This Is The Official "I Hate NIL And The Portal" Thread...

Transfer quarterback JT Daniels visited Oregon State last spring. He observed practice and talked with football coaches. During the visit, word circulated among high-level Beavers donors about what Daniels sought from a NIL collective.

Wow. If I was a coach and heard about a college kid like him demanding a personal chef I'd prolly get fired for cause because I'd email the kid and his dad and schedule a zoom meeting to discuss their requests. The meeting would start with "F yourself if you think you are getting a personal chef. Scholarship offer is gone and I don't want to see your bitchass on this campus ever again."

Wow. If I was a coach and heard about a college kid like him demanding a personal chef I'd prolly get fired for cause because I'd email the kid and his dad and schedule a zoom meeting to discuss their requests. The meeting would start with "F yourself if you think you are getting a personal chef. Scholarship offer is gone and I don't want to see your bitchass on this campus ever again."
Dude you should see some of the parents we come across even coaching high school.

It’s like they have some sort of brain parasite that causes extreme sociopathic narcissism.

How else is Braydin (it’s always a variant of Braydin or Kayden or Jaxson) going to go on to make $40 Billion in the league unless he has a personal chef in college?

I say we really lean into it and make every player a free agent every year so you have to recruit a whole roster every year.
That is going to play into decisions when hiring a coach. I think there will be a lot of emphasis on coaches that can manage the rosters, NIL and transfers, and may be more important than teaching X's and O's.

Dude you should see some of the parents we come across even coaching high school.

It’s like they have some sort of brain parasite that causes extreme sociopathic narcissism.

How else is Braydin (it’s always a variant of Braydin or Kayden or Jaxson) going to go on to make $40 Billion in the league unless he has a personal chef in college?

I think what has happened is with the monstrous growth of travel ball, AAU, camps, etc. there are a shit load of people who are under the mistaken belief that by funneling money into these endeavors their kids will suddenly become good athletes. They have no concept of genetics or God given ability and I don't think they have any appreciation for how big of a freak of nature you have to be in order to even play something like AA baseball or even G5 football at a moderately high level.

So now that NIL $ is not actually being paid out for names, images, and likenesses, how long will it take for a collective for Team A to pay a player from their most hated rival, Team B, to go play for Team C so that Team A puts Team B at a disadvantage? (Maybe Team A doesn't have a scholly to give or the player doesn't want to play for Team A but could be talked into Team C.)

I wonder if the NIL will be the offsetting factor for any of the non top tier schools to compete. B1G and SEC will get TV dollars for the best coaches and facilities. But a school like Oregon or ND with their big donors can get the best players thru NIL that even the non-top tier B1G/SEC schools like IA/Wisc/PSU/Arkansas/FL won't be able to get.

I wonder if the NIL will be the offsetting factor for any of the non top tier schools to compete. B1G and SEC will get TV dollars for the best coaches and facilities. But a school like Oregon or ND with their big donors can get the best players thru NIL that even the non-top tier B1G/SEC schools like IA/Wisc/PSU/Arkansas/FL won't be able to get.

In basketball that is definitely going to happen because the schools have realized that a top-flight hoops program is the best marketing they can buy, but that only requires five starters.

In football, it could happen, but would be very difficult to pull off due to roster size. I think BYU or one of the former SWAC schools in Texas could pull it off. You would need one gigantic donor or a really deeply funded collective that has massive fan buy-in. BYU already has a bit of an advantage because they have a huge pool of guys who are in their 20's as freshmen and that physical development is a big boost. They associate a lot of religious pride with the school and if they plan their collective properly and deploy at the right time I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out of nowhere for a year or two and make a legit run at a title. Imagine a typical "good" BYU team that goes out and buys an elite rush end, cover corner, quarterback and wide receiver. They'd be a tough out in the playoffs.

The Mormons are really good at planning and playing the long game and I suspect they'll take a much more pointed approach to this than many other schools. If you tell a Nebraska fan "hey, look, we have a really good freshman class, we like where it's going, in two years we're gonna deploy $20 million signing guys in the portal" you'll have a man with an immense fivehead looking back at you jaw agape. Planning for the future is impossible for them. You tell that to the BYU fans and they'll ask if they need to donate more to make sure the war chest is ready. I think smart teams are going to realize that they have to strategically plan "runs" like pro sports teams do.

In basketball that is definitely going to happen because the schools have realized that a top-flight hoops program is the best marketing they can buy, but that only requires five starters.

In football, it could happen, but would be very difficult to pull off due to roster size. I think BYU or one of the former SWAC schools in Texas could pull it off. You would need one gigantic donor or a really deeply funded collective that has massive fan buy-in. BYU already has a bit of an advantage because they have a huge pool of guys who are in their 20's as freshmen and that physical development is a big boost. They associate a lot of religious pride with the school and if they plan their collective properly and deploy at the right time I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out of nowhere for a year or two and make a legit run at a title. Imagine a typical "good" BYU team that goes out and buys an elite rush end, cover corner, quarterback and wide receiver. They'd be a tough out in the playoffs.

The Mormons are really good at planning and playing the long game and I suspect they'll take a much more pointed approach to this than many other schools. If you tell a Nebraska fan "hey, look, we have a really good freshman class, we like where it's going, in two years we're gonna deploy $20 million signing guys in the portal" you'll have a man with an immense fivehead looking back at you jaw agape. Planning for the future is impossible for them. You tell that to the BYU fans and they'll ask if they need to donate more to make sure the war chest is ready. I think smart teams are going to realize that they have to strategically plan "runs" like pro sports teams do.

You're speaking of BYU phoenix'ing then.
As they managed to tie probably one of the top 5 Hawkeye teams in history.

Doesn't measure starters. You could rank value. ISU's are low value. IU pretty low. Maryland low. Iowa med/med low. Purdue and M lost a high value. OSU medium. R low. MN about like Iowa. Padilla not considered low. MSU lost a few decent values. The Hawks new QB rated as 2nd highest QB. Wisconsin QB is 3rd.

Iowa 8
IU 11
IL 1
Mary 13
M 3
MSU 7
Goofs 7
N 11
NW 8
OSU 4
PSU 9
P 3
R 8
W 12

Other
ISU 7

Last edited:
Where NIL is at and where it might be headed will be a reactive response by the college football and basketball establishment. The major sports are undergoing a period of creative destruction that will minimally take 10 years for things to shake. At my age I may not be around that long. What I've tried to do so far is figure out how this meat market for players is going to come down.

What I think I am witnessing are players finding agents and programs finding external recruiting firms. The setting looks very much like head hunters chasing technical and executive help from competing firms. Things like the "Swarm" NIL are providing the incentive money that the scholarship dollars can't (At this point). The college program hires the recruiting firm and identifies their player needs they have. There are two types of portal players; those that desire change and those that are recruited by firms that have a job offer. Along with that are agents that see an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a potential pro player and make bucks down the road. The match game is on.

There are a limited number of college sports programs that can effectively compete in this setting. Demographics will be a major factor in which programs will succeed. Size of the college alumni will be an important component. Another will be competition between in-state P5 programs and the last will be state population. States like Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, Alabama, and Indiana face an uphill battle against Ohio State, So. California, and Florida with large alumni bases and a wealth of local talent. Television dollars can only somewhat help small state programs but the NIL dollars cannot be matched easily.

In the end I think college football will up being a P2 with between 32 and 40 programs and the Big Ten Conference will not look like it does in 2022. Greed is a powerful factor and money will power the NIL to destroy the weakest financial programs.

. The college program hires the recruiting firm and identifies their player needs they have. There are two types of portal players; those that desire change and those that are recruited by firms that have a job offer. Along with that are agents that see an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a potential pro player and make bucks down the road. The match game is on.

This is an interesting take. Given that a service is provided to the U, can the U pay compensation to the collective? Of course NIL can't be an inducement...so maybe recruiting isn't really the term we'd use. But they certainly help the student athletes along the way.

I woke up realizing that NIL and the portal may mean that Iowa football becomes a feeder for programs like Alabama and Georgia. Start at Iowa under the radar, get trained, show on the field, move to the big time. That could easily be what is coming. Why would a linebacker leave a program that just produced the Butkis award winner?

Why would a linebacker leave a program that just produced the Butkis award winner?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm gonna make an app that's a social media portal announcement text generator.
I basically just have to just write one and then use AI to change the words up a little bit and move things around a bit, but just say the same thing over and over.

I'll charge just $.28 for it and just sit back and let the money roll in.

Some see disaster. I see opportunity.

Latest posts