Sally Mason Retiring

Many posters say the football program needs to be changed. (I agree with this in a lot of ways) Many of those same people say it starts at "the top" and that Kirk has to go; even to going on incessantly about how inept Kirk is and how bad our program is.

Funny how those people believe that there are problems but think that "the top" is Kirk. If attitude is to be changed it truly does have to start at the top. Mason is "the top" as far as the University of Iowa is concerned. And her retiring is a first step in that change.

Sounds like this is directed specifically at tweeterdelusionhawk. He's still arguing whether the earth is flat or not and white knighting sally mason as his hobby. It's very odd (or intentional) to demonstrate this degree of delusion or "low information".

It will probably take her a while to be replaced. Ferentz and Barta gone in 2 years, packaged deal. President hires his own AD, AD hires his own Football coach.

Sounds like this is directed specifically at tweeterdelusionhawk. He's still arguing whether the earth is flat or not and white knighting sally mason as his hobby. It's very odd (or intentional) to demonstrate this degree of delusion or "low information".

Tweets has gone totally postal on this topic. He seems to think that me and me alone caused this whole thing, and that I was the only person who felt Iowa deserves a better President and AD

Tweets has gone totally postal on this topic. He seems to think that me and me alone caused this whole thing, and that I was the only person who felt Iowa deserves a better President and AD

People seem to forget Sally had some non-athletic issues as well. She didn't exactly get the best "vote of confidence" from the Regents last year from her review. In the past, there were a couple university investigations that have been questioned.

She did have a difficult situation in the beginning when she came in right before the floods. But, over her tenure, she'd had some issues here.

Thinking back to yesterdays presser Kirk talked a lot about spending less time at fundraising events and concentrating on football more. Wasn't a criticism of Mason was that fundraising is all she really cared about. Kind of interesting connecting the dots looking back to yesterday

YES!!!

The next president must be pro-athletics and realize how important it is to the University's image.

Good luck finding someone like that as virtually all of the candidates will have grown up in the era of

participation-trophies.jpg

Tweeter, Sparky and Rosebowler have a clear agenda.

Sorry guys... brighter days are ahead.

Keep telling yourself that.

But you all, including JonDMiller, are deluding yourselves if you think the problems with the football program lie in the president's office.

Do I think Mason was bad for the athletic department? I don't know, maybe, maybe not. But I also don't know whether she had a positive impact for the athletic department. Maybe the new president will.

Honestly, I'm happy about this regardless of whether it has a significant impact on the athletic department. I just don't think she was very good at her job.

The way I see this going down is Barta will be next (probably moving on to another school), and then after next season, Ferentz announces his retirement. When would be the best timing for Barta to leave, assuming it isn't going to happen in the next couple months lol?

The way I see this going down is Barta will be next (probably moving on to another school), and then after next season, Ferentz announces his retirement. When would be the best timing for Barta to leave, assuming it isn't going to happen in the next couple months lol?

By the way, your avator freaks me out every time I see it! :eek:

Mason's impact on athletics has been BEYOND inflated on this site. Mason, like most college presidents, has bigger fish to fry than the football team. She focuses on academics. Gary Barta is the athletics czar at the University of Iowa. His full time job is to oversee the athletic department. He eats, sleeps, and breaths Hawkeye athletics. He watches each and every hawkeye football game. Mason could not tell you the name of our starting left tackle. If it is painfully obvious that the playcalling is stale, recruiting is down, and the coach is playing favorites, it is Gary Barta who sees it, not Mason. The buck stops with Gary.

The whole University needs to be spotlighted better as far as public image goes, such as moving away from the negative magazine party school rankings [my how my thoughts have "matured" since 30 years ago ;) ]. They have also dropped in certain academic rankings (and perceptions) over the past few years as well. One of the many faces of a university is the athletic department, with Football Operations heading that up. It certainly helps in many ways to have this area be embraced by the school president. Change is good on so many levels. From most areas that I have seen (excluding fundraising), this will be good across the entire spectrum of the U of I to have change at the Top.

Yes the BOR will dictate the future, and I too am hopeful that they bring in someone who is able to accomplish improved athletics (including better football) and athletic results, but also someone who can bring back up the enrollment, the growth of incoming freshmen classes, and return the highly perceived and real status of the Colleges within the University.

Mason's impact on athletics has been BEYOND inflated on this site. Mason, like most college presidents, has bigger fish to fry than the football team. She focuses on academics. Gary Barta is the athletics czar at the University of Iowa. His full time job is to oversee the athletic department. He eats, sleeps, and breaths Hawkeye athletics. He watches each and every hawkeye football game. Mason could not tell you the name of our starting left tackle. If it is painfully obvious that the playcalling is stale, recruiting is down, and the coach is playing favorites, it is Gary Barta who sees it, not Mason. The buck stops with Gary.

Yes, it's 98%+ Barta's job to oversee the athletic department. But he's got superiors within the university, too. If he's not doing his job, someone makes the call to fire him. I don't think a university president has to be hands on in everything regarding athletics, but I certainly want one to have some sort of investment into athletics (beyond just making sure it's profitable) and be at least reasonably knowledgable about what's going on. For example, the president ought to know who the Outland Trophy-winning left tackle is (to use your example).

The University of Iowa is a hospital with a football team. As long as those two things are going well, the rest will fall into place. I'd like to see a President who recognizes this.

Latest posts