Rev. Deuce Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you spend a lot of time alone?
So in other words you don’t have an intelligent response?

Usually taking the “I know you are but what am I” route like that is a clear sign that you don’t have a logical counterpoint. It’s normally reserved for daycare kids, but I digress.

I actually don’t spend a whole lot of time alone at all.

So in other words you don’t have an intelligent response?

Usually taking the “I know you are but what am I” route like that is a clear sign that you don’t have a logical counterpoint. It’s normally reserved for daycare kids, but I digress.

I actually don’t spend a whole lot of time alone at all.
Actually, I didn't read much of what you wrote, it was long...and just giving you a little crap :)

Enjoy the holidays!

Well this post this post escalated quickly. I'm about as far away from religion as anyone but I can respect someone who is passionate about something and if he shows the kind of passion and dedication to football as he has his faith, we might have something special.

Do me a favor, genius. Click again on that link you posted. Look at who the recruiter was. Think about the question for another minute or two.

When you have a QB on the line and you send in the big gun closer, deals get done. If you have a couple religious parents down in Texas and the Maestro shows up with a tape of Drew Tate highlights, drops a few names about his days in the NFL with the Dolphins and then shows off the Orange Bowl ring, you're getting that commitment. For everyone pissing and moaning about the stale offense or coaching staff, the flipside to having long tenured guys around the program is that you can commit without worrying about them leaving. Say Baylor has another good year and Texas runs Hermann, new head coach. Say Kirby goes 8-4 next year and the natives in Athens get restless, new head coach. A recruit in this environment can commit to guys like KOK, Brian and Kirk Ferentz and know they'll still be there in a few years. Stability is a huge factor for some people and there ain't anyone more stable than the old guard of the Iowa staff.

You never disappoint!

S'pose a lot of it has to do with Iowa running a pro-style offense and how Iowa develops players for the NFL. Who better to teach the young man the pro-style offense and get him ready for the NFL than KOK!!

You never disappoint!

S'pose a lot of it has to do with Iowa running a pro-style offense and how Iowa develops players for the NFL. Who better to teach the young man the pro-style offense and get him ready for the NFL than KOK!!

All the pros use it, hence the name pro style. Better off having a guy with NFL experience teach it than some jamoche like Lincoln Riley.

Well this post this post escalated quickly. I'm about as far away from religion as anyone but I can respect someone who is passionate about something and if he shows the kind of passion and dedication to football as he has his faith, we might have something special.
I am hoping Deuce Hogan becomes a nationally recognized talent, and person!

Please Kirk and Brian...don't muffle his talent. Let him run...free, a bit.

Or we could talk about how churches feed the hungry, clothe the naked and shelter the homeless. Churches do pretty well at those things.

Also good about visiting the sick and shut ins.
A toddler’s brain can conclude that you don’t need an imaginary goomba man in the sky to be nice to people.

Rape boys, arrange marriages, behead people in the desert, crusade across Europe, hate everyone who doesn’t believe in their particular comic book, don’t pay taxes, shoot rockets over walls, let’s sterilize Alan Turing ‘cause he’s gay maybe...but why don’t we just look past it because they hand out sack lunches and donate some mosquito nets. Yeeeaaahhh...

Wacko people believing dumb ghost stories have killed and enslaved billions more people than they’ll ever save digging fresh water ditches to houses in Haiti, Jack. You don’t have to kneel down to some guy with a funny hat and kiss his ring to help and comfort people. Learning that is what separates knuckle dragging cavemen from humans.

Some might say that is using religion wrongly. Kind of like using a weapon to kill someone. Is it the person or the weapon?

The Catholic Church doesn’t have a pervasive and centuries-long problem of priests raping boys because their fairy tale dogma says they can’t have sex or marry, so they take advantage of children, the most vulnerable people in society?

Multiple religions don’t encourage and promulgate arranged marriage regardless of the approval of the teen and preteen girls involved?

Muslims don’t behead non-believers in the Middle East because their fairytale book tells them it’s ok, and even expected of infidels?

Christians didn’t crusade around the world executing millions of people and taking over their countries and cultures under threat on not converting to said Christian mythology?

Religious organizations in the US aren’t exempt from paying taxes?

Israel and Muslim countries don’t shoot at each other over their walls because each side thinks their own goomba in the sky is the correct one and that the land is a birthright given to them by their spirit deity?

Alan Turing didn’t get his nuts cut off because the state found out he was gay and being gay isn’t allowed by the man in the sky?

Your ignorance is what’s “breathtaking.”

You ever see the south park where Cartman goes in the future where everyone is atheist? It's pretty damn funny. They all still fight each other over minor details on their atheist beliefs. The point is humans will always find a reason to fight. Religion just happens to be the easiest excuse.

And it's highly unlikely priests become pedophiles because they can't have sex with women. It's more likely that pedophiles become priests so they can have easy access to kids.

Also good about visiting the sick and shut ins.

Some might say that is using religion wrongly. Kind of like using a weapon to kill someone. Is it the person or the weapon?
I’d reply that a weapon has legitimate uses. You could hunt or defend yourself; doesn’t have to be murder.

Religion doesn’t have an alternate purpose. At all.

There’s literally nothing positive that you can’t already do without it, so it doesn’t serve a purpose, per se. You can’t tell me that spirituality serves a necessary function of feeding the homeless, or clothing the needy, or any other altruistic thing. If you open your eyes and mind you’d see that all of that stuff can be done just simply by itself. And people who don’t believe in ghost stories do great things all the time. You might not take that into account since you think non believers are heathens, but it’s true.

Look man, myths and spirituality happened because early humans didn’t have an understanding of the natural world and wanted to know why they were alive. So they dreamt shit up and passed it on down the line as fairy tales. The only thing that distinguishes the early ones from the modern ones like Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc., is the level of complexity. It’s Cat In The Hat vs. Moby Dick. They’re both total bullshit fiction, but one sounds more convincing because it’s more complicated.

Then organized religion came along—created by people—to do two things...1) comfort people who are so feeble-minded that they can’t come to grips with the possibility of no “afterlife”—the idea that when you croak the lights just go out and that’s it, and 2) to control people.

What better way for kings and priests to control the illiterate peasantry than to tell them scary ghost stories about how the big dude created them all, he’s watching, and if you don’t follow the goofy instruction manual, depending on which “religiaflavor” you eat that you’re going to either burn up for eternity or not get an afterlife?

That’s it, man. Control, and a drug so you don’t have to face the fact that at some point you’re gonna die and everything will just shut off and go dark like you were never there. I assume you’re a jesus guy, maybe I’m wrong, but did you ever ask yourself why you believe that horse pucky? Say what you want, but you and I both know it’s because either A. you got convinced by some evangelist that you needed to join their cult lest you lose your soul, or B. the last 10 generations of your family told each successive one that they had to go to church. Guess what...the same thing would have happened had you been born in Syria or India or Israel or the US. The only thing different would be the particular ghost story depending on where you live.

You wanna help someone? Just do it then. You don’t need some fake thing that you know deep down is just a made up yarn from a thousand years ago. If someone told you they thought hobgoblins were a real thing and that they had a conversation with one you’d call the looney bin and wouldn’t let them near your kids. But if somebody told you he was at home last night and had a personal talk with Jesus and it changed the direction of his life, and he felt the power come over him, you’d think, “Wow! What an amazing experience! That pastor is someone I’d leave my kids alone with and let him help guide their lives down the right path!” You see how goddamn dumb that is? I don’t know about you, but I’m sticking with unicorns and fairies because I’m pretty sure those aren’t gonna rape a kid or cut someone’s head off because they read the wrong book.

The amount of good this garbage has done building Habitat houses or giving shoes to kids in Zimbabwe is waaaaaaaaaay offset by all the killing and torturing and enslaving throughout time. The sooner people realize it’s a sham (luckily it’s declining more and more everyday) the better.

One last word...I don’t hate you, I wouldn’t do anything to F with you, and I’m a pretty fun dude to hang out with. I also don’t think you individually would do anything bad. I just think the shit you believe is crazy and that on a macro scale it’s a big net negative on humanity.

Last edited:
I’d reply that a weapon has legitimate uses. You could hunt or defend yourself; doesn’t have to be murder.

There’s literally nothing positive that you can’t already do without it, so it doesn’t serve a purpose, per se. You can’t tell me that spirituality serves a necessary function of feeding the homeless, or clothing the needy, or any other altruistic thing. If you open your eyes and mind you’d see that all of that stuff can be done just simply by itself. And people who don’t believe in ghost stories do great things all the time. You might not take that into account since you think non believers are heathens, but it’s true.

Look man, myths and spirituality happened because early humans didn’t have an understanding of the natural world and wanted to know why they were alive. So they dreamt shit up and passed on down the line as fairy tales. The only thing that distinguishes the early ones from the modern ones like Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc., is the level of complexity. It’s Cat In The Hat vs. Moby Dick. They’re both total bullshit fiction, but one sounds more convincing because it’s more complicated.

Then religion came along created by people to do two things...1) comfort people who are so feeble-minded that they can come to grips with the possibility of no “afterlife,” the idea that when you croak the lights just go out and that’s it, and 2) to control people.

What better way for kings and priests to control the illiterate peasantry than to tell them scary ghost stories about how the big dude made them all, he’s watching, and if you don’t follow the goofy instruction manual, depending on which “religiaflavor” you eat that you’re going to either burn up for eternity or not get an afterlife?

That’s it, man. Control, and a drug so you don’t have to face the fact that at some point you’re gonna die and everything will just shut off and go dark like you were never there. I assume you’re a jesus guy, maybe I’m wrong, but did you ever ask yourself why you believe that horse pucky? Say what you want, but you and I both know it’s because either A. you got convinced by some evangelist that you needed to join their cult lest you lose your soul, or B. the last 10 generations of your family told each successive one that they had to go to church. Guess what...the same thing would have happened had you been born in Syria or India or Israel or the US. The only thing different would be the particular ghost story depending on where you live.

You wanna help someone? Just do it then. You don’t need some fake thing that you know deep down is just a made up story from a thousand years ago. If someone told you they thought hobgoblins were a real thing and that they had a conversation with one you would call the looney bin and you wouldn’t let them near your kids. But if somebody told you they were at home last night and had a personal talk with Jesus and it changed the direction of his life, and he felt the power come over him , you’d think, “Wow! What an amazing experience! That pastor is someone I’d leave my kids alone with and let him help guide their lives down the right path!” You see how goddamn dumb that is? I don’t know about you, but I’m sticking with unicorns and fairies because I’m pretty sure those aren’t gonna rape a kid or cut someone’s head off because they forgot to read the book.

The amount of good this shit has done building HFH houses or giving shoes to kids in Zimbabwe is waaaaaaaaaay offset by all the killing and torturing and enslaving throughout time. The sooner people realize it’s a sham (luckily it’s declining more and more everyday) the better.

One last word...I don’t hate you, I wouldn’t do anything to F with you, and I’m a pretty fun dude to hang out with. I also don’t think you individually would do anything bad. I just think the shit you believe is crazy and that on a macro scale it’s a big net negative on humanity.

Interesting viewpoint. I just kept reading and reading and reading.

IMO, religion and spirituality are drastically two different things. I view myself as being more spiritual. Religion is for the churches and all that bullshit. Religion can be obstructive, IMO.

I've often wondered how many people "believe" because, well, just in in case!

Inside are they really convinced or are they "believing" just to cover their butts in case it ends up being true. Always been a thought of mine.

Look man, myths and spirituality happened because early humans didn’t have an understanding of the natural world and wanted to know why they were alive. So they dreamt shit up and passed on down the line as fairy tales. The only thing that distinguishes the early ones from the modern ones like Islam, Christianity, Judaism, etc., is the level of complexity. It’s Cat In The Hat vs. Moby Dick. They’re both total bullshit fiction, but one sounds more convincing because it’s more complicated.

Then religion came along created by people to do two things...1) comfort people who are so feeble-minded that they can come to grips with the possibility of no “afterlife,” the idea that when you croak the lights just go out and that’s it, and 2) to control people.

What better way for kings and priests to control the illiterate peasantry than to tell them scary ghost stories about how the big dude made them all, he’s watching, and if you don’t follow the goofy instruction manual, depending on which “religiaflavor” you eat that you’re going to either burn up for eternity or not get an afterlife?

You wanna help someone? Just do it then. You don’t need some fake thing that you know deep down is just a made up story from a thousand years ago. If someone told you they thought hobgoblins were a real thing and that they had a conversation with one you would call the looney bin and you wouldn’t let them near your kids. But if somebody told you they were at home last night and had a personal talk with Jesus and it changed the direction of his life, and he felt the power come over him , you’d think, “Wow! What an amazing experience! That pastor is someone I’d leave my kids alone with and let him help guide their lives down the right path!” You see how goddamn dumb that is? I don’t know about you, but I’m sticking with unicorns and fairies because I’m pretty sure those aren’t gonna rape a kid or cut someone’s head off because they forgot to read the book.

The amount of good this shit has done building HFH houses or giving shoes to kids in Zimbabwe is waaaaaaaaaay offset by all the killing and torturing and enslaving throughout time. The sooner people realize it’s a sham (luckily it’s declining more and more everyday) the better.

I respect your opinions, but religion is not and was not just about comfort and control. Humans are incredibly tribal beings. In an era before the propagation of laws, easy transportation and organized government, religion was absolutely crucial in defining tribal boundaries for resource sharing and defense. Go outside tonight and think about how horrible it must have been to be an immigrant from Germany or Scandinavia who moved to Iowa in 1850 when it was nothing but raw land. The churches were the primary safety net those people had and even today the churches are incredibly divided along the lines of our tribes from the Old World.

My parents quit going to church in 1988 and never went back. I went back around the time my son was born and still go. My wife grew up in a militantly atheist house and she is all in on church, way more than me. I'll raise my son in church. There is a level of common culture and deep traditions in Western Civilization that arise from church that I think are worth preserving.

Have evil men co-opted religious power in history and done horrible things? Absolutely. But religion has acted as a major buffer against massive degrees of inconceivable power that have arisen as a result of the industrial and technological revolutions we have experienced in the past 200 years.

I respect your opinions, but religion is not and was not just about comfort and control. Humans are incredibly tribal beings. In an era before the propagation of laws, easy transportation and organized government, religion was absolutely crucial in defining tribal boundaries for resource sharing and defense. Go outside tonight and think about how horrible it must have been to be an immigrant from Germany or Scandinavia who moved to Iowa in 1850 when it was nothing but raw land. The churches were the primary safety net those people had and even today the churches are incredibly divided along the lines of our tribes from the Old World.

My parents quit going to church in 1988 and never went back. I went back around the time my son was born and still go. My wife grew up in a militantly atheist house and she is all in on church, way more than me. I'll raise my son in church. There is a level of common culture and deep traditions in Western Civilization that arise from church that I think are worth preserving.

Have evil men co-opted religious power in history and done horrible things? Absolutely. But religion has acted as a major buffer against massive degrees of inconceivable power that have arisen as a result of the industrial and technological revolutions we have experienced in the past 200 years.

Well said.
My whole thing is that there are questions that can't be answered. I've looked back through history and I have looked at several beliefs, and while some things can be explained others can not. There are things in the past that the smartest minds in the world cannot explain. However the smartest people of all time say in one way or another that they believe there is a God. The interpretation of what they mean by God is debatable.
I simply go back to......do you honestly believe that humans are the most advanced in all of everything? Because I don't.

The University of Georgia wanted to rent a helicopter and land it at the 50 yrd line at his high school stadium. Hogan's school gave a big "no" to that. Baylor is being relentless in trying to change his mind.
giphy.gif

Georgia is going to fall to pieces once Kirby has to rely on his own recruits. If Georgia was really trying to land a helicopter to woo this kid and lost him to Iowa, they are in trouble. They have a decent squad, but they aren't anywhere near the best of the SEC like they were the past few years and when Fromm leaves, they are toast at QB because Fields left to go to OSU. The SEC east is utter trash, though, so maybe they can pull a Wisconsin and continue to be the tallest midget and ride on the prestige of the powerhouse teams in the West and Florida.

I assume that you and all the other non-religious people on here gladly work on Christmas. I mean, it would be pretty hypocritical of you take a pay from your employer on a religious holiday.
My place is shut down that whole week.

But if you want to talk hypocrisy you better burn all those clothes you own that were made by some 13 year old girl in a Chinese sweatshop working 12 hour days with no OSHA, unless of course you’d let your own mother or daughter do that work? And eating utensils, and shoes, and those cheesy fuckin decorations your yuppie wife likes to buy at Michaels. All made by kids in dirty clothes freezing their asses off in factories working hours that you wouldn’t be able to sustain for a week.

I’ve been to Hangzhou and Ningbo three times in the last 8 years to do process control checks for my employer, and if you think I’m kidding about how your house full of Chinese shit got made you’re wrong.

Don’t go gettin all wild throwing stones in your glass house there, Kojack. All it does is show your level of dumb. Best to keep that under your hat unless you want to expose yourself.

The only thing worse than a hypocrite is someone too stupid to realize he is one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts