The Unknown is worse than Ferentz

How many BCS teams do you think have won an average of 8 game (regular season) from 2001-2010?

How many BCS teams come close to the # of players that we've put into the NFL the last couple of years and what are their records? Face it, Kirk and his staff are HORRIBLE on game day.

Someone define mediocre. One poster said anything under 9 wins is a disappointment. so what is your breaking point? Obviously 7 wins isnt enough. Is it 8,9,or 10. Some have pointed to 2002 and 2009 as the only sucessful years.
Outside of the bowl games we won 10 games in the regular season those years.

I would say mediocre by our standards would be winning 6-7 regular season games. Being good would be finishing in the top 25 50% of the time.

You have to understand that we play 2-3 creampuffs every year. Those are basically guaranteed wins. If we go 7-5, it basically means that we have a .500 record or worse to respectable major conference opponents. It's not all about record either.

Don't lose sight about who those losses are to and how it defines our success. Hypothetically, we could lose only 2-3 games a year. If those losses came to ISU and Minnesota constantly and we somehow beat Wisky, Michigan and PSU, it would make you say hey we had a nice win total, but something isn't right here. How are we losing to these terrible teams?

I would say mediocre by our standards would be winning 6-7 regular season games. Being good would be finishing in the top 25 50% of the time.

You have to understand that we play 2-3 creampuffs every year. Those are basically guaranteed wins. If we go 7-5, it basically means that we have a .500 record or worse to respectable major conference opponents. It's not all about record either.

Don't lose sight about who those losses are to and how it defines our success. Hypothetically, we could lose only 2-3 games a year. If those losses came to ISU and Minnesota constantly and we somehow beat Wisky, Michigan and PSU, it would make you say hey we had a nice win total, but something isn't right here. How are we losing to these terrible teams?

1.We do finish in the top 25 50% of the time
2. As i pointed out in another thread 95% of BCS teams play 2 cupcakes every year

Exactly 50% the last 10 years
2010: 27th
2009: 7
2008: 20
2007: NA
2006: NA
2005: 31st
2004: 8
2003: 8
2002: 8

The highest end of the season ranking in the Ferentz era was 2 years ago!

I'll get back to you in a minute on his record in close games. You are not going to be happy with the stats because they don't back up your argument.

I think it will (with citations)

Iowa26-32.448

Good enough for 8th in the Big 10. The bad part is this includes several games we were favored by +10 points (UNI, Arkansas St, etc...).

Some of these on the wins side were games we actually had two possession leads in the 4th and allowed a garbage TD or FG to get within one score.
Kirk Ferentz and the Myth of the Percentages - Black Heart Gold Pants

Iowa26-32.448

Good enough for 8th in the Big 10. The bad part is this includes several games we were favored by +10 points (UNI, Arkansas St, etc...).

Some of these on the wins side were games we actually had two possession leads in the 4th and allowed a garbage TD or FG to get within one score.

This also shows he NEVER gets blown out. How many games has he lost by 17 or more?

Wrong. 29-29. Check College Football Data Warehouse and get your facts straight (I started in the year 2000; It is 27-26 if you start in 2001, which was really when the Ferentz era began in earnest).

3.5 + 3.8 = more than the program can afford.

Depending upon what Ferentz's contract looks like, Iowa might not be liable for his full salary if he is let go. A non-breaching party generally has to mitigate his or her damages from breach (aka seek reasonable substitute employment); that is why fired coaches negotiate buyouts. If they were going to get full pay for lounging in Barbados, they would never negotiate a buyout amount.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Exactly 50% the last 10 years
2010: 27th
2009: 7
2008: 20
2007: NA
2006: NA
2005: 31st
2004: 8
2003: 8
2002: 8

The highest end of the season ranking in the Ferentz era was 2 years ago!

First of all I said 25th so exclude the "others receiving votes" category. Secondly, I'll give you leaving off pre-2002 since he was still building the program, but include 2011. Even with a bowl win we won't be ranked.

The problem with the stat in this case is that it isn't consistent. This would be like evaluating Bobby Bowden as a great coach now based on his earlier years. KF's great years are top-heavy (2002-2004). Since then it's safe to say that we've only had one great year (2009). We did finish in the top 25 in 2008, but that was a disappointing season given our talent and that we choked in 4 close games. Really since that amazing run three year run, we've only had one season that has lived up to or exceeded expectations.

Iowa26-32.448

I'll take 29-29 in close games. You obviously won't.

I still maintain that the entire premise of all of your posts is that there is something better out there for Iowa football, if hostile people like me will only open their eyes. I think you are 100% wrong.

I will concede one point: Some day, one way or the other, Kirk Ferentz will not be the Iowa football coach. It is inevitable. There will be another Iowa coach. It will be interesting to see what his record will be compared to Fry and Ferentz. You obviously believe it will be much better. I beg to differ.

I'll take 29-29 in close games. You obviously won't.

I still maintain that the entire premise of all of your posts is that there is something better out there for Iowa football, if hostile people like me will only open their eyes. I think you are 100% wrong.

I will concede one point: Some day, one way or the other, Kirk Ferentz will not be the Iowa football coach. It is inevitable. There will be another Iowa coach. It will be interesting to see what his record will be compared to Fry and Ferentz. You obviously believe it will be much better. I beg to differ.

How do you beg to differ? You have no clue. The next hire may take us to a national championship for all you know. Your blind faith in Kirk is clouding any rational thought. Our next hire may be a dud or may be a college god. But you don't know that, so stop jumping to conclusions.

First of all I said 25th so exclude the "others receiving votes" category. Secondly, I'll give you leaving off pre-2002 since he was still building the program, but include 2011. Even with a bowl win we won't be ranked.

The problem with the stat in this case is that it isn't consistent. This would be like evaluating Bobby Bowden as a great coach now based on his earlier years. KF's great years are top-heavy (2002-2004). Since then it's safe to say that we've only had one great year (2009). We did finish in the top 25 in 2008, but that was a disappointing season given our talent and that we choked in 4 close games. Really since that amazing run three year run, we've only had one season that has lived up to or exceeded expectations.
2008 was a great year. We beat the #2 team in the country (Penn State). We won 9 games, including the Outback Bowl. We had the Doak Walker award winner.

It really is all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?

You are looking for something that doesn't exist, and in the process you throw out all of the good things about Iowa football. If that makes me an apologist, I'm proud of it.

How do you beg to differ? You have no clue. The next hire may take us to a national championship for all you know. Your blind faith in Kirk is clouding any rational thought. Our next hire may be a dud or may be a college god. But you don't know that, so stop jumping to conclusions.
You don't know any more that I do. You can't predict the future. It will be up to the AD at that point to hire a successor. There is no guarantee of future success. To think otherwise is a little naive.

Michigan make a mistake with the Rodriguez hire. If it can happen at Michigan, it can happen at Iowa.

You don't know any more that I do. You can't predict the future. It will be up to the AD at that point to hire a successor. There is no guarantee of future success. To think otherwise is a little naive.

Michigan make a mistake with the Rodriguez hire. If it can happen at Michigan, it can happen at Iowa.

Exactly. There is just as much a chance the next coach could be a dud as opposed to a legend. But you don't know. So stop using that as your argument.

I didnt count the 27 and 31st rankings. My point is we were close to being ranked in the top 25, 7 of the last ten years.

Latest posts