Reminder: Set your DVR for 8:00 pm on ESPNU to see Gessell and Woodbury

Watched game...Gessell sees the whole floor and made countless assists (mostly to Glenn Robinson Jr. who is going to michigan) Some of his passes were half court, thread the needle type with a quick score being the result.

Woodbury had his moments, but will need to put on muscle to play in B1G. Good thing he's tall, cause the boy has weak springs. Would guess he has about a 12" vertical. Needs to get working in the weight room.

Woodbury needs muscle but he brings the energy and diving for loose balls is a plus
Gesell will start from day one.
Woodbury has all summer and fall to get stronger and add Muscle weight

gesell does look very quick with very good handles, and is looking to push the ball, i konw its an all-star game but his deffence doesnt look to be bad either

Last edited:
Woody showed strong basketball IQ. He does need to find some way to get more explosion.

As it is, Meyer will come in playing well over the top of Woody at this point.

Yeah Gessell was impressive...Woody needs some work...wouldn't be surprised to see Meyer start...I felt this way after watching him in Des Moines, and now this game.

alot of poor free throw shooters out there, i saw one shoot a ft that made Archie look like a 90% shooter the way he missed

Woody has a real good outlet passing touch, and i think where playing against shorter players he was not required to do a lot of jumping, as all he had to do was just reach.
i see a lot of rope jumping in his future, to develope his leg muscles to get some spring in them

i am watching it now no individual scoreing but right now Gesell's teanm is up 61-60 end of 3rd Quarter. a real close game thru out, sloppy play on both teams and some terrible FT shooting by both sides
what i like about Gesell he has the ball handling and passing down and a really solid stroke from 3, plays under control,
Woodbury needs strength but is active in going after loose balls on the floor Icount 3 times he has gone to the floor, not afraid of mixing it up inside, if Fran brings him along like he did White he will be a Solid player by BT season, this will be affected by how he developes over the summer and fall, he will not need a year to develope into a good player he is a good player now.

Gesell is going to be awesome to watch in the system. Every guy on the floor will get a few easy baskets a game just because he sees the floor so well in the open court. A very poor mans Kendall Marshall. Also, it was very nice seeing him play in a game where he had solid teammates versus the SSC squad.

Woodbury will play a lot right away because there aren't better options right now. I just hope people don't expect too much from him right away. Having a legit 7'0 fter will be amazing for the team D.

The other Big Ten prospects look pretty solid. If Burke comes back I think Michigan wins the Big Ten next season. Glenn Robinson III is the type of athlete that they'll need, and McGrary will give them a solid post presence.

Indiana will also be very good. Hollowell was as smooth in the open court as one can be. It is nice to see some of this athletic talent finally stay in the Big Ten.

not sure i like Robinson as the mvp , without Gesell threading the needle for some easy dunks, not sure he gets it and then misses 4 straight FT's down the stretch. what ilike about Gesell is his pass 1st mentality especially in a All Star Game, where ego's take over
and Robinson's team loses, Teammates Woodbury and Gesellwill be a very big help to Iowa this fall. Woodbury needs to work on FT shooting and getting stronger, nothing wrong with his ability to where he will need time to adjust,

Last edited:
Watched it from beginning to end. Both going to contribute big next year. One of the announcers said should give the MVP to Gessell, Woody, and Robinson. G-money is impressive, great vision and passing and can shoot. Pretty good handles and D. I like it...A LOT(dumb and dumber).

Mike G. missed the last shot that 9 times out of 10 he makes...would have been a nice way to end the game. Both players will make an impact next year, and when added to the other incoming players, only good things to come.

Michigan is getting a good one in Mr. Robinson...

I predict gesell will lead the big 10 in assists next year and will shatter the iowa record by the time he graduates. woodbury has alot of potential but needs to keep his arms up to use his height advantage. I think iowa will be running through alot of shoes next year.

I predict gesell will lead the big 10 in assists next year and will shatter the iowa record by the time he graduates. woodbury has alot of potential but needs to keep his arms up to use his height advantage. I think iowa will be running through alot of shoes next year.
I second this

I second this

Iowa will always have a guy near the top because they have so many more possessions than every other team besides Indiana. I agree that he will likely be up there though. Woodbury likes to get out and run which will pad the assist levels quite a bit.

The North should have won the game with a two or three point lead and the ball with under a minute to go but instead of just passing the ball around and running the clock some of the North players decided that trying to show off and score was more important than winning the game.

Gesell is an excellent passer and in that regard he will take the place of Cartwright. He has a nice three point shot and is a very unselfish player unlike some of the players on the North team. On one play his was wide open under the basket but instead of passing the ball to Gesell the North player thought it better to try to drive the basket against two defenders in which he turned the ball over. The North was down like 15 points before Woodbury and Gesell's defense and Gesell's passing brought them back and got them the lead by halftime. In the last few minutes of the game you could see how Woodbury picked his game up under the basket both on defense and offense but there were times during the game where he seemed to be loafing and reminded me of some of the times Basabe would do that. Over all I think both of them will be great additions to the team. I agree will a previous poster that said by the time conference time starts Gesell is going to be ready to play. Woodbury may need a little time to build up a little muscle to be able to stand up with the Rugbee style of play of Michigan State and Wisconsin. He has a real nice hook shot.

Latest posts