Sally Mason Retiring

Jon's going to keep ducking you I think.

I was able to give multiple reasons on what she's done to help. Nobody can present one thing going the other direction.

Sparky, could you please provide that list again? I didn't see your original list. I'd like to form an educated opinion. I would presume that one item many folks would point to in the negative to the football program column is the buyout language, included in the head football coaches contract, that she gave her approval to. But I would like to see your list for a pros and cons assessment.

I work at the U & just spoke with someone a bit ago who knows Sally. She said when she last spoke with her it's been on her mind for a while & Sally was fed up with dealing with the Regents.

This is great news today. I would like to think they were fed up with her as well.

Iowa is just ok academically and not good athletically. As what others have said on here, I hope the regents get this right and find someone who understands the importance of athletics as well as academics.

I won't hold my breath though on the regents either.

This is great news today. I would like to think they were fed up with her as well.

Iowa is just ok academically and not good athletically. As what others have said on here, I hope the regents get this right and find someone who understands the importance of athletics as well as academics.

I won't hold my breath though on the regents either.

I wouldn't bet the farm on them getting it right. A bunch of Cyclone-leaning mental midgets.

Not even her most ardent supporters would claim Sally Mason's presidency has been perfect. But despite a plethora of challenges--including the 2008 floods and the politically motivated attempts by the Board of Regents to knock the UI down a notch or two--she will leave behind a legacy of worthy accomplishments. Some of the dividends (including a significant boost in in-state enrollment to appease the knuckleheaded Regents) will probably be reaped by her successor, although the thought of the current Regents picking the next leader is more scary than the thought of Gary Barta picking the next football coach.

Everyone is so eager to see her go. Yet no one -- even Jon Miller -- is able to point to even one specific thing she did to harm the athletics department.

I would be very worried about who the village idiots, aka the Iowa Board of Regents, hire to replace her.

She allowed Gary to draft the most idiotic contract in sports coaching history. That work for ya?

of course there's also the war on tailgating, that's was another idiotic deal.

When things go bad under your watch due to neglect or otherwise....you're ultimately responsible.

Was she really supposed to have stepped in and put the kibosh on that? Should everything Barta does go through Mason's office? Come on.

It's a double edge sword. Of course you have hired someone to do a job, so you let them do their job......the thing is it does become your fault when the guy you hired to do the job is grossly negligent in preforming the duties of his job. That contract is an albatross around this program, and is grounds for firing Barta for that alone.

Was she really supposed to have stepped in and put the kibosh on that? Should everything Barta does go through Mason's office? Come on.

Yes she should of. You do know contracts are part of the president's office don't you? Barta didn't approve that contract on his own.

Plus, Mason DID sign off on the contract on September 3rd, 2010. Ferentz and Barta signed it on September 2nd. She had a day to go thru it and say no way. Of course her signature was only a formality. She'd already agreed to the extension long before she signed it.

There were (are) issues far more serious than the football team. Sometimes when you win you just remain silent. I doubt we'll hear any comment from the Governor's office. There was a guy who was supposed to become President of the Board of Regents. He's gone too. It started then.

Some of these issue would result in job loss, and worse, if you or I did this.

She did good things. She's gone. Leave her be.

I haven't spoken with her lately but I suspect this has as much to do with her decision as anything. I know that working with the village idiots also was shortening her life a bit. University presidents last about 7-10 years, so it probably was time for her to leave.

I find it humorous, though, that so many people are ready to lay blame for failures in the football program at her door or to think things are going to immediately improve after a new president is selected and in place.

You have no chance, tweeter. You understand the real issues here and a large group of posters have absolutely no idea; they just go with, "let's find somebody to blame and fire them." Its the new American way, man. But, I appreciate your comments...thanks!

You have no chance, tweeter. You understand the real issues here and a large group of posters have absolutely no idea; they just go with, "let's find somebody to blame and fire them." Its the new American way, man. But, I appreciate your comments...thanks!

Most posters do understand that Barta reports to Mason, correct? The athletic department at Iowa compared to the Big Ten let alone all D1 is horrid, correct? She's had the option to keep Barta or find another AD which she's not done, so that's on her since he reports to her. Add to the fact she approved of and signed off on KF's contract extension shows a problem with her performance as president.

I understand some of you on here may know her and like her, but the fact is Iowa academically is just ok (Ranked 71st) and athletically as a whole is abysmal.

I have advice for Barta. I'd polish up my resume. The right hire as president and BarBar will be finished. The concern is will the regents hire a PC type of person like Mason or hire someone who'll shake things up? Do the regents have it in them to get the right person? I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Yeah. The Regents (dimwits and low-watt bulbs I'm sure) are making it hard for Dr. Sally to doing her job

Does KF get a pass because fundraisers, MAC teams, and ISU are makkng it hard for him to do his?

Most posters do understand that Barta reports to Mason, correct? The athletic department at Iowa compared to the Big Ten let alone all D1 is horrid, correct? She's had the option to keep Barta or find another AD which she's not done, so that's on her since he reports to her. Add to the fact she approved of and signed off on KF's contract extension shows a problem with her performance as president.

I understand some of you on here may know her and like her, but the fact is Iowa academically is just ok (Ranked 71st) and athletically as a whole is abysmal.

I have advice for Barta. I'd polish up my resume. The right hire as president and BarBar will be finished. The concern is will the regents hire a PC type of person like Mason or hire someone who'll shake things up? Do the regents have it in them to get the right person? I'm not holding my breath.
Like her, or hater, calling her a PC type of person is beyond laughable.

Like her, or hate her, calling her a PC type of person is beyond laughable.

Latest posts