Sally Mason Retiring

Keep telling yourself that.

But you all, including JonDMiller, are deluding yourselves if you think the problems with the football program lie in the president's office.
No, but a leader would have FIRED the Athletic Director for the sheer incompetencey of that CONTRACT which has us shackled to a corpse!
Not doing that shows she is, at the very least, apathetic towards the AD and therefore a detriment.

Now why don't you defend the make-work, no-show, six-figure position(s) that they made for Mr. Mason?

Perhaps we shouldn't read into this. She is turning 65 this year so maybe she actually is retiring secondary to that. She'll still be in her position until July 31 so it's not like this is effective immediately. This may have nothing to do with the recent lack of success with athletics. Maybe a little but prob not the complete reason she is retiring.

Perhaps we shouldn't read into this. She is turning 65 this year so maybe she actually is retiring secondary to that. She'll still be in her position until July 31 so it's not like this is effective immediately. This may have nothing to do with the recent lack of success with athletics. Maybe a little but prob not the complete reason she is retiring.

I haven't spoken with her lately but I suspect this has as much to do with her decision as anything. I know that working with the village idiots also was shortening her life a bit. University presidents last about 7-10 years, so it probably was time for her to leave.

I find it humorous, though, that so many people are ready to lay blame for failures in the football program at her door or to think things are going to immediately improve after a new president is selected and in place.

Last edited:
tweeterhawk;1u 390894 said:
Ah, but the low-information poasters here need someone to blame, someone to scapegoat for everything they think is wrong with the football program, apparently starting with the decision to change tailgating at the University of Iowa. That person? SALLY MASON!!!!

It's cute how much you're coming to your mom's defense. You're such a good son!

Perhaps? See previous post. $1.5billion dollar campaign is ending, she's 65. Much to the chagrin of many, it has NOTHING to do with athletics.

When I received my regular visit from a UIF VP last fall, before the disappointment of this season, this announcement was alluded to. It's pretty common that in higher ed, when milestones are hit (like completing a $1.5 billion campaign) that people move on. If the person is 65...the milestone is a cherry on the top of a career. It's news, but it's not surprising news.

Where it does involve athletics is the new person, when in place, evaluates the team they inherit, evaluates then build their team. Barta will have a new boss....but not for 12 to 18 months, it remains to be seen if the new person likes or doesn't like him.

I haven't spoken with her lately but I suspect this has as much to do with her decision as anything. I know that working with the village idiots also was shortening her life a bit. University presidents last about 7-10 years, so it probably was time for her to leave.

I find it humorous, though, that so many people are ready to lay blame for failures in the football program at her door or to think things are going to immediately improve after a new president is selected and in place.

You gotta pay the cost to be the boss. If you don't want to be blamed for EVERYTHING that goes wrong within the University of Iowa, don't become President of the University of Iowa.

I love the delusional people thinking this is going to make huge changes to the athletic department.

It would only make a difference if her replacement wants winning athletic teams. Hiring an IOWAN to lead the University of Iowa, would be a step in the right direction. Someone who has some pride in Iowa athletics.

You gotta pay the cost to be the boss. If you don't want to be blamed for EVERYTHING that goes wrong within the University of Iowa, don't become President of the University of Iowa.

funny-barack-michelle-obama-face.jpg

Jon's going to keep ducking you I think.

I was able to give multiple reasons on what she's done to help. Nobody can present one thing going the other direction.

Ummm, she continues to employ Gary Barta. That's the big enough reason. Then you have to assign her the responsibility for all of Barta's disastrous decisions.

I work at the U & just spoke with someone a bit ago who knows Sally. She said when she last spoke with her it's been on her mind for a while & Sally was fed up with dealing with the Regents.

Keep telling yourself that.

But you all, including JonDMiller, are deluding yourselves if you think the problems with the football program lie in the president's office.

The problems may not lie there, but solving those problems starts there.

I'd be interested to hear some wild conjecture about how Sally's departure will mean great things for Iowa football. It'll be another barn burner of a podcast. Deace can join in. How could we resist such infotainment?

You really think you are going to get a more athletics-friendly president in 2015? Seriously? The village idiots will be selecting from among a pool of applicants who all grew up in a politically-correct, gender-neutral, no winners-no losers-everyone-gets-a-trophy education system.

Now who's the delusional one?

tweeter, do you have a list of candidates? I haven't seen one yet. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts