This Is The Official "I Hate NIL And The Portal" Thread...

i'm shocked nobody reacted to the MSU player's comment. tells me nobody read it. READ IT !
Well, now I had to go read it.
That was sorta my point. Don't they all say the exact same thing?
Except, maybe, this one?

PS. Is that one real? Or a satire?

The NCAA owns the NIL and transfer problem for decades of pimping college sports for their financial gain not to mention the killing of decades long rivalry traditions thanks to the whoring out to media. Please, please someone share a story that was passed down from your Dad or Grandpa sharing a fond memory of the Hawkeyes big win over Rutgers or Maryland back in the 60's or 70's to keep their Rose Bowl hopes alive. Whenever I see or hear Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland soon UCLA and USC as part of the BIG, it takes me back to Thanksgiving 1970 when my aunt shows up at my grandparents with 3 foster kids unbeknownst to anyone including Grandparents, Parents, Aunts & Uncles and Cousins then immediately tells them this is your Grandpa and Grandma ...... it was the first time I ever thought "WTF", I was 7.

FjO8uRWUYAEr4v6
NCAA imitating art or is it art imitating the NCAA? Regardless perfect visual

Says you.

Let me decide how much money you can make at your job and when you can go somewhere else.

Then you might have an argument.
Some of the people who essentially controlled my pay and even more so, benefits, were pure evil. Yeah yeah. Then go somewhere else! OK. Wait while I leave my church, Lions Club, local Library Board, sell my home, transfer my kids to another school district, , have my spouse quit his/her job, move a greater distance from my extended family. What the hell world do you live in Fry? You don’t think we are all pinned down by reality. Maybe the reality of a commitment to a program should receive priority. Says me.

Says you.

Let me decide how much money you can make at your job and when you can go somewhere else.

This happens all the time in the job world. Hey potential employee with specialized skills, here is what we will pay and your contract will have a non-compete clause. That clause will have a time period after which it is non-enforceable (sit out a year after transferring). The real question comes back to whether the student/athletes are employees.

The issue with NIL being important IMO is this:

Back in the "old" days....a scholarship's worth (to include room/board/tuition/books) was substantially closer to what revenues labor (= athletes) generated for management (= coaches, schools, NCAA, Chambers of Commerce, concessions). There was always a labor/management revenue gap, but not huge.

Then along came video games, bling/gear, TV contracts, proliferation of bowls, more TV, advertising, multi-million dollar stadium expansions, high-dollar suites, more games including league championship games, extra games due to playoffs, etc.

And then of course, the resultant million dollar head/assistant coaches' salaries, etc.

At this point, the money that labor generated for management exploded and became worth gigantically more than the labor's scholarship worth.

And considering FB labor in particular funds dozens of other non-revenue sports, that makes the scholarship-worth pale in comparison and the gap is tremendous.

**NIL closes that gap so labor may enjoy more of the fruits of the labor they solely produce. And don't forget labor puts their health on the line each and every practice, game. **

The concept of NIL is more than fair and, as others have correctly stated because the NCAA dicked around forerver...long overdue.

Last edited:
This happens all the time in the job world. Hey potential employee with specialized skills, here is what we will pay and your contract will have a non-compete clause. That clause will have a time period after which it is non-enforceable (sit out a year after transferring). The real question comes back to whether the student/athletes are employees.
Not even close to comparable.

In the example you describe there are alternative jobs available that compete for prospective employees. If a student wants to play college basketball (getting paid or not), the only option is to play for an NCAA school at that level, which would all be subject to those rules under your scenario.

Under your example someone would have the choice to work for a different employer or go market his/her skills somewhere else. Or are you suggesting that non-compete clauses should be in effect for every type of employment out there?

If I decide to become a doctor, or a welder, or a janitor, there are numerous opportunities out there for me to reach that goal that don’t have non-compete agreements. If I decide to be a college basketball player there’s only one blanket organization policing every team I could play for.

Also, aside from non-compete comparisons, if there is a market for people to be paid for a service (in this case entertainment), especially when billions in profit are made from such services, is it not appropriate for people to be allowed to be paid? There is certainly a huge market, otherwise boosters wouldn’t be knocking the door down to pay these kids.

You say it comes down to a question whether these athletes are employees, but that isn’t the question here. The question is whether you are trying to rationalize putting restrictions on adults you have no connection to nor are you affected by—to preserve something you’re nostalgic for (old-time amateurism in sports). At the end of the day that’s what you’re doing.

You have a nostalgic affection for what college sports used to be, so you’re trying to rationalize and control someone else’s money making ability to keep it the way you like it.

I get it, I liked the old way better in some ways too (restricted transfer, etc). But I’m not going to sit here and say I know what’s better for some 19 year old kid 2,000 miles away who I don’t know and who has a talent that’s highly in demand.

The NCAA owns the NIL and transfer problem for decades of pimping college sports for their financial gain not to mention the killing of decades long rivalry traditions thanks to the whoring out to media. Please, please someone share a story that was passed down from your Dad or Grandpa sharing a fond memory of the Hawkeyes big win over Rutgers or Maryland back in the 60's or 70's to keep their Rose Bowl hopes alive. Whenever I see or hear Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland soon UCLA and USC as part of the BIG, it takes me back to Thanksgiving 1970 when my aunt shows up at my grandparents with 3 foster kids unbeknownst to anyone including Grandparents, Parents, Aunts & Uncles and Cousins then immediately tells them this is your Grandpa and Grandma ...... it was the first time I ever thought "WTF", I was 7.

Can we get a conclusion to this cliffhanger?

Says you.

Your argument is ridiculous. These kids are getting what they dreamed of and signed up for, and it's what nearly every other kid would sign up for in a heartbeat if they were able. And it's a whale of a deal as is. It's college, not a forced labor camp. In 4 years they can either get rich in the pro's or work a real job like us regularJoe's. I guarantee you they'll value their time at school more than the wonderful freedoms they'll find at the 40 year 9 to 5.

Money won't make their college and athletic experience any better, but it has the potential to do much longterm damage to college sports.

Not even close to comparable.

In the example you describe there are alternative jobs available that compete for prospective employees. If a student wants to play college basketball (getting paid or not), the only option is to play for an NCAA school at that level, which would all be subject to those rules under your scenario.

Under your example someone would have the choice to work for a different employer or go market his/her skills somewhere else. Or are you suggesting that non-compete clauses should be in effect for every type of employment out there?

If I decide to become a doctor, or a welder, or a janitor, there are numerous opportunities out there for me to reach that goal that don’t have non-compete agreements. If I decide to be a college basketball player there’s only one blanket organization policing every team I could play for.

Also, aside from non-compete comparisons, if there is a market for people to be paid for a service (in this case entertainment), especially when billions in profit are made from such services, is it not appropriate for people to be allowed to be paid? There is certainly a huge market, otherwise boosters wouldn’t be knocking the door down to pay these kids.

You say it comes down to a question whether these athletes are employees, but that isn’t the question here. The question is whether you are trying to rationalize putting restrictions on adults you have no connection to nor are you affected by—to preserve something you’re nostalgic for (old-time amateurism in sports). At the end of the day that’s what you’re doing.

You have a nostalgic affection for what college sports used to be, so you’re trying to rationalize and control someone else’s money making ability to keep it the way you like it.

I get it, I liked the old way better in some ways too (restricted transfer, etc). But I’m not going to sit here and say I know what’s better for some 19 year old kid 2,000 miles away who I don’t know and who has a talent that’s highly in demand.
I can't tell if you didn't read what I wrote, didn't understand what I wrote or were just looking for an excuse to spew your opinions.

First, I'll be the arbiter of what I'm doing since, well, I'm the one doing it.

Second, I never said there was a direct comparison or correlation between college athletics and jobs with non-compete clauses. I merely pointed out that there are jobs in the non-athletic world where one's ability to go work somewhere else is restricted. The only comparison I suggested was between an NCC's enforcement period and the old 'sit-out' rule in college sports. As for pay...unions regulate pay, the military regulates pay, the government regulates pay, my employer regulates pay.

Third, you said "If a student wants to play college basketball (getting paid or not), the only option is to play for an NCAA school at that level, which would all be subject to those rules under your scenario." Aside from the fact that I didn't establish a scenario, I'm sure Google can help you find the names of high school basketball players who signed directly with the G-league or a team in another country, none of which follow NCAA regulations. Clearly, those players don't make up the majority, but they have options.

Fourth, I never claimed to know what's better for a 19 year old kid 2000 miles away who I don't know.

You're obviously entitled to your opinions, but if you are going to counter someone's points, make sure they are actually making those points first.

I'm sure Google can help you find the names of high school basketball players who signed directly with the G-league or a team in another country, none of which follow NCAA regulations. Clearly, those players don't make up the majority, but they have options.

Clearly don’t make up the majority?

LOL

As in, almost none of the active players in the NBA except for fourteen players.

IFourth, I never claimed to know what's better for a 19 year old kid 2000 miles away who I don't know.

Yeah you did. You’re trying to say they shouldn’t be able to transfer or make money playing basketball in college. How does it affect you? It doesn’t.

Your argument is ridiculous. These kids are getting what they dreamed of and signed up for, and it's what nearly every other kid would sign up for in a heartbeat if they were able. And it's a whale of a deal as is. It's college, not a forced labor camp. In 4 years they can either get rich in the pro's or work a real job like us regularJoe's. I guarantee you they'll value their time at school more than the wonderful freedoms they'll find at the 40 year 9 to 5.
Why is it up to you to decide they can’t get paid? Nothing in college sports affects your day whatsoever.

What if I said you had to work for 4 years at your job not getting paid before you started getting a salary? See how that works? And yes, it’s a job whether you like it or not. They (players) are providing a (legal) service off which other people make billions of dollars. If someone wants to pay them to do it, it’s their right. Unless you like Cuba’s or Russia’s, or China’s system better…

And you’re right. It’s not a forced labor camp. But there are people lining up around the block to pay these players who now that it’s legal report it as income and pay tax on it.

The issue with NIL being important IMO is this:

Back in the "old" days....a scholarship's worth (to include room/board/tuition/books) was substantially closer to what revenues labor (= athletes) generated for management (= coaches, schools, NCAA, Chambers of Commerce, concessions). There was always a labor/management revenue gap, but not huge.

Then along came video games, bling/gear, TV contracts, proliferation of bowls, more TV, advertising, multi-million dollar stadium expansions, high-dollar suites, more games including league championship games, extra games due to playoffs, etc.

And then of course, the resultant million dollar head/assistant coaches' salaries, etc.

At this point, the money that labor generated for management exploded and became worth gigantically more than the labor's scholarship worth.

And considering FB labor in particular funds dozens of other non-revenue sports, that makes the scholarship-worth pale in comparison and the gap is tremendous.

**NIL closes that gap so labor may enjoy more of the fruits of the labor they solely produce. And don't forget labor puts their health on the line each and every practice, game. **

The concept of NIL is more than fair and, as others have correctly stated because the NCAA dicked around forerver...long overdue.

Sounds eerily Marxist.

Latest posts