The Search: The Name that Keeps Coming Up

+1

Saw the video of Rhoads in the ISU lockerroom after a big victory. Guy certainly looked and sounded like a long-time HC. Sounds like Forbes could do the same for Iowa hoops.

As Shada said, this may be sacrilege, but watching that video of Rhoads in the locker room after the Nebraska game makes me tear up everytime. I can't help it, the guy just cares THAT much about bringing that program back, and his players mean everything to him as people first.

I haven't heard anything negative about the guy, except that he grew up too close to Iowa City. He wants the job, and it sounds like he's good.

What am I missing? What are the negatives?

He sounds like someone hawkeye nation could get behind and support. If he is the hire, I only hope the fact he has no HC experience at Div 1 level doesn't come back to bite us. Everyone has to get there first shot...so hopefully he would make the most of it and end up retiring at Iowa as one of the best all time coaches at U of I.

Is Forbes a guy that will stick around? I know it might not necessarily matter at this point in the program, but I'd hate to be a school like Minnesota who started to rebuild and now is most likely going to be searching again.

As Shada said, this may be sacrilege, but watching that video of Rhoads in the locker room after the Nebraska game makes me tear up everytime. I can't help it, the guy just cares THAT much about bringing that program back, and his players mean everything to him as people first.

I'm not going to go that far and say it made me cry, but that video is pretty cool. ISU had just won a game that they had no business winning, and done it at a place they where hadn't won since 1977.

Lot of emotion in that video.

I haven't heard anything negative about the guy, except that he grew up too close to Iowa City. He wants the job, and it sounds like he's good.

What am I missing? What are the negatives?

That is not a negative IMO

he was here and grew up in the glory days of lute and was in the state at Juco level during Mr. Davis. He more than any other candidate out there wood come in with a faith that you can win here and that carver can rock and that it can be an unreal job, because he witnessed it with his own set of eyeballs from childhood into adulthood

give a guy that can sell La. Tech, a story like this to sell with passion, becase he believes it? You've got something there

he was here and grew up in the glory days of lute and was in the state at Juco level during Mr. Davis. He more than any other candidate out there wood come in with a faith that you can win here and that carver can rock and that it can be an unreal job, because he witnessed it with his own set of eyeballs from childhood into adulthood

give a guy that can sell La. Tech, a story like this to sell with passion, becase he believes it? You've got something there

Keep stirring sugar in that Kool-Aid, Jon, because it's tasting mighty good!

Man, I'm getting psyched up thinking about Iowa basketball.

People won't care about Iowa basketball until Iowa basketball has a coach that cares.

And you can quote me on that.

Keep stirring sugar in that Kool-Aid, Jon, because it's tasting mighty good!

Man, I'm getting psyched up thinking about Iowa basketball.

People won't care about Iowa basketball until Iowa basketball has a coach that cares.

And you can quote me on that.

Are you trying to say that Lickliter seemed to be a bit...detatched?

Are you trying to say that Lickliter seemed to be a bit...detatched?

Posted this in a separate thread but this quote from Pearl in Forbes' official UT staff bio:

"Most recruiters are simply that--bring in talent every year, and then go back out on the road. But Steve is different. His strengths are the relationships and levels of trust he's able to build with our student-athletes. He is a complete coach."

The anti-Lick?

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/86119-post1.html

I think whoever we hire should have to employ Jon as a part time recruiter! He could get anyone fired up about Hawkeye hoops! I hate where our program is but I love the passion everyone is bringing, just goes to show we may be down, but we aren't dead!

Just my 2 cents but if we cannot get Pearl I like the Forbes idea the more I read about him and this would be a destination job for him.. It jsut seems almost anyone else this would be a stepping stone....

"He’s gone on job interviews in recent years, knowing that he was unlikely to land the positions."

But I don’t think the job will mean more to any possible candidate Barta can hire than it would to Steve Forbes.

Um, maybe because the other guys might be more likely to land other positions?

Also, go back and look at the commitment list for Tennessee during his time there. He is not the top recruiter on that staff.

Finally, I find it funny that people think he will automatically lockdown the borders of the state.

Drink up boys.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I believe that Forbes applying the full court press comes with the blessing of his boss. I think you can draw a line through Pearl. And since Iowa is not going to get him, I am wide open to a guy with Forbes strengths because that is what Iowa needs the most IMO

Jon, questions are being raised about whether Forbes in fact was responsible for recruiting Tennessee's best players. Is it possible that Pearl would be happy to have him leave the staff?

There seems to be a gap between the sales talk and at least on paper the actual accomplishments in recruiting.

Jon, questions are being raised about whether Forbes in fact was responsible for recruiting Tennessee's best players. Is it possible that Pearl would be happy to have him leave the staff?

There seems to be a gap between the sales talk and at least on paper the actual accomplishments in recruiting.

tote boards like the ones Rivals puts up are hardly what I would consider an end all be all.

I guess you go back and look at his track record...he was at La Tech when they brought in nationally rated classes...at La Tech...same at Tx A&M and same at Tennessee. The people I know that are in the basketball business and have been for decades tell me he is a very good recruiter. I'll take their words for it, guys that have known him for decades, over 'questions being raised' by anonymous posters that might like another candidate better.

Which is totally fine; people are going to have their own favorites during a process like this.

Negatives: The big one...he has never been a head coach of a Div-1 team. Unfortunately,that is a pretty big negative. That is why barta would have to have some pretty big balls to hire someone with no Div 1 or even full college head coaching experience.

Now, that said, he could still be a great candidate. All depends on what objective peers and insiders are telling barta and what forbes himself can sell to Barta in the interview.

Lets face it...it would be a great feel-good story of local boy does good. But, again, the local boy angle should be about 10th on the list of critieria for hiring.
Get the best guy, no matter his origin.

Now, a big positive for Barta...he could probably explain to Forbes that he is paying Lick 800k each june the next three years, so , Forbes might have to take 800k the next three years....1.6m/yr for a head coach is somewhat tolerable.
Then,if Forbes is working out, he gets a good bump.

Last edited:
Ok...I get it ...Forbes isn't a sexy name in some peoples eyes do he deserves 1/2 the money. Who ever barta hires will be paid fairly well based on other 1st year B10 coaches. if Forbes get an offer it won't be because they could hire him cheap.

Negatives: The big one...he has never been a head coach of a Div-1 team. Unfortunately,that is a pretty big negative. That is why barta would have to have some pretty big balls to hire someone with no Div 1 or even full college head coaching experience.

Now, that said, he could still be a great candidate. All depends on what objective peers and insiders are telling barta and what forbes himself can sell to Barta in the interview.

Lets face it...it would be a great feel-good story of local boy does good. But, again, the local boy angle should be about 10th on the list of critieria for hiring.
Get the best guy, no matter his origin.

Now, a big positive for Barta...he could probably explain to Forbes that he is paying Lick 800k each june the next three years, so , Forbes might have to take 800k the next three years....1.6m/yr for a head coach is somewhat tolerable.
Then,if Forbes is working out, he gets a good bump.

So, would you like to hire the National coach of the year? Oh wait we tried that too, and look how that worked out.

Latest posts