Reminder: Set your DVR for 8:00 pm on ESPNU to see Gessell and Woodbury

Gessell is a very good passer. I see him starting day 1.

Agreed. Will have his freshman inconsistencies but he will be the best option. Especially if goal is to get RDM to the 2 / 3 slot. I see no drop off in the backcourt from Cartwright leaving.

I would say, overall, Mike might be an upgrade over Cartwright, because he can shoot.

I love that these teams are wearing Red/White/Blue for an All-American game. I hate that the McD game sells out to the shoe companies. I'm not surprised, but I don't like it.

Woodbury needs to be tougher down low. He struggles to get defensive rebounds mainly because he can't elevate. Gessell-White combination is going to be deadly for 3 years. I also believe Basabe's game will improve with Gessell's driving and passing ability.

I would say, overall, Mike might be an upgrade over Cartwright, because he can shoot.

And because he takes care of the ball. And because he doesn't drive the ball all the way down to the block, pick up his dribble and eventually turn it over.

The team Gesell/Woodbury may have been called "the future of the BIG" aside the ND recruit every player will be playing against each other next season.
Get a good look to compare Iowa's best recruits to the other top BIG recruits.

Woodbury needs to be tougher down low. He struggles to get defensive rebounds mainly because he can't elevate. Gessell-White combination is going to be deadly for 3 years. I also believe Basabe's game will improve with Gessell's driving and passing ability.
I would agree he looked to be playing a little soft.

I would agree he looked to be playing a little soft.

I don't think he plays soft at all, actually. He just isn't strong enough yet so it looks like it. But he is getting rough down low with some of those guys, for sure. If he can build some muscle and mass it will certainly show in his game.

I really like the look of Gesell. I think he is going to be solid. Very smart and good with the ball. Great vision.

I don't think he plays soft at all, actually. He just isn't strong enough yet so it looks like it. But he is getting rough down low with some of those guys, for sure. If he can build some muscle and mass it will certainly show in his game.

I really like the look of Gesell. I think he is going to be solid. Very smart and good with the ball. Great vision.
Agree with every thing you said. But i think we also should consider it was an all star game and I dont think they were playing there hardest until the end of the game.

Watching the replay on ESPN3, and the announcers are really giving the Hawks some attention, going on and on about Woodbury and Gesell. Even called them the Iowa connection when they trapped someone on the sideline at half court, caused a turnover. Looked like Fran's trap worked to perfection.....

Also giving Fran a lot of talk, mentioning the returning Hawks as a good nucleus for the top 25 recruiting class incoming.....

Free advertising, certain to be noticed by the high school studs watching. We are on the trail and radar for certain.....

Woodbury looked good early, rebounding, blocking a shot, causing turnovers. Like Mike pushing the ball upcourt, missed a couple of outlet passes, but it is early. He looked good, composed and alert.....

This is very early in the game.....

:)

Last edited:
thx i am going to watch it, with some of the people on here talking about it sounds like Gesell and Woody are getting some love from the announcers.

Gesell is an outstanding point guard. I do believe he will start immediately. He moves the ball quickly and expertly, while seeing the entire floor. Starting to remind me of Bobby Hurley.....

Announcers have fallen in love with him.....

It's all good....

Latest posts