Reminder: Set your DVR for 8:00 pm on ESPNU to see Gessell and Woodbury

I can't remember the kids name but Wisconsin is getting a kid that reminds me a lot of White. He can shoot it from outside and take it to the rim. Robinson is good but 8 to 10 of his points came from easy baskets via Gesell. I think Robinson ended up with like 18 points. His missed four free throws at the end of the game probably cost the North the game. Woodbury also missed two free throws the cost the North the game near the end of the game. Gesell last second shot barely missed as it hit the rim softly twice before rolling off. Like it was said by another poster I bet he makes that shot 9 out of 10 times.

Last edited:
I can't remember the kids name but Wisconsin is getting a kid that reminds me a lot of White. He can shoot it from outside and take it to the rim. Robinson is good but 8 to 10 of his points came from easy baskets via Gesell. I think Robinson ended up with like 18 points. His missed four free throws at the end of the game probably cost the North the game. Woodbury also missed two free throws the cost the North the game near the end of the game. Gesell last second shot barely missed as it hit the rim softly twice before rolling off. Like it was said by another poster I bet he makes that shot 9 out of 10 times.

sam dekker he's going to be a stud at Wisconsin

Does anybody have Gesell's and Woodbury's stats? I tried a Google search, but couldn't find anything.

Very pleased with what I saw from the Iowa guys. No doubt both will be starting.

Gessell has good handles and vision, and can shoot. Woodbury looked weak the first half but by the second half he looked to be more than comfortable going against the wider bodies of the south. He got good position on both ends and did not get displaced. He is stronger than Myers Lenord at the same time, probably stronger than him right now actually.

I though Decker going to Wisky was the most impressive guy in the game though. Man he would be so much better in Iowas running system than in Wisky stalling game.

Had the north kept Woody Gessell, Robinson and Decker in most of the game they would have won by double digits.

Dekker will fit well into Bo's system. He can shoot it,post up,and handle it like all their guys. Yes, he would be a great fit in Frans system also tho. Gonna be a stud.

I liked all the Big Ten recruits. Hollowell looked very smooth...wish we had a wing like him coming. Big Dog jr. also. Johnson of PU looked a lot like his brother Terone who is at PU. Kaminski of MSU looked like Goran Suton jr....going be solid. Perea of IU is an athlete who needs polish. I saw McGary in the East-West game....yikes...he is a force,Michigan is gonna be scary good.

I liked our guys a lot. No way is Meyer ahead of Woody. Woody is 4 inches taller,and I am impressed by his body...he will add muscle but he is no geek. He is stronger than Zeller or leonard at the same stage...and will get stronger. Good hands,good passer, good touch around the hoop,with his heighth, that is a great start.

Gesell was impressive. Just his moxie,and savvy was there to see. He sensed trouble with traps and beat them. He made some pretty passes. He is a better passer than I had even hoped. I think his shooting stroke will be fine,but these all star deals in huge empty arenas are tough on shooters.
I think Robert Smith knew the hawks were money players and had them in at winning time. Too bad Mike missed the winning shot,but he will make many of those.

Gesell already pushes the ball better than any player we currently have on the roster. That kid is damn quick. Woodbury, while he does need some strength in the lower body, showed that he has great feet, soft hands, runs the floor very well and can score over either shoulder. Both will contribute a lot.

Last edited:
To echo what others have said, Gessell impressed me with his handles, sneaky quickness and abilityto see the floor. His court vision, especially in transition, will reward guys like White who run the floor. After seeing the other talent the big ten is getting, I hope Ingram and Clemmons are as athletic as promised. If not, we are going to struggle defensively.

Woodbury never really got into a flow and the game wasn't conducive to guys getting good post looks. I liked his hustle, ability to run the floor and recognition of double teams to find the open guy. He really needs to work on his upper and lower body strength as he has to be able to hold position against more athletic guys or they will rebound over him.

Got a chance to see the whole game last night. I think Mike Gesell will be one of the BEST point guards we've ever had. He will be right up there with BJ, Horner, Woolridge and Oliver. Great vision, great court sense and just a well rounded player. Woody had a sneaky 11 points and 11 boards and spent half the game scrapping for loose balls. He's going to be a good one as well.
Sam Dekker is going to be one of the best players the Badgers have ever had. Very athletic and very smooth. Impressive. Glenn Robinson III got some SICK assists from Gesell. SICK.
All in all, I was quite impressed with the Iowa boys.

Woodbury obviously will benefit from some added strength, but he did have a double double against some of the best high school talent in the nation.

Jhhawk: I didn't say Meyer was ahead of Woody, but that he would be playing above him. Also, not sure about the 4 inches.

If you watch film on Meyer, you will see he has longer arm and much more lift than Woody right now. But, I know that is just right now. Everything you see in Woody's movement makes you believe he can add some bounce.

The comparisons with other Iowa PGs and MG are interesting, as I see them all really unique from each other and MG as well. Watching him make effortless 3/4 length outlet passes and then snapping off 30 ft bounce passes makes me think, I don't remember that at Iowa. Also like his ability to knock down the three. He is going to be hard to guard when all is said and done.

Personally I think Gessell is the best pg we've had since BJ. He is a much better shooter the Dean O or Horner. Horner took a zillion shots to get his numbers. Mike G's passing , handles, court sense was amazing last night. He got out of every trap they put on him. He seems to have great athleticism and control. He is going to make a huge difference this upcoming year.

Woodbury is nowhere near as strong as Meyer right now, just to get that out of the way.

I would like to see Woodbury get better at post defense. He has pretty good position most of the time but he ruins it by reaching. He gets guys to fade away and fall away for shots but bails them out by coming down on them. He won't play 10 min a game in the B10 if he continues that. But I'm sure that is something they will stress with him.

All I know is I hope the boys are in shape next year and have their head on a swivel because Gessell is about to take uptempo to another level. It isn't just his vision it is the zip he puts on the ball as some have mentioned. I can see him hitting a streaking White or Basabe for numerous dunks or Josh spotting up for 3's in transition.

don't forget Marble he had a pretty good high flying dunk over Sampson, it would be nice to see more of those, this team will be quicker and the possibility of pushing a avg of 80+ next year is very real. Iowa now has the size to compete, with some weight and conditioning Woodbury and White will be a very solid combo. add Marble as a shooter with Gesell a shooter and solid Passer this team is improved and light years ahead of the Lick year

I am not buying that ''Woody is nowhere near as strong as Meyers''...Woody outweighs him by 15 lbs. I think neither guy is Atlas-strong. They seem to have similar frames...average shoulders for big guys..and straight up and down builds.
Compare the shoulders of Meyers Leonard and Anthony Davis to Woody and Meyers...nowhere near the same growth potential in the shoulder/chest area.

I agree with those who compare KU's Withey with Woody...I think Woody can be that good,which is very promising. But he will need to gain a bit of explosion and athleticism,which is possible. I am pleased with Woody's overall strength considering
his 7' 1.25'' size. Usually guys that tall are rail thin. I think you can see Woody's dedication to training already,his work ethic. That bodes well. Love his competitiveness along with Mike. Anyone spot that huddle near the end when Woody half shouted something to Mike in the huddle and they fist-pumped? He wanted to win that game! Mike and Woody are used to winning at all levels,and that will be fun to watch at Iowa!

Woodbury is nowhere near as strong as Meyer right now, just to get that out of the way.

I would like to see Woodbury get better at post defense. He has pretty good position most of the time but he ruins it by reaching. He gets guys to fade away and fall away for shots but bails them out by coming down on them. He won't play 10 min a game in the B10 if he continues that. But I'm sure that is something they will stress with him.

maybe you have seen more video's of Meyer than the 2 brief clips that popped up on here, and Meyer is rail thin at 6'10 215 lbs
compare that to Woodbury at 7'1 and having two different reports of him being either 230 or 245 lbs, Woodbury needs to work on his strength no doubt, but the biggest area he needs to work on is becoming more physical down low, or more aggressive with his height.
Meyer is not stronger but he is a ballhandler and quicker, i compared him to Bullard but until he puts on more muscle weight he is more of a cross between Bullard and JR Koch, which is a very good thing
and Woodbury will defenitely play more than 10 minutes per game

Last edited:

Latest posts