Rev. Deuce Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be a miracle if he came in and beats out 3 quarterbacks that have been in the program working hard.

The Catholic Church doesn’t have a pervasive and centuries-long problem of priests raping boys because their fairy tale dogma says they can’t have sex or marry, so they take advantage of children, the most vulnerable people in society?

Multiple religions don’t encourage and promulgate arranged marriage regardless of the approval of the teen and preteen girls involved?

Muslims don’t behead non-believers in the Middle East because their fairytale book tells them it’s ok, and even expected of infidels?

Christians didn’t crusade around the world executing millions of people and taking over their countries and cultures under threat on not converting to said Christian mythology?

Religious organizations in the US aren’t exempt from paying taxes?

Israel and Muslim countries don’t shoot at each other over their walls because each side thinks their own goomba in the sky is the correct one and that the land is a birthright given to them by their spirit deity?

Alan Turing didn’t get his nuts cut off because the state found out he was gay and being gay isn’t allowed by the man in the sky?

Your ignorance is what’s “breathtaking.”

A small percentage of Catholic priests have done terrible things and that is shameful. The vast majority of priests have not and most of them are great men.

Some religions do force marriages but I am only defending Christianity.

Radical Muslims do be-head people and commit acts of terrorism. Most Muslims do not.

Christians did not crusade around the world executing "millions" of people. That's a complete exaggeration and they didn't set off to execute anyone. At the time, it was culturally acceptable to take over other countries. People of all religions, races and creeds did it to each other. That's using modern norms and imposing them into the past.

I don't get what your point is about religious organizations being exempted from taxes. So are other non-profits. I know the Founding Fathers believed Religion was necessary because of man being prone to slide into evil.

Modern Israel was created in 1948 and there have been wars there because Muslim countries didn't accept modern Israel. It really isn't about religion between them but about who should have the land. Prior to 1948, Muslims and Jews got along relatively well.

I don't know anything about Alan Turing and his nuts. If some religion did that to him because he was gay that is wrong. But today, being pro-traditional marriage could bring you hate, screaming and threats.

It would be a miracle if he came in and beats out 3 quarterbacks that have been in the program working hard.
He will be walking on eggs...needs to do well, but not show "too much" talent and play-making...or he will rot on the bench.

"What do you think of Moses Hogan dad? I would like to work him into the starting QB slot and have some plays that might work well with him..."

"Well, son, he needs to learn how to throw the ball away more. And I get nervous when he tries to run for a first down. Has to learn to love the punt."

A small percentage of Catholic priests have done terrible things and that is shameful. The vast majority of priests have not and most of them are great men.

Radical Muslims do be-head people and commit acts of terrorism. Most Muslims do not.

Christians did not crusade around the world executing "millions" of people. That's a complete exaggeration and they didn't set off to execute anyone. At the time, it was culturally acceptable to take over other countries. People of all religions, races and creeds did it to each other. That's using modern norms and imposing them into the past.

I don't get what your point is about religious organizations being exempted from taxes. So are other non-profits. I know the Founding Fathers believed Religion was necessary because of man being prone to slide into evil.

Modern Israel was created in 1948 and there have been wars there because Muslim countries didn't accept modern Israel. It really isn't about religion between them but about who should have the land. Prior to 1948, Muslims and Jews got along relatively well.

I don't know anything about Alan Turing and his nuts. If some religion did that to him because he was gay that is wrong. But today, being pro-traditional marriage could bring you hate, screaming and threats.
The founding fathers wanted to protect religion from the government, not protect the country from religion.

Now, with the "new intolerants," if you believe in heterosexual marriage, you necessarily hate gays. Idiot think that somehow is never challenged.

The Iowa staff encouraged him to enjoy his senior year, which he said was a relief to he and his family, so he will not be enrolling early. He also said that he thinks a RS season might benefit him.

Iowa will always spend some time under center, but I think we will see a lot more shotgun going forward.

Also in the article: Hogan ran a 50-flat 400m as a freshman. That is legitimate wheels.

From Rob's article today he says that Deuce is early enrolling. So now I'm confused....

"The pro-style signal caller plans on enrolling next month and participating in offseason workouts. He can toss his 10-gallon hat in the race to replace outgoing starter Nate Stanley."

Its not the number of priests and pastors that is the bigger problem though I suspect the number is higher than you think. Its the number that looked the other way and or covered it up. That number is staggering.

Then you have the lay people such as the Iowa Rep fighting to save the church finances by fighting the statute of limitations extension in Iowa.

The southern Baptist are currently getting called out and the fundamental ones.

The Mennonite onslaught of covered abuse is just starting and may outdo the others.

There is an Iowa Sheriff that harasses those who come forward. It is a very derp problem.

Generally I believe churches and organizations like scouts are magnates for abusers. However the coverup is the bigger issue.

I personally know a prin of a high school who became that after admitting to sex...rape of an underaged student he coached. The community loves him. He repented and started his own assembly of God church.

I was so excited to come into a thread and talk about the dude that I hope is the starter in the fall and a guy with leadership qualities that the program hasn't seen since Drew Tate, and I get...this.

A pox on all your houses.

I was so excited to come into a thread and talk about the dude that I hope is the starter in the fall and a guy with leadership qualities that the program hasn't seen since Drew Tate, and I get...this.

Wheres Fryowa to tell everyone to get this shit out of here? Oh wait....

It's a message board. What did you expect?

Looking forward to Kirk setting the Deuce loose.

Hogan's spirituality, mobility, calmness under pressure, and leadership ability might be a great blessing for Iowa football. That is my hope, in this season of hope. Perhaps hoping for accuracy is also in order.

Badass as in you found it informative and enlightening?

No. Moreso badass as in I think that way too. The only minor difference is I realized at a young age that religion and the whole heaven and hell thing is made up, so I just assumed that meant there is no way we were created by a higher power and there's definitely no after life. Over the years I've thought about it more and realized that just because religion is made up, it doesn't mean we weren't created by a higher power. It's just beyond obvious that he isn't watching over us with the intent of judging where to send us for eternity. It also doesn't mean there is nothing after you die. Hell even if we weren't created by a higher power, it's still possible there is something after death. Those two things don't have to go hand and hand. That said, I still highly doubt there's an afterlife. I just realized that just because religion is fake, it doesn't rule out that possibility.

I also agree that the idea of god was created to explain something we couldn't explain, just like Zeus was. What I find interesting is no one realized it didn't really answer any questions. All it did was change the question. "Now we know how people got here but we still don't know how god got here". It doesn't help explain shit. Something still got here in an unexplainable way, so why add in a god?

And also like you said, religion was created to help scare people and keep them in line. When they're kids you can tell them to be good or Santa won't bring them presents. I've always thought going to hell is just the same scare tactic, but for adults.

No. Moreso badass as in I think that way too. The only minor difference is I realized at a young age that religion and the whole heaven and hell thing is made up, so I just assumed that meant there is no way we were created by a higher power and there's definitely no after life. Over the years I've thought about it more and realized that just because religion is made up, it doesn't mean we weren't created by a higher power. It's just beyond obvious that he isn't watching over us with the intent of judging where to send us for eternity. It also doesn't mean there is nothing after you die. Hell even if we weren't created by a higher power, it's still possible there is something after death. Those two things don't have to go hand and hand. That said, I still highly doubt there's an afterlife. I just realized that just because religion is fake, it doesn't rule out that possibility.

I also agree that the idea of god was created to explain something we couldn't explain, just like Zeus was. What I find interesting is no one realized it didn't really answer any questions. All it did was change the question. "Now we know how people got here but we still don't know how god got here". It doesn't help explain shit. Something still got here in an unexplainable way, so why add in a god?

And also like you said, religion was created to help scare people and keep them in line. When they're kids you can tell them to be good or Santa won't bring them presents. I've always thought going to hell is just the same scare tactic, but for adults.
Thanks! I have half of my sermon done already for this week!

Thanks! I have half of my sermon done already for this week!
Can I write next week’s?

Like me or hate me, I can put together structured ideas that tie back to a central theme, my imagery is creative, and I can tune my sense of humor to the audience like I do here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts