Reminder: Set your DVR for 8:00 pm on ESPNU to see Gessell and Woodbury

The comparisons with other Iowa PGs and MG are interesting, as I see them all really unique from each other and MG as well. Watching him make effortless 3/4 length outlet passes and then snapping off 30 ft bounce passes makes me think, I don't remember that at Iowa. Also like his ability to knock down the three. He is going to be hard to guard when all is said and done.

I didn't see the game but the only PG I can remember that could pass like that was Woolridge. He could make some killer one hand bounce passes from around the half court line.

this was the comment that started this. and the poster

It's not a fair comparison because of the age, but there is no question in my mind that Leonard is stronger than Woodbury. I watched him get position inside against Iowa and absolutely dominate the paint. Woodbury isn't gonna do that right now.

My thought is if you have a life, you won't spend it under a rock. I guess that is how my and your lives are different.;)

I'm going to jump back in this thread and stick with my predicition that Woodbury averages 8 and 5 rbs. Point total could go higher if he improves his foul line shooting and Gesell will average around 8 and 4 assists.

Now that all the hens have gone to roost and are done pecking at each other....after watching last night's performance I am going to say we are officially back!!!! Love what I saw in our two future Hawkeyes.

I finally watched the North South game on my DVR today after work. I must stay the two Iowa recruits did well. I am not looking forward to seeing Dekker next year for the badgers.

I just really hope Iowa has someone in this game next year...really helps break up the long drought from end of season to PTL!

Fran needs to keep upping the quality or our talent,and with only one scholly next year, he needs to make it a real blue-chipper.

As an aside, what a great opportunity for Mike and Adam...rub shoulders at the Final Four with all the players and coaches, see all the hoopla, and dream about participating in the big event someday.

I'm going to jump back in this thread and stick with my predicition that Woodbury averages 8 and 5 rbs. Point total could go higher if he improves his foul line shooting and Gesell will average around 8 and 4 assists.
I have to agree with your assessment. Gesell will score if needed but he will for sure lead the action. When I saw him Arizona over the xmas holidays he played very, very good comp and he averaged 33pts a game. He does not showboat and is only interested in one thing, WINNING!!!

Woody will be steady and 8-10 pts and 5-7 rebs is a good range.

To echo what others have said, Gessell impressed me with his handles, sneaky quickness and abilityto see the floor. His court vision, especially in transition, will reward guys like White who run the floor. After seeing the other talent the big ten is getting, I hope Ingram and Clemmons are as athletic as promised. If not, we are going to struggle defensively.

Woodbury never really got into a flow and the game wasn't conducive to guys getting good post looks. I liked his hustle, ability to run the floor and recognition of double teams to find the open guy. He really needs to work on his upper and lower body strength as he has to be able to hold position against more athletic guys or they will rebound over him.

I thought he got good position and held it very well against much thicker players in the second half.

Jhhawk: I didn't say Meyer was ahead of Woody, but that he would be playing above him. Also, not sure about the 4 inches.

If you watch film on Meyer, you will see he has longer arm and much more lift than Woody right now. But, I know that is just right now. Everything you see in Woody's movement makes you believe he can add some bounce.

The comparisons with other Iowa PGs and MG are interesting, as I see them all really unique from each other and MG as well. Watching him make effortless 3/4 length outlet passes and then snapping off 30 ft bounce passes makes me think, I don't remember that at Iowa. Also like his ability to knock down the three. He is going to be hard to guard when all is said and done.

Some one compared him to Mike Bibby earlier and I think thats pretty good.

His passes up the court were great. That was probably Cartwrights best attribute and Mike looks even better at to go along with much better shooting and ball handling.

Personally I think Gessell is the best pg we've had since BJ. He is a much better shooter the Dean O or Horner. Horner took a zillion shots to get his numbers. Mike G's passing , handles, court sense was amazing last night. He got out of every trap they put on him. He seems to have great athleticism and control. He is going to make a huge difference this upcoming year.

Im going to assume you are just forgetting Andre Woolridge?

To predict someone, I dont care who it is, will be better than Woolridge is outrageous.

I am not buying that ''Woody is nowhere near as strong as Meyers''...Woody outweighs him by 15 lbs. I think neither guy is Atlas-strong. They seem to have similar frames...average shoulders for big guys..and straight up and down builds.
Compare the shoulders of Meyers Leonard and Anthony Davis to Woody and Meyers...nowhere near the same growth potential in the shoulder/chest area.

I agree with those who compare KU's Withey with Woody...I think Woody can be that good,which is very promising. But he will need to gain a bit of explosion and athleticism,which is possible. I am pleased with Woody's overall strength considering
his 7' 1.25'' size. Usually guys that tall are rail thin. I think you can see Woody's dedication to training already,his work ethic. That bodes well. Love his competitiveness along with Mike. Anyone spot that huddle near the end when Woody half shouted something to Mike in the huddle and they fist-pumped? He wanted to win that game! Mike and Woody are used to winning at all levels,and that will be fun to watch at Iowa!

Withy is a much better jumper but is really not much of an offensive player.

I think Woody will be a much better offensive player and hopefully as good of a rebounder but will almost certainly never be as good of a shot blocker.

I watched the game a second time this morning (note of disclosure: I'm addicted to Iowa hoops now!!). As much as I loved what I saw from Gessel, Woodbury was just as impressive upon further scrutiny.
I think one thing about Woodbury we find disappointing now is his lack of flash, especially when compared to the zip and bounce and Steve Nash feel of Gessel's game. However, as Hawk fans I think he will develop into a fan favorite BECAUSE. He isn't flashy. He's a worker. He boxes out. He seals in the post, and uses a feathery touch around the rim. The guy is going to give us a nastiness we have not had in 6+ years. LOVE IT!!
To continue my "I love Woodbury Rant," he played more than any player, had to play next to a ham sandwich post next to him (who couldnt reound or defend), had legitimate post moves, and a motor.

Agree, Woodbury was the best post player on the floor the second half.

Watching him for about the 3rd time I am very impressed with Gesell. In his high school games he seemed to be more of "scoring pg" and I was not sure what type of passer he was being more of a "pure pg" in terms of setting guys up. Well last night he was making some very impressive passes and pushing the heck out of the ball in the break.

He is really quick and showed it against athletic players in the game. He also had a great feel for the game in terms of not dribbling into double teams and keeping his dribble alive.

I have no idea about Clemmons but if he is actually better than Gesell he is one heck of a player.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them both on the court.

I remember when MSU would run Kalin Lucas and Corey Lucious on the floor together and it was non stop fast breaks all day.

Last edited:
It's not a fair comparison because of the age, but there is no question in my mind that Leonard is stronger than Woodbury. I watched him get position inside against Iowa and absolutely dominate the paint. Woodbury isn't gonna do that right now.

Everyone assumed you were talking Kyle Meyer, as leonards name is Meyers.

I don't think getting position against Iowas tiny front line is any great feat of strength.

Leonard might be a bit stronger now but Woody is much further ahead at the same age.

Latest posts