on the 2 deeps. Sometimess thats just not true. Sometimes it is. They have to spot those guys and avoid those guys.

There are the guys who think they can get paid and play elsewhere at P5

There are the guys who think they can just get playing time elsewhere at P5

There are guys who will discover that they have to step down

There are guys who know they'll have to step down and are willing to do that to get PT.
Tru Dat’

If Kirk didn't particularly care for the recruiting side of his job previously he's definitely not enjoying today's landscape. He and his staff have to basically recruit everyone .......high school, portal /NIL, and even re-recruit his current players more so than ever. I can see why some coaches will tire of this and the craziness it can bring.

Developmental programs don't know if they're developing for their own benefit or for others eventually.

Yup. Bought and paid for. Cheating is ok I guess. If he knew it was against the rules to use specific NIL incentives to recruit, Justin is guilty as well.
Explain how Jacobs' situation is cheating and "against the rules." Exactly what rules did he break?

Nothing more irritating than a good example, said Mark Twain. And yes. You will get attacked.

So, we're still a developmental college for football sports? But for other colleges as well as NFL?
Yes. IMO, Iowa is a program that's "on the menu" so to speak and a lot of that is because we have a staff that identifies talent on both sides of the ball. Be upset about Charlie Jones, I am too, and nobody faults him for doing what is best for him....BUT.... he came from Buffalo. Iowa identified his talent, got him on campus and he was the best return man in the country. We opened the opportunity he got and that's the things that irk me as a fan.

Last edited:
Explain how Jacobs' situation is cheating and "against the rules." Exactly what rules did he break?
It is a violation to use NIL as a recruitment tool. If I am wrong, let me know. If he knowingly participated in a violation, he is guilty.

Latest posts