The Unknown is worse than Ferentz

One other name. Dan McCarney. He done an unbelievable job at Iowa St and got a raw deal. At the very least I would have loved to see him as the defensive coordinator. I know he's the coach at North Texas so he's staying put. It was just a thought.

Oh and for the "oh no, who would we get crowd" while Michigan made a dumb hire with Rich Rod, they did make a lesser name hire in Brady Hoke and he's putting that program back in a BCS Bowl more than likely. Point being, you can't be afraid of what ifs.

2008 was a great year. We beat the #2 team in the country (Penn State). We won 9 games, including the Outback Bowl. We had the Doak Walker award winner.

It really is all in the eye of the beholder, isn't it?

You are looking for something that doesn't exist, and in the process you throw out all of the good things about Iowa football. If that makes me an apologist, I'm proud of it.

We also lost 4 games by 12 points including a 5-7 Illinois and a Northwestern team we were up on 17-3 early. The facts that you pointed out that we beat #3 PSU and had the Doak Walker winner illustrates the disappointment in losing those other 4. I can understand the losses to Michigan St. and Pitt as they were tough teams. We should have beaten Northwestern at home with an early lead and a below average Illinois. Solid season, but by no means great given the circumstances.

Last edited:
There is no way that Barta is going to fire Ferentz. There is no chance. Why even talk about it? It simply will not happen. Why not talk about things that could happen, rather than things that will not happen. Ferentz will probably name a new defensive coordinator. I believe that that could happen. Why not talk about that?

If this is ridicule, so be it.

I will say that the comment "I don't accept mediocrity in my professional or personal life so why should I accept it with Iowa football" comes across as a tad bit arrogant, in my humble, anonymous opinion.

1. The fact that change WON'T happen doesn't mean that it might not be NEEDED. Why did MLK bother with civil rights? At the time, I'm sure it seemed like change would NEVER happen. But change was needed.

2. I'm not confident that a change in DC is going to help matters much. First of all, defense has almost never been our biggest problem, and even this year, it's a problem more because of the talent available than it is the schemes. And second, we say all the time that KOK runs what Kirk wants to have run. I really don't feel optimistic that any change in coordinators will yield significant benefits without a little more flexibility on Kirk's part.

3. Wanting the best is hardly arrogant. That's the American way, or at least it used to be.

1. The fact that change WON'T happen doesn't mean that it might not be NEEDED. Why did MLK bother with civil rights? At the time, I'm sure it seemed like change would NEVER happen. But change was needed.

2. I'm not confident that a change in DC is going to help matters much. First of all, defense has almost never been our biggest problem, and even this year, it's a problem more because of the talent available than it is the schemes. And second, we say all the time that KOK runs what Kirk wants to have run. I really don't feel optimistic that any change in coordinators will yield significant benefits without a little more flexibility on Kirk's part.

3. Wanting the best is hardly arrogant. That's the American way, or at least it used to be.

Really MLk comparison?

One other name. Dan McCarney. He done an unbelievable job at Iowa St and got a raw deal. At the very least I would have loved to see him as the defensive coordinator. I know he's the coach at North Texas so he's staying put. It was just a thought.

Oh and for the "oh no, who would we get crowd" while Michigan made a dumb hire with Rich Rod, they did make a lesser name hire in Brady Hoke and he's putting that program back in a BCS Bowl more than likely. Point being, you can't be afraid of what ifs.
Brady Hoke has coached ONE season and is doing it with Rich Rod recruits. It is too early to make a judgment on his true coaching ability.

Kirk Ferentz would win big at Michigan. BIG. It is a lot easier to win at Michigan than it is to win at Iowa (Michigan is the winningest program of all time).

If I performed my job at a mediocre rate like he currently is, I'd probably be in my bosses office and put on some personal improvement program. Then again, I guess I do support him in some ways as I go to games.

If you were a CEO at a small company that no one really cares about and still managed to make it a Fortune 500 company, I would commend you.

Just saying the expectations of a lot of fans are out of reach. If you want a bunch of 10-11 win seasons, you might want to change schools.

Thank you. A voice of reason in this vast wilderness of negativity and unrealistic expectations.

seriously, who the hell are you to talk about "unrealistic" expectations??
you've clearly set your own expectations soooo low that you're content with mediocrity
you don't speak for the fanbase; in fact, you only speak for yourself
stick your boring, "nice" mediocre expectations in your tailpipe

Brady Hoke has coached ONE season and is doing it with Rich Rod recruits. It is too early to make a judgment on his true coaching ability.

Kirk Ferentz would win big at Michigan. BIG. It is a lot easier to win at Michigan than it is to win at Iowa (Michigan is the winningest program of all time).

Brady Hoke has the #1 rated recruiting class according to scout. I don't think getting players will be Brady Hoke's issue. I do think Michigan dominance is starting again.

Last edited:
Now give us Tressel's record.
Yeah, Tressel. You know, the guy from Youngstown State that fo$u took a gamble on, who proceeded to PWN the B1G??
KF is mediocre. Own it.

You think Tressel is going to be better than Cooper? Get the hell out of here, we can't change coaches, we can only get worse if we do!

Ferentz wouldn't last in Ann Arbor. He would still play conservative which would keep other teams of much lesser talent in games and then its a 50/50 proposition. Like I said, he wouldn't last in Ann Arbor much like he wouldn't last in the NFL, the media would eat him alive.

If you were a CEO at a small company that no one really cares about and still managed to make it a Fortune 500 company, I would commend you.

Just saying the expectations of a lot of fans are out of reach. If you want a bunch of 10-11 win seasons, you might want to change schools.

^this

Ferentz wouldn't last in Ann Arbor. He would still play conservative which would keep other teams of much lesser talent in games and then its a 50/50 proposition. Like I said, he wouldn't last in Ann Arbor much like he wouldn't last in the NFL, the media would eat him alive.

Very true. Solich couldn't even last at Nebraska and he arguably had a more successful career there than KF.

Brady Hoke has the #1 rated recruiting class according to scout. I don't think getting players will be Brady Hoke's issue. I do think Michigan dominance is starting again.

^not this, a monkey could recruit to michigan. He has won with RR recruits, lets see how he does on his own.

Bullseye.
Michigan boosters ran Lloyd Carr out of town even though he won a nat'l championship and had a great record. Why did Lloyd get trucked? Boring teams, couldn't beat primary rival (*cough* ISU *cough*) and he refused to adapt to modern college football.
Hmmm...

Latest posts