State Tourney: Updates

I would also add that I don't really consider size as part of athleticism. Maybe I should, but for some reason I don't.

One thing's for sure. May didn't drive to the hole with extreme force like Weiskamp does. There is a difference between being strong and playing strong. Weiskamp plays strong. When he drives the lane, he means business. I'm sure May would have too if he had the ability to dribble.

Lol I suppose I have never thought to deeply about size and it's relationship to athleticism if any.

I can agree that Weiskamp is far superior to May in any basketball related activity.

Lol I suppose I have never thought to deeply about size and it's relationship to athleticism if any.

I can agree that Weiskamp is far superior to May in any basketball related activity.

You've never had a "what classifies as athleticism" debate with friends? How about the "what classifies as a sport" debate?

Bowling is not a sport.

Watching The Big Lebowski on TV IS a sport, though.

I've come to the conclusion that most things where you compete are a sport. Cheerleading isn't a sport. But the competitive cheerleading you see on ESPN is a sport.

You've never had a "what classifies as athleticism" debate with friends? How about the "what classifies as a sport" debate?

I have had the "What is a sport" debate, but nope never had the what makes an athlete talk.

The rankings come from summer camps and AAU circuit (of course) and those people know their stuff.

Maybe Pat doesn’t stand out on the floor because he doesn’t need to on his team?

I didn’t watch so don’t know. Just asking.

Iowa City West has a lot of good players and they have a coach that runs a very methodical and conservative system. I grew up with Coach Bergman and played with him in High School.
Watching his teams at Iowa City West, Bergman only had one kid that was the focal point of his offense that was six or seven yours ago.

He can get some blocks here and there, but overall his defense isn't very polished. He just needs to watch his pop's championship defense video a few more times.
In all seriousness though, anytime PMac gets into the lane against these small high school kids, he should be knocking down 10 footers left and right, but he either doesn't seem able to do it or is just too passive. Not sure.

I'm in that video. Behind Weiscamp when he's getting introduced at the beginning. I'm pretty much famous.

Patrick is awkward. No guarantee he will grow out of it. Outside of passing, kids with his skill level aren't uncommon. Some make it and some don't.

Joe is real, but it's hard to project. His biggest challenge is letting the game flow through him and to him rather than being the game. Could be a learning curve.
I think this could be prescient.

I’m kinda with you about him with what I’ve seen (which isn’t much) — a good player but top 50? I’m not so sure about that.

But — the guys that do the circuit and camps think so. So there’s that.

Not at you just using your post for my two cents.

Court didn’t consider it a varsity sport to replace the volleyball team because it didn’t have structured competition and post-season. (Basically conferences and a national championship). Really?

The school tried for a cheaper women’s sport.
The Court said we like volleyball more. The Courts are wrong quite a bit. In this case, I don’t care.

Patrick is awkward. No guarantee he will grow out of it. Outside of passing, kids with his skill level aren't uncommon. Some make it and some don't.

Joe is real, but it's hard to project. His biggest challenge is letting the game flow through him and to him rather than being the game. Could be a learning curve.

Not sure why you think Patrick is awkward? Is incredibly thin and really needs to put the pounds on... But watching him play he has great quickness and you can tell he is a coach's son. In the system he is playing in it doesn't look like he is a standout. I've seen him play in three games and there are times when he wows me. Give him space and he drains the three. Give him a lane and he takes it to the rim quickly and finishes.
Joe totally impressed me last night. He wasn't able to get his jump shot off so he took it to the rim and was more than impressive... He is a talent... I believe he's going to be special.
I wouldn't be surprised to see us go to a 3 guard offense next year and Joe would be one of the three... I really think this guy is that good

Not sure why you think Patrick is awkward? Is incredibly thin and really needs to put the pounds on... But watching him play he has great quickness and you can tell he is a coach's son. In the system he is playing in it doesn't look like he is a standout. I've seen him play in three games and there are times when he wows me. Give him space and he drains the three. Give him a lane and he takes it to the rim quickly and finishes.
Joe totally impressed me last night. He wasn't able to get his jump shot off so he took it to the rim and was more than impressive... He is a talent... I believe he's going to be special.
I wouldn't be surprised to see us go to a 3 guard offense next year and Joe would be one of the three... I really think this guy is that good

Because where I live there are a number of guys that size or taller/younger who can actually dribble well on the run and shoot 3s. That can post up. That can jump out of the gym. Hes not young. Yes they get D 1 offers but can never quite put it together.

On the video he is very awkward dribbling.

Because where I live there are a number of guys that size or taller/younger who can actually dribble well on the run and shoot 3s. That can post up. That can jump out of the gym. Hes not young. Yes they get D 1 offers but can never quite put it together.

On the video he is very awkward dribbling.

The thing that convinced me Patrick is for real is this video from the nbpa top 100 camp:
The highlights do a good job showing moments where you see his feel for the game. He knows when to attack, when to shoot, how to time jumps for rebounds/dunks, and how to get a hand in the passing lane. And this was against high level competition. That kind of awareness translates, just ask Baer. Now add another 2 inches in height and length and take the athleticism up another notch.

Latest posts