Rev. Deuce Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rev. Moses Hogan on the campus and on the field will hopefully be a great blessing (sorry about the religious reference) to him, the staff, the team, and the fans.

Given his pleasant personality and his Christian faith, which he seems to be quite appreciative of and thankful for, he might become a polarizing lightening rod, especially for those who think he should perhaps discuss "luck" "fate" "reason" his own "amazing talent" that he has "worked so hard for" during post game interviews after Iowa victories. How will Moses be experienced when he "Goes Tebow" and thanks the Lord for the opportunity, etc. etc.? Humbleness, thankfulness, appreciation of blessings, appreciation of others, a forgiving heart, mercy, a thankfulness for a father and mother, patriotism - just don't play that well in our new culture where brashness, arrogance, resentment, selfishness, staking a claim as a victim, demanding special treatment, disrespect of authority, and the "new intolerance," are often praised as the only "good." The "new intolerance" found infesting so many institutions of higher learning could be a "Lion's Den" for any Neo-Tebow.

Several years ago, I think I was listening to The Dan Patrick show. Dan was interviewing a well-known sports journalist (forget who) and Dan asked this question..."What is the most heated response you ever received from a reader about one of your, often, cutting edge sports stories?" The writer thought briefly and said it was a response he had received from his wife, after he wrote an edgy article about Tim Tebow and how he wasn't NFL material and was lacking in so many ways, physically. He explained that after he wrote the article and it was published his wife read it and met him at the door of the house when he got home. He explained that his wife said, "Don't you ever, ever, ever write something like that trash article again. Tim Tebow is one of the nicest men I have ever met, ever (including you). So don't ever write something like that again. I am ashamed of it. And very angry." The wife had met and visited with Tebow not long before the article in an airport as they were waiting to board a plane. Dan asked the journalist if his wife was joking or pulling his chain when she confronted him. The sports journalist said, "No, she was NOT joking, she was serious, and I haven't written a word about Tebow again, and won't."

Moses on Campus could be exciting, fun, and a great blessing! What a gift we might have among us! Perhaps it will be a time of Hawkeye appreciation for a gift received!

Ok, how how do you reconcile a raped woman be put to death with the rapist if she doesnt scream. But lives if she does. God was the same always. So discuss the God of compassion.... Ill hang up and listen. While you interject.

Because man had something to do with it. Man decided what books should and shouldn't be included. Maybe they didn't transcribe something exactly (for any reason).
I'm not a word for word type person. Listen, people lie. People like to twist things to suit themselves. They have always done this.
God himself could show up for a week long visit in your town and everyone is going to have a different story. Right? That's logical.
But then you are going to have people who lived in the next town over and they are maybe going to tell someone that they also met him, but didn't. That they were in your town one day... Or they met him on the way in or the way out of your town.....
Look no further than religion itself. Basically they are all arguing over and disagreeing on the details. (Mostly).
Now factor in that Kings and Queens had to reconcile that something of great importance happened, important enough to affect mankind, and you and I both know they were not going to tell the truth or the whole truth if it meant relinquishing power. Or if it meant anything that didn't suit their agenda. You can see how things got left out. Twisted or just plain lied about.
Again man's inequity.

The Iowa staff encouraged him to enjoy his senior year, which he said was a relief to he and his family, so he will not be enrolling early. He also said that he thinks a RS season might benefit him.

Iowa will always spend some time under center, but I think we will see a lot more shotgun going forward.

Also in the article: Hogan ran a 50-flat 400m as a freshman. That is legitimate wheels.

The thing about calling a QB a running qb vs a mobile qb is hard for some to seem to grasp. Yes, if Nate Stanley would have been just a little bit faster his escapability factor would have been better and he could have converted a fair number of 1st downs by eluding the pass rush.

It is really good to have a fast qb even if they dont run the ball as designed very much.

Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees both can still run really well but they dont run the ball much.

Most qbs under Kirk have been very fast to fast enough to pick up some very needed yardage.

The thing about calling a QB a running qb vs a mobile qb is hard for some to seem to grasp. Yes, if Nate Stanley would have been just a little bit faster his escapability factor would have been better and he could have converted a fair number of 1st downs by eluding the pass rush.

It is really good to have a fast qb even if they dont run the ball as designed very much.

Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees both can still run really well but they dont run the ball much.

Most qbs under Kirk have been very fast to fast enough to pick up some very needed yardage.
If an opposing defense knows that a QB doesn't have much of an ability to hurt you if he breaks out on a run...you can put your ears back...and GO, GO, GO with little risk. That's the issue with Stanley.

A comparison is boxing, where a boxer might have an outstanding left jab, with long reach, but seldom uses it. The opponent has to be very careful, even cautious, because he "might" use it, limiting his avenues to victory. If that jab threat isn't there...you just rush in for the kill with few worries.

Iowa's offense, recently, fits this scenario where the running backs aren't much of a risk for something big, and the receivers have talent, but don't get the ball to them in stride often enough to cause much of a risk either. So, you can clog up the middle and go for the QB with little risk. The QB draw, the quick and efficient screen passes, which tend to stymie aggressive defenses, surprisingly, aren't in the Iowa playbook much.

I am a life long Methodist. A Catholic friend of mine said, “Oh. You mean the church that believes in the Ten Suggestions?”

And you actually believe all these exaggerations, stereotypes and lies it seems. I mean, wow, that is truly breathtaking.
The Catholic Church doesn’t have a pervasive and centuries-long problem of priests raping boys because their fairy tale dogma says they can’t have sex or marry, so they take advantage of children, the most vulnerable people in society?

Multiple religions don’t encourage and promulgate arranged marriage regardless of the approval of the teen and preteen girls involved?

Muslims don’t behead non-believers in the Middle East because their fairytale book tells them it’s ok, and even expected of infidels?

Christians didn’t crusade around the world executing millions of people and taking over their countries and cultures under threat on not converting to said Christian mythology?

Religious organizations in the US aren’t exempt from paying taxes?

Israel and Muslim countries don’t shoot at each other over their walls because each side thinks their own goomba in the sky is the correct one and that the land is a birthright given to them by their spirit deity?

Alan Turing didn’t get his nuts cut off because the state found out he was gay and being gay isn’t allowed by the man in the sky?

Your ignorance is what’s “breathtaking.”

All this religion babble.

Buddy_christ.jpg

George Carlin had it right.

How many times in your life have you been barred from saying Merry Christmas? Is it zero or are you going to lie?

Holy subject change, Batman. Reminds me of the time I met Boss Hogg at the mall. We all loaded up in my old man's 1979 Buick. We used to call it "Buck Buick." We drove from Coalville down to Merle Hay Mall. My cousin from Humboldt was there and he cried so hard because Boss Hogg was the bad guy on Dukes of Hazzard. My granddad was there, too, and he had a rope holding his pants up with an onion in place of a belt buckle. That was the style of those days.

That is a good comeback retweet but I find it ironic that a devout Christian as this Hogan kid is supposed to be might do a comeback like this. It seems simpler to just no comment but maybe he knows the original tweeter.

Isn't like he robbed a liquor store for cripes sakes.

The Catholic Church doesn’t have a pervasive and centuries-long problem of priests raping boys because their fairy tale dogma says they can’t have sex or marry, so they take advantage of children, the most vulnerable people in society?

Multiple religions don’t encourage and promulgate arranged marriage regardless of the approval of the teen and preteen girls involved?

Muslims don’t behead non-believers in the Middle East because their fairytale book tells them it’s ok, and even expected of infidels?

Christians didn’t crusade around the world executing millions of people and taking over their countries and cultures under threat on not converting to said Christian mythology?

Religious organizations in the US aren’t exempt from paying taxes?

Israel and Muslim countries don’t shoot at each other over their walls because each side thinks their own goomba in the sky is the correct one and that the land is a birthright given to them by their spirit deity?

Alan Turing didn’t get his nuts cut off because the state found out he was gay and being gay isn’t allowed by the man in the sky?

Your ignorance is what’s “breathtaking.”
Do you spend a lot of time alone?

Ok, I'm curious. What brings him here from Texas. Is there a connection? Family connection? I'm glad he's coming here but wonder what is it about Iowa. Looking at the Rivals site, it looks as if he took 3 visits to Iowa but none to any of the other universities/colleges, including Georgia. Seems strange but I'm good with that.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/deuce-hogan-219751
Perhaps Stanley, who does speak of his faith at times, was a healthy influence on bringing Rev. Moses to Iowa City? Was Stanley Moses' host on the campus visits? That would be logical. Perhaps Rev. Hogan feels Iowa is a safe place to be "who he is" and this might be the primary aspect he was looking for in his program of choice. Or, given the political climate on campus, perhaps he sees the "new intolerants" as a ripe mission field.

His time with Iowa should be interesting and hopefully, very successful. If he is successful, well, what great publicity that would be for the program. A QB who leads the team to new heights, on dry ground!

I am a life long Methodist. A Catholic friend of mine said, “Oh. You mean the church that believes in the Ten Suggestions?”

Yet somehow the most sure, are the ones with the biggest scandals.
You know that every extremist religious faction on Earth is sure? Wasn't it the Catholics who were consorting with the Kings and Queens (same Kings and Queens that said "ok, but not if it affects my rule".
They withhold and change information now just like they did then. To think otherwise is ludicrous.
Again this is man's inequity.
It's funny to me, because really the only question is, do you believe there is a God, after that things get fuzzy. But the fuzzy is man's problem. Man's inequity.
It's odd that so many people can agree on something so big as a God and be so petty as to fight over the details. I guess maybe the devil is in the details.

Last edited:
Yet somehow the most sure, are the ones with the biggest scandals.
You know that every extremist religious faction on Earth is sure? Wasn't it the Catholics who were consorting with the Kings and Queens (same Kings and Queens that said "ok, but not if it affects my rule".
They withhold and change information now just like they did then. To think otherwise is ludicrous.
Again this is man's inequity.
It's funny to me, because really the only question is, do you believe there is a God, after that things get fuzzy. But the fuzzy is man's problem. Man's inequity.
It's odd that so many people can agree on something so big as a God and be so petty as to fight over the details. I guess maybe the devil is in the details.
How do your comments connect with or relate to a discussion about the spirituality of an incoming QB recruit from Texas?

Ok, I'm curious. What brings him here from Texas. Is there a connection? Family connection? I'm glad he's coming here but wonder what is it about Iowa. Looking at the Rivals site, it looks as if he took 3 visits to Iowa but none to any of the other universities/colleges, including Georgia. Seems strange but I'm good with that.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/deuce-hogan-219751

Do me a favor, genius. Click again on that link you posted. Look at who the recruiter was. Think about the question for another minute or two.

When you have a QB on the line and you send in the big gun closer, deals get done. If you have a couple religious parents down in Texas and the Maestro shows up with a tape of Drew Tate highlights, drops a few names about his days in the NFL with the Dolphins and then shows off the Orange Bowl ring, you're getting that commitment. For everyone pissing and moaning about the stale offense or coaching staff, the flipside to having long tenured guys around the program is that you can commit without worrying about them leaving. Say Baylor has another good year and Texas runs Hermann, new head coach. Say Kirby goes 8-4 next year and the natives in Athens get restless, new head coach. A recruit in this environment can commit to guys like KOK, Brian and Kirk Ferentz and know they'll still be there in a few years. Stability is a huge factor for some people and there ain't anyone more stable than the old guard of the Iowa staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts