The Search: The Name that Keeps Coming Up

If he came do you think we would be able to bring some of the other Tenn. assistants. I thought I heard one played for Iowa in the 90's. It would be nice to at least bring in one or two of them. I have also heard of Iowa trying to keep Chad Wathall on the staff so that will kind of entice and help the current recruits stay with Iowa.

I'd like to see another experienced ace recruiter added and maybe another Iowa alum, like a Kenyon Murray. If Jason Shay is on the TN staff you'd think he'd jump at the chance. Where he might go for the other AC spot might depend on where Shay's strengths lie. If they lie in teaching, then we need another experienced, proven recruiter. If Shay is a recruiting ace, then we could afford to add someone like Murray. And maybe Walthall as DBO to boot.

Yep, that's a decent backup plan, at worst. :)

He could keep Walthall on the staff to help him administratively so that he can focus on recruiting and coaching. I will have no problem with him being our next HC.

"Forbes is not going to sit back and allow someone else to get the job without having tried as hard as he can to at least speak with Gary Barta."

This impresses me....a lot.

I would be happy with this man as coach. Anyone with this kind of focus, drive and desire towards meeting his goals, and his obvious skill at recruiting....he seems like a winner.

"Forbes is not going to sit back and allow someone else to get the job without having tried as hard as he can to at least speak with Gary Barta."

This impresses me....a lot.

I would be happy with this man as coach. Anyone with this kind of focus, drive and desire towards meeting his goals, and his obvious skill at recruiting....he seems like a winner.

+1

If Fores is indeed the hire I will not be happy.

i was like this at first will all the hire and want someone like bruce or Scott Drew. But the more i think about it i think we have a slim chance on them. I dont care if we get pat summitt as long as they want to be here and work there butt off so we can get to the tourney like 7 or 8 out of 10 years. i have had a blast watching these games so far and just miss having Iowa in it.

Just curious as to why you wouldn't be happy.

Iowa needs a name to get people excited. A coach with head experience is needed at this time. Iowa can't afford a risky hire. You don't fire Lick and hire some coach with zero D-1 experience. Maybe when Alford left, but not now.

Josh Selby is one of two McDonald's All-Americans that will visit Iowa's campus within a week of Forbes being named Iowa's head coach. Selby's mother loves Coach Forbes. From everything that I am hearing, Steve Forbes will be the next head coach at Iowa.

Iowa needs a name to get people excited. A coach with head experience is needed at this time. Iowa can't afford a risky hire. You don't fire Lick and hire some coach with zero D-1 experience. Maybe when Alford left, but not now.

Fair enough.

If Fores is indeed the hire I will not be happy.

Yeah, by all means, another mid-major 'rising star' of a coach (Barbee) is more safe than an ace assistant at a big time school (Forbes/Collins). And in case you noticed, Forbes WANTS this job. It's not a stepping stone like it would be for someone like Barbee. Forbes wants to be the guy to turn around his favorite program. The guy is Pearl's right hand man, he can recruit with the best of 'em, and this is his dream job.

Yes, I would still prefer Pearl or even Dixon. But those aren't very realistic choices, and Forbes will be there waiting for a call from Barta.

Josh Selby is one of two McDonald's All-Americans that will visit Iowa's campus within a week of Forbes being named Iowa's head coach. Selby's mother loves Coach Forbes. From everything that I am hearing, Steve Forbes will be the next head coach at Iowa.

What are these McDonald's All-Americans you speak of?:D

If it's a virtual impossibility that Pearl comes to Iowa City, is Forbes the next best thing? Strong recruiter, obviously a good salesman, hard worker, really wants the job, etc. As an added bonus, Bruce Pearl the mentor -- someone who knows the Iowa job well -- is just a phone call away?

They key to Forbes' success would be...as Jon mentioned...the assistants he has on his staff.

He can recruit. We know this. If he feels he is lacking a bit in the x's and o's I am confident he would hire an assistant that is strong in that department. Such as.....Mike Dunlap (I'm gonna keep plugging Dunlap any way I can).

Unfortunately I believe that Forbes applying the full court press comes with the blessing of his boss. I think you can draw a line through Pearl. And since Iowa is not going to get him, I am wide open to a guy with Forbes strengths because that is what Iowa needs the most IMO

Sounds like Selby could be the recruit Jon was referring to in one of his examples. He's a 2010 combo guard. However, in an item I saw linked somewhere today (referring to Forbes' interest in Iowa) I think I read that TN may be slipping with Selby, and the competition includes Kansas and Kentucky.

One way or another, our new coach needs to bring in another kid who can play some PG next season--and maybe two, if we lose Payne and/or Brust.

P.S. The Scout profile for Selby says he's down to four and TN isn't listed. Might not want to pencil him in for a visit just yet.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I believe that Forbes applying the full court press comes with the blessing of his boss. I think you can draw a line through Pearl. And since Iowa is not going to get him, I am wide open to a guy with Forbes strengths because that is what Iowa needs the most IMO

When I first read your statement above, I thought you were referring to a literal "full court press" and wondered why he'd need Pearl's blessing to apply this as coach.:D

I know I shouldn't just read an article like this and get all excited about a guy, but dang, I really am. He's young enough that he could end up here for 15-20 years.

Latest posts