Replace Back in Black with....

Songs do get people pumped up and Back in Black is perfect!

Assuming your premise is correct, then your conclusion is flawed. In fact, a recent study conclusively proved that songs with higher tempos result in a greater dispersal of adrenaline and epinephrine into the blood stream, when would result in physical symptoms that would look like excitement.

Back in Black has a relatively low tempo. In the interests of nerding it up, I synced bib with my metronome, and it registers a measly 85 BPM, which puts it firmly in the low end of the "Andante" bar.

To put it in perspective, the song "Relax", by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, measures in at 114 BPM (25% faster). So in a perfect metaphor to tie up this ridiculous debate, a song named "Relax" is a better pump-up song than that played out fossil.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ7x_Op-jMY]Friday Night Lights - Coming Out of the Tunnel - YouTube[/ame]

we got your mojo, come and get it

Kids call it the "Hawkeye Song" because that's what they play right before they come out of the tunnel before every game, there's nothing inherent to the song that relates to Iowa except for the "black" aspect of it. To me it's "They play this song because it's got the word 'black' in it and it's fairly popular". If you played a Kid Rock song before every game eventually kids would call that song the "Hawkeye Song", and eventually you would associate a new song with Iowa football as well. It's just conditioning. Changing the status quo isn't always a bad thing, just look at the new Cy-Hawk trophy (joking...).

Would Black and Yellow be a good replacement? Probably not the best, but I'm sure a song could be found that would pump up the crowd just as much as AC/DC does, even a rap song. I also chuckled at all of the "kids and their rap music/music just ain't the same today" comments, could it get any more cliche? If the program changed the song and didn't give in to the few complaints they would get, people would get over it after a season at most, people get over stuff quicker than they like to think. Are you going to stop going to games because you don't like the song? Start missing the intro? Doubt it.

This whole thread is in the land of hypotheticals and theory, nothing to get worked up about, your precious song won't be touched.

Gimme a break, Back in Black is an overused song too. In fact, it has such cultural ubiquity, that some people here think that it is synonymous with masculinity.

Back in Black is the song that guys missing teeth sing at karaoke. Back in Black is the song that brides who wear cowboy boots play at their wedding. Back in Black is what is played at the funeral of a guy who drowned noodling.

It is low culture. It is the death of creativity and imagination. It is the greatest horror facing America today, and we must do anything and everything to stop it!

I didn't realize guys with missing teeth and girls who wear cowboy boots at their weddings were below you in culture. Please, by all means, give us a list of everything and everyone who is "below" you in culture. The last thing I want to do is offend you. You seem to know more than anybody else on here. Is there a link where I can donate large sums of money to getting you elected as Hawkeye Nation's Ambassador to the UN or the like??? When exactly did creativity die? Was it right after the release of Back In Black??? Or did it happen more recently?? Yeah,,,,,,,I'll go all in with recently..............Check please Ms. Gaga, Ms/Mr. Bieber, etc etc etc.....

That's the whole point isn't it? The crowd would be into it me thinks!

When making a suggestion, close your eyes and see the crowd reaction in your mind's eye. Some songs just elicit a reaction ... some songs foster participation ... the best choices for a sports venue do both.

I agree with what you're saying! I did "picture" it. Would be interesting....

Assuming your premise is correct, then your conclusion is flawed. In fact, a recent study conclusively proved that songs with higher tempos result in a greater dispersal of adrenaline and epinephrine into the blood stream, when would result in physical symptoms that would look like excitement.

Back in Black has a relatively low tempo. In the interests of nerding it up, I synced bib with my metronome, and it registers a measly 85 BPM, which puts it firmly in the low end of the "Andante" bar.

To put it in perspective, the song "Relax", by Frankie Goes to Hollywood, measures in at 114 BPM (25% faster). So in a perfect metaphor to tie up this ridiculous debate, a song named "Relax" is a better pump-up song than that played out fossil.

Did this study you refer to apply these songs in conjunction with sporting-events or related venues/stimuli? Or did they simply place test sunjects in a room, blare some songs with different tempos, and record what they found? I'm curious, did "Relax" result in more ng/L than Back in Black?

Did this study you refer to apply these songs in conjunction with sporting-events or related venues/stimuli? Or did they simply place test sunjects in a room, blare some songs with different tempos, and record what they found? I'm curious, did "Relax" result in more ng/L than Back in Black?

Neither Back in Black nor Relax were applied in the study as far as I know. I only picked Relax arbitrarily because I was looking at my iTunes playlist and was amused by the potential (and eventually real) irony after I extrapolated the results.

Latest posts