That crown underneath them clouds can't get close to you
And my car look unapproachable
Super clean but it's super mean

She wanna **** with them cats, smoke weed, count stacks
Get fly, take trips and that's that, real rap
I let her get high, she want and she feel that
Convertible drop fill, '87 and the top peel back

Sounds like a winner to me.

tm, I would say that the issue is not so much that rap has nothing to say, but rather, the rap that pop-music stations play, and hence we get exposed to, has nothing to say. The song under discussion being a great example. As near as I can decipher, it is about how rich the artist is, how lavishly he spends his money, the number of "hos" with whom he copulates, and his fancy car. There is a lot of thoughtful rap out there, it just does not get radio play on any popular station.

edit: I am sure if you pulled out a snippet of "Back in Black" lyrics you could find something with a similar lack of applicability.

I can agree with this. Hell, Eminem used to have more crap like what's out there now. He puts out real stuff now, but since he was already mainstream it gets exposure. Which is good. It's good to know that there are still people out there who can actually tell a story with their words.

I can agree with this. Hell, Eminem used to have more crap like what's out there now. He puts out real stuff now, but since he was already mainstream it gets exposure. Which is good. It's good to know that there are still people out there who can actually tell a story with their words.

Glad to see Eminem passes your street cred requirements.

Glad to see Eminem passes your street cred requirements.

Glad to see you're still an a** who thinks that talking about getting high, bangin hos, and all the other crap that other rappers talk about is cool. Seriously, that stuff is mindless.

Glad to see you're still an a** who thinks that talking about getting high, bangin hos, and all the other crap that other rappers talk about is cool. Seriously, that stuff is mindless.

This is really a good situation because I'm fairly confident you're not part of their target audience.

Back in the back
Of a Cadillac
Number one with a bullet, I'm a power pack
Yes, I'm in a bang
With a gang
They've got to catch me if they want me to hang
Cause I'm back on the track
And I'm leadin' the pack
Nobody's gonna get me on another rap

More lyrics: Ac Dc Lyrics

As far as I can tell, this song is about being a gang leader.

I don't like rap, and I don't view Back in Black as a sacred cow, but there are a lot of stupid things being said by both sides.

Black and Yellow is very much a song that will be out of rotation in a few months, and it is a song that serves a minority of the crowd, like it or not, Iowa's crowd is much older than the average Black and Yellow fan.

If Iowa wanted a change, I would suggest the Black Keys, they are a dirty blues rock band, that has collaborated with rappers and could serve the younger and older members of the audience.

But I don't think a change is needed or imminent.

Black Keys
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luwp5iZD8wQ]YouTube - The Black Keys- thickfreakness (Live TV)[/ame]

Blakroc (Black Keys side rap thingy)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vtWNDI_EOI]YouTube - BlakRoc: Ain't Nothing Like You (Hoochie Coo) Ft. Mos Def and Jim Jones[/ame]

You got me, I do enjoy banging them hoes.

Since you're an Eminem fan I'm going to assume you enjoy murdering your baby momma?

You got me, I do enjoy banging them hoes.

Since you're an Eminem fan I'm going to assume you enjoy murdering your baby momma?

I said talking about it, not doing it. And like I said, I'm a big fan of his newer stuff (after he started going away from "Slim Shady"). Mockingbird, When I'm Gone, etc. is the kind of material from him that I'm a fan of.

I said talking about it, not doing it. And like I said, I'm a big fan of his newer stuff (after he started going away from "Slim Shady"). Mockingbird, When I'm Gone, etc. is the kind of material from him that I'm a fan of.

Yeah I was refering to his newer stuff too. Like "Love the Way You Lie" and "25 to Life", both of which he talks about murdering his baby momma/gf.

Yeah I was refering to his newer stuff too. Like "Love the Way You Lie" and "25 to Life", both of which he talks about murdering his baby momma/gf.

Not everything he does is great. But he puts out more stuff that has meaning than any other rapper out there right now. I don't like 25 to Life, and Love the Way You Lie is overrated, IMO (it's not even on my iPod, even while it was the most popular piece from his latest work).

Back in the back
Of a Cadillac
Number one with a bullet, I'm a power pack
Yes, I'm in a bang
With a gang
They've got to catch me if they want me to hang
Cause I'm back on the track
And I'm leadin' the pack
Nobody's gonna get me on another rap

More lyrics: Ac Dc Lyrics

As far as I can tell, this song is about being a gang leader.
I think gang violence is more relevant to football than drugs, hoes, bling, and getting krunk. I guess if you think about it there are a lot of similarities in either case; this is especially evident after this past season (not so much the bling, but certainly the drugs and hoes).

I have always found rap songs about gang-violence, running drugs, and living the "thug life" compelling, in much the same way I find westerns compelling. Hard men living a hard life, getting by the best they can, even though the means may not always be pretty or socially acceptable. The characters can at times be distasteful, but they are almost always interesting.

Meanwhile, singing about spending money frivolously, partying, and promiscuity just seems cartoonish. I realize that these things have been elevated to the level of status-symbols within some circles. I guess, ultimately, that is probably a better status symbol than one's willingness to shoot another over a turf-war; it does not make for good story-telling or good theater, however.

LOL! You seem to NOT understand "Love the Way you Lie" that well. The song is a narrative which is clearly trying to illustrate the irony and insanity of the logic of people in violent relationships. You're seemingly interpreting the song as though he's advocating that sort of behavior (and, BTW, he's clearly not).

There are many types of musicians out there and the "artistry" of many is how they provide society with a reflection of itself ... and sometimes that reflection shows us what we don't want to see.

Hahahaha! What are you, like 175 years old?

No. I was in high-school when rap first came out. I even listened to it and bought a couple cassettes of rap music. I remember doing the gay little dances and the ebonics type speech to grand sound cool but I joined the service and had to grow up quickly. Now I look at those days in embarrassment and pray that rap will go away some day soon.

No. I was in high-school when rap first came out. I even listened to it and bought a couple cassettes of rap music. I remember doing the gay little dances and the ebonics type speech to grand sound cool but I joined the service and had to grow up quickly. Now I look at those days in embarrassment and pray that rap will go away some day soon.

grandpa_simpson_yelling_at_cloud_001.jpg

Demotivational-pictures-get_Off_My_Lawn.jpg

sleeping-for-mccain.jpg

Latest posts