Social Issue/Political Discussion Relating to Iowa Football

How are movie stars going to get their kids into Stanford now?

I thought that was USC that had that operation going on. Let's be clear about the message from those indictments. The message wasn't that it is wrong to buy your kids' way into an elite private school, the message was that if you are going to do it, $250k ain't the price and you gotta use the front door, not the back door.

The bigger question is whether Northwestern will have anyone to compete against in fencing.

I didn't know synchronized swimming was a varsity sport either.

Those sorts of things primarily exist at "rich kid schools" or schools with such gargantuan football budgets that they need to come with ways to proverbially "light money on fire."

giphy.gif

The V recovery won't happen and it will smash a number of things including sports. Yes we have pent up demand. We gave growing savings until unemployment stops. We will have inflation in certain things and relation on others.

Gasoline not used will not be made up. Ethanol not used will not be made up. Durable goods inventories are up.

Iowa which benefits massively from Govt commodity intervention will get whacked.

From the Depression the Dow didn't retrace for 30 years. 3 years after crash it was 60 percent down. Pensions will be hit.

What you'll see is the monetization in the form of inflation which will help the upper and smoke the lower.

We started the recession prior to the shutdown.some had to do with shutdown fears. But, we were due.

Sports will either consolidate and be for wealthy entertainment or degrade to be more affordable.

Let the Hunger Games begin.

The V recovery won't happen and it will smash a number of things including sports. Yes we have pent up demand. We gave growing savings until unemployment stops. We will have inflation in certain things and relation on others.

Gasoline not used will not be made up. Ethanol not used will not be made up. Durable goods inventories are up.

Iowa which benefits massively from Govt commodity intervention will get whacked.

From the Depression the Dow didn't retrace for 30 years. 3 years after crash it was 60 percent down. Pensions will be hit.

What you'll see is the monetization in the form of inflation which will help the upper and smoke the lower.

We started the recession prior to the shutdown.some had to do with shutdown fears. But, we were due.

Sports will either consolidate and be for wealthy entertainment or degrade to be more affordable.

Let the Hunger Games begin.
You're terrible at trying to bait an argument. I mean, that's a good thing similar to being a really bad liar, but jesus christ...put some effort into it at least.

You're terrible at trying to bait an argument. I mean, that's a good thing similar to being a really bad liar, but jesus christ...put some effort into it at least.

I think there is some validity to what he says about sports. We've all watched as "sports" have morphed from fun to "the sports entertainment business." The business side was, IMHO, near a peak of a bubble prior to The Germ hitting because the business model morphed into bilking some poor bastard out of hundreds of bucks to go to a game or $100 a month for a cable bill. You can see the ESPN subscriber numbers going down every year. You can go to games all over the country and see student sections that are a fraction of the size they were in the '80's. The younger generation doesn't care for sports nearly as much as folks 40+ used to. There are too many competing entertainment options that are smashing the "sports entertainment" business.

I honestly don't think one has to look much further than NASCAR to see a potential trend. In 2001, NASCAR's 4th of July race drew 25 million viewers. Their race at Indy drew 20 million viewers that year. This year, with much of the country closed down due to The Germ and virtually no other sports content on television, their primetime 4th of July weekend race at Indy drew just over 4 million viewers. I honestly don't think football is immune from suffering from a steady decline like NASCAR has over 20 years. It won't be as stark, but declines in viewership and cable subscriptions are going to be absolutely disastrous for revenue.

Not to sound like some Marxist like the rest of you, but big money eventually ends up ruining damned near everything that was originally supposed to be fun. Video games are now designed to bilk people for micro transactions. Sports are designed to bilk you into needing cable. I'll bet if you told Hayden on the day he retired that his successor would one day siphon $5 million a year out of Iowa the guy would have playfully slapped you on the face and called you a dog faced pony soldier.

Just under 20%, which means one person roughly every 5 seats. If they stagger each row equally that's probably 6' between you and the people in the row in front/behind you.

Now that's gonna look weird.

Just under 20%, which means one person roughly every 5 seats. If they stagger each row equally that's probably 6' between you and the people in the row in front/behind you.

Now that's gonna look weird.

I know you're not religious, but I hope to God that they have someone like PerMar running security and arresting people if they dare to give high fives after big plays or TDs.

The good news is, the feds are floating some ideas around that should they hit the right combination, should yield an economic explosion possibly only rivaled by the industrial revolution. The problem is the same as the regular person in the market and for college athletics, it's hitting the right course of action at the right time.
What is frustrating is the Democrats and Republicans are like having 2 coaches. 1 wants to run the ball on every play and one wants to throw on every play. Both have good ideas, and both have stupid ideas, but will not come together to put together a balanced attack.

The good news is, the feds are floating some ideas around that should they hit the right combination, should yield an economic explosion possibly only rivaled by the industrial revolution. The problem is the same as the regular person in the market and for college athletics, it's hitting the right course of action at the right time.
What is frustrating is the Democrats and Republicans are like having 2 coaches. 1 wants to run the ball on every play and one wants to throw on every play. Both have good ideas, and both have stupid ideas, but will not come together to put together a balanced attack.

It's like having O'Keefe and Brian Ferentz as co-coordinators. O'Keefe will get you where you want to get, but he's a little bit old and buttoned down. Doesn't have the marketing appeal with the college crowd. Like the Republicans. And then you have hotshot Brian Ferentz, who isn't shy about using government programs like Section 8 housing, couldn't really cut it in the private sector and basically has to glide off the family name, like the Kennedys and Clintons. He is young and trendy and is willing to throw a bit of a tantrum if he doesn't get his way.

I think there is some validity to what he says about sports. We've all watched as "sports" have morphed from fun to "the sports entertainment business." The business side was, IMHO, near a peak of a bubble prior to The Germ hitting because the business model morphed into bilking some poor bastard out of hundreds of bucks to go to a game or $100 a month for a cable bill. You can see the ESPN subscriber numbers going down every year. You can go to games all over the country and see student sections that are a fraction of the size they were in the '80's. The younger generation doesn't care for sports nearly as much as folks 40+ used to. There are too many competing entertainment options that are smashing the "sports entertainment" business.

I honestly don't think one has to look much further than NASCAR to see a potential trend. In 2001, NASCAR's 4th of July race drew 25 million viewers. Their race at Indy drew 20 million viewers that year. This year, with much of the country closed down due to The Germ and virtually no other sports content on television, their primetime 4th of July weekend race at Indy drew just over 4 million viewers. I honestly don't think football is immune from suffering from a steady decline like NASCAR has over 20 years. It won't be as stark, but declines in viewership and cable subscriptions are going to be absolutely disastrous for revenue.

Not to sound like some Marxist like the rest of you, but big money eventually ends up ruining damned near everything that was originally supposed to be fun. Video games are now designed to bilk people for micro transactions. Sports are designed to bilk you into needing cable. I'll bet if you told Hayden on the day he retired that his successor would one day siphon $5 million a year out of Iowa the guy would have playfully slapped you on the face and called you a dog faced pony soldier.

I don't necessarily disagree that less and less people are going to be interested in sport down the line. But can you tell me why the value of these franchises continue to go through the roof? After all, the amounts that these owners are paying is based on a future profit stream. These people aren't fools either.

Except for buying the too early dip on cruise lines, I got back in at the right time and am up massive....subject to just as random downturns.

Glad to hear you did so well. What most people do is just ride out the storm. I did the same thing you did and I got out when the Dow was still around 27,000. The big mistake I made was making some minor changes when it got down to around 19,000. Then when got down to 18,000 I decided it was time to go back in and move my stocks from guaranteed government securities (no risk but very little return rate) back into the Dow, but I then found out that I am only allowed to move stocks twice a month and I had already exceeded that. So I watched the DOW climb that whole month up over 23,000 points and I couldn’t get back in until the first of the next month. Ouch, that mistake cost me over $100,000 in profit to my 401k.

I understand why people try to ride it out and just leave things alone because it’s really tricky to guess where the bottom is. It could have stopped at 27,000 and never gone down to 18,000. If it had done that then you suffer a loss why your sitting out and watching it go back up.

The first time I did this was back around the housing crisis. I watch the markets constantly and do a lot of reading and talk to a few people in the know. Back then the Dow was around 23,000 and I transferred everything to government securities. Then the DOW crashed down to 6500 I jumped back in at 7000 and rode it all the way back, tripling my 401k amount.

A guy at work who like most people are clueless about the economy and the markets saw what I was doing when the housing crisis was upon us. He only had five years until he retired. I told him to take everything out of the market and put it into government government securities. “Are you sure?” I said does the sun come up in the morning I responded. To this day he still thinks I am a genius. Imagine tripling you 401k just before you retire.

Yes there is a risk but if you get it right the rewards are tremendous. It works that way in sports sometimes too. You can play offense in a conservative way and get your 7.5 wins every season and lose out to the cheeseheads year after year after year. Or you can say f*ck it and gamble on offense. Even if you lose one or two more games a year it will be fun for the fans to watch you try crazy schemes like the wild cat.

A coach who has tenure should be last one to be conservative since he has nothing to lose. Now Brian is a different story. It’s going to come down to whether he is going to be a “ride it out” type of person or a “take chances” type of person. Yes you can get splattered on the highway sometimes if things go wrong in the stock market, but the rewards can be awesome if it goes right. I’d rather see Iowa coaches play all out with a wide open offense even if it means a four win season here and there.

Of courses it’s easy for me to say that when my a$$ isn’t on the line. I am just saying if it was me I would take the risk. So you end up getting fired after three seasons and have to walk away with only ten million dollars. That would be terrible wouldn’t it??? Kirk smiles at the sixty-million he has gotten playing it conservative on offense but half of that he should given to his last two defensive coordinators. Props to the Parkers on earth and in heaven!!!

As the song indicates I wonder if they really don’t have beer in heaven?

Last edited:

Latest posts