Social Issue/Political Discussion Relating to Iowa Football

Just watch the news, (I can't watch, I only read, so I can choose the content) Trump wants the final draft of the next stimulus on his desk at the end of the month.
What they argue about on how to spend it will tell you all you need to know for the next couple of months.
I also believe we are going to know by the end of the month what is going on with football. I am with you on it not happening.
I can't see how you go to a spring schedule either, so when the season is over, spring practice starts again? Tv money? Nobody is going to watch football in the spring. How do you get it flipped back to fall?? The NFL is delusional as well. 14,000 at a game?? I think when they put pen to paper and realize the bottom line, they won't play either. They will lose money trying.
In the end things are very volatile. I'm not saying go totally safe, just be careful. Before all this happened, last fall, we decided to diversify into Gold and silver and get a safe deposit box. It wasn't a the sky is falling move because it was before all this. It was an investment when we thought the price looked good. Then it dipped a couple months ago and we leveraged in some more at almost the exact price we paid last fall. Just in case they don't get the stimulus right. Just in case....
Looking today, maybe we should sell, but selling gold and silver in a volatile stock market is never a good idea.
Plus we figured it as a long term investment. Maybe even just to leave it to the kids.
So you see? That's why I have an old wash machine that I had to fix, instead of just going and buying a new one. A new washer and dryer, or another oz of gold?? Well I can certainly fix that son of a gun and make her run another year. Lol
Okay, so just for clarity you don't specifically know what "ideas" the "feds are floating around" that are going to cause an "economic explosion," you were just talking completely outta your ass and that was merely a weird guess...

Got it.

The good news is, the feds are floating some ideas around that should they hit the right combination, should yield an economic explosion possibly only rivaled by the industrial revolution.

The Ivy League thinks it is wrong to put players and fans in close quarters so they have shut down. Stanford's decision is monetary. Ohio St closes practice and workouts. This might be an asterisk type season for the hawks.

Do you think individual P5 teams will cancel football leaving gaps in schedules?

Des Moines Dowling baseball got incorrect word or and incorrect test result on one of their coaches and have to quarantine to miss the state baseball tourney as the #1 team. We could see some teams have to shut down for a time at least.

In today's recovery news Walgreen but 4000 jobs. New 1st time unemployment was lower slightly but stillastill 1.4 million compared to normal of under 200k.

Okay, so just for clarity you don't specifically know what "ideas" the "feds are floating around" that are going to cause an "economic explosion," you were just talking completely outta your ass and that was merely a weird guess...

Got it.

I guess if you can't read the news, figure it out and see what is going to happen, that's on you.
Sometimes your comments make me wonder how you have survived as long as you have. Do you not pay attention or think about things outside yourself? The bigger picture of cause and effect?

Yeah here's some fuel to those with that angle on it all. I mean yeah there's only been thousands and thousands of poor folks of all races that have been able to attend college for free when they wouldn't have otherwise without football and sports but yeah that's bad and holding them down. Whatever yo. We all have our own life decisions to make right? I look at that as an option. It's a hell of a good option compared to the alternative... And I haven't even gotten to the job creation economic side of all that and tax revenue etc etc etc. Shutting down college sports cold turkey will do what exactly to a whole lot of folks? It won't be a positive thing to do. I'll go out on that limb

Did you happen to listen to a link that Rob put up (last week I think) about the guy that suppose to be representing the players? The guy basically chased his tail in a circle for an hour and a half. The Local announcers asked several questions including issues about Wadley’s end game and other players end games............. basically what do the players want and they couldn’t get a straight answer from him. “Is this about a lawsuit?” “Do they want KF to quit?” The player’s representative just kept saying they just want to get their story out there. The announcers said any player come on their radio show and express themselves at anytime. The representative kept saying Kirk’s the one who needs to come out answer for what was going on with Wadley and the other players. For an hour and a half I kept waiting for the guy to say what the end game was. It was also brought up about statements Wadley had made praising the coaching staff and the university at the end of his playing time at Iowa. Again the player rep did t want to talk about that.

it’s just sad to see a running back that played such a key role at his position come out and attack a school and coaching staff that he once praised.
No, I didn't hear that any of that.

I heard that Wadley and his mom hired a scam artist and he has asked for other players to come forward and that they should talk to him first so he can sculpt what they say to the media -- so they could shakedown the University. Might be the same scammer story.

if Iowa is such a racist program, then why are Wadley and his mother trying to get a family member to live in this nightmare?

in an unrelated story, i heard that Jaleel Johnson and Carl Davis were going to travel to Iowa City to undo and clean up the damage to Kinnick Stadium that was done by BLM peaceful protestors.

does anyone know if that happened or was that twitter boasting?

according to the CDC for male 15-24 year olds deaths from 2/1/20 through 7/4/20 are as follows:

All deaths -- 9142
pneumonia -- 152
covid-19 -- 91
influenza -- 27

note: there is no breakdown of underlying health concerns or
if the deceased died with covid or because of covid or
if there was a positive test or symptoms of covid, or contact with an infected person to determine covid infection,

and I do pay attention when middle-aged and young people die with/from covid since I have an underlying medical condition. Most of these middle-aged and young people have underlying conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Competitive against whom, exactly? Iowa State is never going to be competitive salary-wise with Michigan, OSU, Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, etc. And every school is going to face the same shitstorm. Guys like Brohm, Kirk, Campbell, Fleck, etc. are going to get a monstrous haircut this year when the season finally gets 86ed. What are they gonna do? Is Matt Campbell gonna walk into a Story County courtroom while unemployment is 20% and ISU has laid off dozens of people and demand to be made whole on his contract? Not a fucking chance. Even the shitbag P5 programs will weather a year downturn just fine - they'll have pain and they'll spread it, but they ain't gonna disappear. It's programs like Akron, Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, Troy, Coastal Carolina, Arkansas State, Fresno State, etc. that are going to get absolutely crushed. There are 130 FBS teams. I'll call it right now - that number is sub-100 in 5 years. Guaranteed. Those regional schools are going to get hammered institutionally and there is no way they can weather the storm. If we lose P5 football programs, it will be teams like Stanford or Duke or maybe the Cal publics that go away, but it ain't gonna be the public P5s in the Midwest and South that disappear.

ISU will be playing football this fall. Bet your life savings on that.

That's what I needed to know. Thanks.

Seriously, you are like the guy that just watched the dealer throw out 28 number cards out of a single deck and yet want to know how the guy beside you made 21 on drawing a face card.
What do you say to that? Maybe cards isn't your game?
I know I exaggerated, but you don't seem to get the point ever. You want the reward without the work or sacrifice. Then if someone doesn't just tell you the answer you say whatever you can to bait them into it.
It's comical actually. Sad, but comical.

ISU will be playing football this fall. Bet your life savings on that.
Good. If Iowa and the Big10 isn't playing, then I have some family at ISU I might be able to get tickets from.

Latest posts