Replace Back in Black with....

I guess I am over ruled here, but in the probably 80+ Iowa football games I have been to in the past (almost) three decades, I can't remember once getting pumped up by Back in Black. And on a personal note, I don't remember being pumped up by that song period. It is certainly not one of AC/DC's best.

With all due respect IFG, it's official. You are not normal.

With all due respect IFG, it's official. You are not normal.

I guess you're right. I just looked it up, and Back in Black is the 2nd highest selling album of all time? That album sucks! Shook Me all Night Long? Hells Bells? R&R Aint Noise Pollution? That minimalist garbage was the worst stuff AC/DC put out there! The band really went off a cliff after Bon Scott died. Worry you not, for the solace of being right more than makes up for the isolation of being abnormal.

I guess I am over ruled here, but in the probably 80+ Iowa football games I have been to in the past (almost) three decades, I can't remember once getting pumped up by Back in Black. And on a personal note, I don't remember being pumped up by that song period. It is certainly not one of AC/DC's best.

You know, I actually agree with you on the entire pumped thing. I get excited because it means the players are heading out to the field and the game's about to begin, but I personally get fired up 100x more when Enter Sandman comes on.

My previous posts in response to yours were more to show that Back in Black is indeed heard (for some 3 minutes, actually) and stadium does start rocking. But if you asked people, I'd think it was less about the music and more about the anticipation, as the beginning of the game is just moments away. But, that's just me.

I guess you're right. I just looked it up, and Back in Black is the 2nd highest selling album of all time? That album sucks! Shook Me all Night Long? Hells Bells? R&R Aint Noise Pollution? That minimalist garbage was the worst stuff AC/DC put out there! The band really went off a cliff after Bon Scott died. Worry you not, for the solace of being right more than makes up for the isolation of being abnormal.

youre joking right?
that album is a rock staple piece, im guessing youre not a musician.

not saying im an ac/dc fan. but that album is rock n roll

youre joking right?
that album is a rock staple piece, im guessing youre not a musician.

not saying im an ac/dc fan. but that album is rock n roll

I'm not joking, it is a rock staple, and I am a musician.

That album is not rock n' roll, it is the epitome of a great band losing their heart and watering down rock n' roll. It is heavy metal for the masses, three power cords, plenty of head banging, and no soul.

I would still keep Back in Black for the opening. Maybe put Black and Yellow at the end of Third Quarter to get the student section pumped up.

Going to need a ruling on this one...but aren't you using the term 'girl' a bit loosely here?

Since when did Back in Black become a sacred part of the game day experience? In fact, how does one even hear the music from the PA system in Kinnick at all? You have the crowd cheering and the marching band blaring, how do you even register anything else? Either you guys have nosebleed seats, or your Kinnick experience is warped.

(BTW, did anyone register the OP as saying "Black and Yellow wiz"?)

Have you been to a game? Out of all the games I have been to, I have never had a problem hearing it.

Also, Black and Yellow is a good song, but I don't think it has a great beat to it like Back in Black does.

I would never want to replace Back in Black.

I think it would be cool if the beginning of Thunderstruck was played before it though. 70,000 people going..."Ah ah ah ah ah ah...THUNDER! Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah THUNDER!"

Have you been to a game? Out of all the games I have been to, I have never had a problem hearing it.

Also, Black and Yellow is a good song, but I don't think it has a great beat to it like Back in Black does.

This too. The opening chords of Back in Black are at a perfect tempo for the team walking down the tunnel. It's right on with a typical athlete "strut".

I might be mistaken, but Black and Yellow is about a tricked out Camero last that I heard. IMO not a great song to be played as the team walks on the field. Plus Back in Black fits Iowa perfectly...

Back in Black = Old school classic
Iowa Football = Old school classic.

Leave the topical flashy crap to the teams that need it for attention.

Yellow is not a very befitting color when you're preparing to use all your will and might to pummel other people. Gold is much better (thankfully we are not the 'black and yellow'), but the real reason Iowa is IOWA is because of the bad#@@ color BLACK. Back in Black fits that best for now. IT does fire up the crowd (as would a small handful of other classic rock/metal songs that fit our image), but why mess with it. Also, BiB is mildly associated by football junkies in other parts of the country who are familiar with Iowa football. In fact a friend from FL who is a Penn St fan now despises that song because of the obvious connotations.

Shorten up the time the team is standing on the field waiting to enter, or play some great highlight videos on jumbotron, otherwise it just seems we are all waiting for the song to get over (like a drum solo that has gone on too long).

BUT....
If it ain't broke....

I might be mistaken, but Black and Yellow is about a tricked out Camero last that I heard. IMO not a great song to be played as the team walks on the field. Plus Back in Black fits Iowa perfectly...

And what, prey-tell, is Back in Black about.

(Want a hint? The lyrics are jibberish! Bon Scott had to drop the world's largest zombie face-palm for that song)

I'm convinced...

If Iowa's ever going to get back to the Rose Bowl, we need new player intro music...and here it is...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c56vEgA4fjU]YouTube - Poison Every Rose Has Its Thorn (video oficial)[/ame]

I wish I hadn't quit smoking...cellphone light can't compare to a Bic...sway with me HawkeyeNation...sway with me...

Everyyyy rose has its thorn....just like every night has its dawn...

replace back in black? what is this? dumbest thread i've read in a while.

farmgirl, i used to think you got a bad rap for things here, but i now see that you deserve a lot of the hell you catch. back in black is one of the best and most recognized rock songs of all time. if you cant' hear it when its played in kinnick, maybe you need to get new seats or actually come inside.

as for enter sandman firing people up more, of course it does in this case. back in black is the anticipation song, enter sandman is what signifies GO TIME. of course that's more energy building

And what, prey-tell, is Back in Black about.

(Want a hint? The lyrics are jibberish! Bon Scott had to drop the world's largest zombie face-palm for that song)

Farmgirl actually is right on this account. It is kind of jibberish.

It's also a song meant for celebration and a tribute song. Seems about right for Kinnick, wouldn't you say?

replace back in black? what is this? dumbest thread i've read in a while.

farmgirl, i used to think you got a bad rap for things here, but i now see that you deserve a lot of the hell you catch. back in black is one of the best and most recognized rock songs of all time. if you cant' hear it when its played in kinnick, maybe you need to get new seats or actually come inside.

as for enter sandman firing people up more, of course it does in this case. back in black is the anticipation song, enter sandman is what signifies GO TIME. of course that's more energy building

Back in Black is one of the best rock songs of all time for people who think Applebee's is the greatest restaurant of all time.

I guess the only song I remember pumping me up for a game is, you know, On Iowa.

... a cleaned up remix of Black and Yellow by Wiz Khalifa. Imagine the student section bouncing along and chanting Black and Yellow over and over.

This will probably happen the same year they paint the water tower.

Amazon.com: black and yellow wiz khalifa: MP3 Downloads

I don't think its a good idea. There is a lot of tradition around Black and Black. But if it were be changed than under no circumstances should it be that jungle rap noise. Rap isn't even music ..... its noise with a beat so monkeys can bounce to it and so gang members can talk about how they did something illegal.

Latest posts