The Search: The Name that Keeps Coming Up

Two days ago? Man, I work too much.

I should get a radio job -- get paid at least twice as much and work at least half as many hours.

***scurries for cover***

I like the fact ( on the audio link posted earlier ) he makes mention that you have to adjust as a coach to what your personel can handle. That he has known coaches before that were too rigid in a system and it cost them because of it. Sound familiar? This man should be our next head basketball coach! He would be a home run IMO.

Two days ago? Man, I work too much.

I should get a radio job -- get paid at least twice as much and work at least half as many hours.

***scurries for cover***

LOL...if only those eight hours were my only job of the day ;) And with regards to getting paid twice as much, you need to do some more research :)

I remember when a certain football coach was hired. We missed out on the hottest coach in the nation and got "stuck" with some guy who used to be on Hayden's staff but was coaching the perennial powerhouse Maine. I would be fine with a "big pitcure hire" of Forbes to get the recruiting, passion for Iowa, and association with a successful program all in one package yet at an affordable price. Big name prima donnas are not going to fit well at Iowa.

Exactly. Alford was supposedly a big name coach and the hottest up and coming mid major coach at the time of his hire. We know how that turned out. I think sometimes the little known names that love what they do and have found a home are some of the best successes because they know when times are tough, they'll still have the support. Certain coaches would have never had our support, because they were never Hawkeyes in the first place.

I'm not saying he'd be a bad choice, but I'm starting to wonder if many aren't clamoring to him simply because he wants the job. It's the first we've heard of anyone that is actually campaigning for the job, so I think it's natural that we are having a "feel good" (he likes us, he really, really likes us!) moment with him.

I'm hoping there are more coaches with head coaching experience that are lobbying for the job behind the scenes that we haven't heard of yet.

I just find Forbes to be a little underwhelming. It's one thing to be a great recruiter when the head coach is Bruce Pearl, but it's quite another thing to be a great recruiter when you're the star of the show.

He seems like a big-time risk for an AD that MUST get this one right.

I'm not saying he'd be a bad choice, but I'm starting to wonder if many aren't clamoring to him simply because he wants the job. It's the first we've heard of anyone that is actually campaigning for the job, so I think it's natural that we are having a "feel good" (he likes us, he really, really likes us!) moment with him.

I'm hoping there are more coaches with head coaching experience that are lobbying for the job behind the scenes that we haven't heard of yet.

I just find Forbes to be a little underwhelming. It's one thing to be a great recruiter when the head coach is Bruce Pearl, but it's quite another thing to be a great recruiter when you're the star of the show.

He seems like a big-time risk for an AD that MUST get this one right.

It is going to depend on who his assistants are. He has coaching experience, but if he hires a good x's and o's assistant (Mike Dunlap????) then it should be no problem. You gotta get the players first and foremost.

He is not my first choice (Mike Dunlap) and yes he is a risk...but certainly a lesser risk than someone like Keno Davis. At least Forbes is actively campaigning for the job...as someone already pointed out...passionate people rarely fail.

So a coach with no head coaching experience is less risky than a coach who has major conference experience with an established assistant coaching staff that has actually taken a team to the NCAA tourney and has signed top 100 recruits as a head coach? Not sure I'm following this type of logic....

It's one thing to be a great recruiter when the head coach is Bruce Pearl, but it's quite another thing to be a great recruiter when you're the star of the show.

Then again, he may be the reason why Bruce Pearl is a star in the first place instead of just another mid-major hotshot who didn't work out.

dd...you may be right, but that's a big time risk for an AD who's job is on the line with this hire

Cool, we can end up playing 500 ball, have a losing record in-conference, and miss out on the best in-state recruits!

AWESOME!

What i mean is local boy, who considers this his dream job, and will harder then anyone else to turn the program around. and he will be here for life. Considering what paul rhodes walked into, he did a great job in his first year. We should be so lucky next season. Rhodes will turn that program at isu around, to where they will be over 500, winning records in their conf, and go to bowl games every year. I am not an ISU fan, but i know a good coach when i see one. That was ISU's best hire since pollard took over.

dd...you may be right, but that's a big time risk for an AD who's job is on the line with this hire

I think hiring a big fish as your head coach is even riskier, unless you're a destination school like Duke, Kansas or UNC. If the big fish is successful, he'll get hired away, and if he's unsuccessful, he was a waste of money.

Also, I don't think Barta's job is on the line with this hire as long as the football team is successful and the university keeps making tons of money.

I remember when a certain football coach was hired. We missed out on the hottest coach in the nation and got "stuck" with some guy who used to be on Hayden's staff but was coaching the perennial powerhouse Maine. I would be fine with a "big pitcure hire" of Forbes to get the recruiting, passion for Iowa, and association with a successful program all in one package yet at an affordable price. Big name prima donnas are not going to fit well at Iowa.

he was not at maine at the time, he was in the NFL. BTW, i agree that big names is not always the way to go. Look at Minny, they hired a big name coach, and now it appears that after 3 seasons he going to bolt. Not sure why though, doesn't Minny have more history in basketball then auburn?

LOL...if only those eight hours were my only job of the day ;) And with regards to getting paid twice as much, you need to do some more research :)

My dad was involved in local radio and Tv in waterloo for years. I made more money then he did working at a grocery store. LOL Even so, i started out to follow in his footsteps, then i met and fell in love, and my life went a total different direction.

So a coach with no head coaching experience is less risky than a coach who has major conference experience with an established assistant coaching staff that has actually taken a team to the NCAA tourney and has signed top 100 recruits as a head coach? Not sure I'm following this type of logic....

An experienced coach who's record has grown progressively worse over the past 3 seasons? 19 losses this past year?

I agree Forbes is a risk. I said as much. He is a PROVEN recruiter (unlike Davis)...comes highly recommended...and is actively campaigning for the job.

Forbes isn't in my Top 3...or even Top 5. Has more upside and potential than Davis IMO. Given the choice I'd take a proven recruiter (he can always hire an x's and o's guy as an assistant) over an unproven commodity who's record keeps getting worse and who is only on people's list because he is the son of a former Iowa coach.

If Barta can't get Dunlap or Pearl.....Scott Drew is the man.

We have no idea on whether Forbes would work harder than any other coach. Nobody has any idea on how hard a guy that is an assistant now will work once he inks his name to a 7 year contract worth millions of dollars. After you sign your name, life is pretty good for the rest of your days and that affects people quite differently.

You say Keno is on the list only because of his last name. Well, isn't Forbes on the list only because he was born and raised in Lone Tree? Are you possibly telling me he is the MOST qualified assistant coach in America? No, we're interested in him because he's from Iowa.

Also, Keno has shown he can sign top 100 players while he is the HEAD COACH.

You also might want to just do a minute of research to fully understand Keno's record in year 2 at Providence....it will only take a minute for you to understand.

We have no idea on whether Forbes would work harder than any other coach. Nobody has any idea on how hard a guy that is an assistant now will work once he inks his name to a 7 year contract worth millions of dollars. After you sign your name, life is pretty good for the rest of your days and that affects people quite differently.

That applies to everyone. Mr. Davis wasn't exactly a ball of fire his last few years....the man couldn't even be bothered to leave the golf course to meet with a recruit from what I've heard.

I'd say a man actively seeking a job is more likely to succeed than one who has to be sought out....all else being equal.

I feel Forbes would work harder than Keno...simply because he probably feels he has more to prove....after all...Keno is an established coach with an NCAA tournament under his belt.

You say Keno is on the list only because of his last name. Well, isn't Forbes on the list only because he was born and raised in Lone Tree? Are you possibly telling me he is the MOST qualified assistant coach in America? No, we're interested in him because he's from Iowa.

Also, Keno has shown he can sign top 100 players while he is the HEAD COACH.

You also might want to just do a minute of research to fully understand Keno's record in year 2 at Providence....it will only take a minute for you to understand.

Right back at you re: Forbes.

Besides...Mike Dunlap is my guy. You should take a few minutes to research HIM. Impressive record....teacher of the game...highly respected in the coaching community...stresses academics.......proven *consistent* winner.

Latest posts