The Search: The Name that Keeps Coming Up

When I first read your statement above, I thought you were referring to a literal "full court press" and wondered why he'd need Pearl's blessing to apply this as coach.:D

That's what I thought too, LOL. After rereading Jon's post, I realized what he meant. :D

As much as I would like Pearl, I too believe it isn't going to happen, which is why I went ahead and changed my avatar.

Josh Selby is one of two McDonald's All-Americans that will visit Iowa's campus within a week of Forbes being named Iowa's head coach. Selby's mother loves Coach Forbes. From everything that I am hearing, Steve Forbes will be the next head coach at Iowa.
That would be very strange considering Tennessee is very low on Selby's list, and he didn't even visit there.

The talk all week has been centered around one indisputable fact: The only thing Iowa can really offer a great coach is $$$$$.

This has plusses and minuses. I am obviously more fearful of the minus, since Lick chased the paycheck to IC, and pretty clearly was never passionate about Iowa or the job.

The fact that Forbes is able to get some of these kids to listen to him is great. I also like how he apparently appeals to the mother. For some of these kids....their mom has a tremendous influence in their lives.

Nobody can get every player. All you need are a few to build around. If Forbes can get 1 or 2 top quality prospects (such as Lute did with Ronnie Lester), the rest will fall into place.

The talk all week has been centered around one indisputable fact: The only thing Iowa can really offer a great coach is $$$$$.

This has plusses and minuses. I am obviously more fearful of the minus, since Lick chased the paycheck to IC, and pretty clearly was never passionate about Iowa or the job.

I agree. And you also have to be careful about hiring someone who may jump to something else quickly. I feel sorry for Minnesota(something I never thought I'd say) if they have to do another search. It really appears Minny was just a stepping stone for Tubby.

As much as these coaching searches can create excitement and anticipation within the fanbase, they really are not good for programs in the long run. Especially for a place like Minnesota whose program was on good terms but must now go through all of this again.

I would rather not go through another one of these coaching hires for many many years.

I agree. And you also have to be careful about hiring someone who may jump to something else quickly. I feel sorry for Minnesota(something I never thought I'd say) if they have to do another search. It really appears Minny was just a stepping stone for Tubby.

As much as these coaching searches can create excitement and anticipation within the fanbase, they really are not good for programs in the long run. Especially for a place like Minnesota whose program was on good terms but must now go through all of this again.

I would rather not go through another one of these coaching hires for many many years.

This is another reason why I think Forbes would be the right kind of hire, Iowa native, Iowa fan, he would want to be here and I think he would work tirelessly to turn it around and keep it there. I may be way off with these thoughts but it just seems right.

That would be very strange considering Tennessee is very low on Selby's list, and he didn't even visit there.

Shelby was committed to TN at one point, but then he re-opened his commitment when the bigger boys came calling. I am not really sure of the reasoning behind his decommitment though.

Obviously, the "sure things" would be Pearl, Dixon & Drew but they are not likely.

After that, I like Keno or Forbes. I think you can feel confident that either one of those guys would stay at Iowa for a very long time (if successful) and there is great value to that.

The only advantage I give to Keno is you know who he would bring along for most of his assistant coaching staff and I think that staff is very good. With Forbes, it's a guessing game on who he could attract as assistants.

I think if Pearl gave him his blessing to pursue the Iowa job, then I doubt he would be able to dismantle Pearls assistant coaching staff and bring them with him to Iowa.

But, I do like the fact that the guy wants the job. In my experience with hiring employees, those that really want the job ultimately end up working much harder once they receive it and that's not a bad thing.

World Wide Wes

Awesome, guys like him really make college basketball a shady biz. I guess we can thank him for sending Iowa Marble Jr though. Man the thoughts of anyone on the past staff talking to this guy are just to funny.

Iowa needs a name to get people excited. A coach with head experience is needed at this time. Iowa can't afford a risky hire. You don't fire Lick and hire some coach with zero D-1 experience. Maybe when Alford left, but not now.

No, they don't. I know this might sound like sacrilege, but Iowa needs to find what ISU found when they got Paul Rhoads. Nobody knew he was, he was a career assistant...but he is from Ankeny, and he gets it - whatever "it" is. Not being a D-1 head coach didn't stop Rhoads from taking the same team that went 2-10 in 2008 to a bowl game in one year. You can tell that Rhoads cares about his players, cares about the school, and - and maybe more important than anything else - wants to be in Ames.

While it would be nice to get someone who has been a head coach at the major conference level, it's not a requirement. Iowa basketball needs to finds it's Paul Rhoads.

No, they don't. I know this might sound like sacrilege, but Iowa needs to find what ISU found when they got Paul Rhoads. Nobody knew he was, he was a career assistant...but he is from Ankeny, and he gets it - whatever "it" is. Not being a D-1 head coach didn't stop Rhoads from taking the same team that went 2-10 in 2008 to a bowl game in one year. You can tell that Rhoads cares about his players, cares about the school, and - and maybe more important than anything else - wants to be in Ames.

While it would be nice to get someone who has been a head coach at the major conference level, it's not a requirement. Iowa basketball needs to finds it's Paul Rhoads.

+1

Saw the video of Rhoads in the ISU lockerroom after a big victory. Guy certainly looked and sounded like a long-time HC. Sounds like Forbes could do the same for Iowa hoops.

We need a recruiter.
We need a recruiter.
We need a recruiter.
We need a recruiter.
We need a recruiter.

And if it wasn't clear after that, please watch Kansas State play. Who is Frank Martin again? Oh yeah...

We need a recruiter.
We need a recruiter.
We need a recruiter.
We need a recruiter.
We need a recruiter.

And if it wasn't clear after that, please watch Kansas State play. Who is Frank Martin again? Oh yeah...

We need a recruiter but not like Martin

Excellent point! Rhoads is the reason that I simply can't hate ISU football anymore like I did when Chizik was there. You just can't help but like the guy, the energy he brings to a program that was in desperate need of it. And I could definitely stand to have a guy like that at the helm for Iowa Basketball.

Latest posts