Reminder: Set your DVR for 8:00 pm on ESPNU to see Gessell and Woodbury

I watched the game a second time this morning (note of disclosure: I'm addicted to Iowa hoops now!!). As much as I loved what I saw from Gessel, Woodbury was just as impressive upon further scrutiny.
I think one thing about Woodbury we find disappointing now is his lack of flash, especially when compared to the zip and bounce and Steve Nash feel of Gessel's game. However, as Hawk fans I think he will develop into a fan favorite BECAUSE. He isn't flashy. He's a worker. He boxes out. He seals in the post, and uses a feathery touch around the rim. The guy is going to give us a nastiness we have not had in 6+ years. LOVE IT!!
To continue my "I love Woodbury Rant," he played more than any player, had to play next to a ham sandwich post next to him (who couldnt reound or defend), had legitimate post moves, and a motor.

I have to agree on Gesell. Not only is he a nice replacement for Cartwright. He's a total upgrade.

I have to agree on Gesell. Not only is he a nice replacement for Cartwright. He's a total upgrade.

Watching him for about the 3rd time I am very impressed with Gesell. In his high school games he seemed to be more of "scoring pg" and I was not sure what type of passer he was being more of a "pure pg" in terms of setting guys up. Well last night he was making some very impressive passes and pushing the heck out of the ball in the break.

He is really quick and showed it against athletic players in the game. He also had a great feel for the game in terms of not dribbling into double teams and keeping his dribble alive.

I have no idea about Clemmons but if he is actually better than Gesell he is one heck of a player.

maybe you have seen more video's of Meyer than the 2 brief clips that popped up on here, and Meyer is rail thin at 6'10 215 lbs
compare that to Woodbury at 7'1 and having two different reports of him being either 230 or 245 lbs, Woodbury needs to work on his strength no doubt, but the biggest area he needs to work on is becoming more physical down low, or more aggressive with his height.
Meyer is not stronger but he is a ballhandler and quicker, i compared him to Bullard but until he puts on more muscle weight he is more of a cross between Bullard and JR Koch, which is a very good thing
and Woodbury will defenitely play more than 10 minutes per game

Please stop talking out of your arse. You have absolutely no idea if Meyer is stronger than Woodbury. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nunca ( sadly all of those are needed as you have the reading comprehension skills of middle-of-the-class 2nd grader). Let me clue you in, herbjob; weight does not equal strength. Please find another hobby. Your takeover of this board has nearly ruined it.

I watched the game a second time this morning (note of disclosure: I'm addicted to Iowa hoops now!!). As much as I loved what I saw from Gessel, Woodbury was just as impressive upon further scrutiny.
I think one thing about Woodbury we find disappointing now is his lack of flash, especially when compared to the zip and bounce and Steve Nash feel of Gessel's game. However, as Hawk fans I think he will develop into a fan favorite BECAUSE. He isn't flashy. He's a worker. He boxes out. He seals in the post, and uses a feathery touch around the rim. The guy is going to give us a nastiness we have not had in 6+ years. LOVE IT!!
To continue my "I love Woodbury Rant," he played more than any player, had to play next to a ham sandwich post next to him (who couldnt reound or defend), had legitimate post moves, and a motor.

I agree. I kept hearing how he lacks explosiveness off the floor,and it made me wonder how the heck he won that MVP award at the prestigious NBA Camp. Now, I can see how he won it. Over a week's period, he probably was the most steady presence in the paint. When he was in there, the North won,and the South was not as effective in the paint.
He is not flashy or explosive but very fundamentally sound. Good footwork, good awareness,and high bb IQ. Staying on the ground is a good thing for a 7'1'' kid....keeps them on balance and out of foul trouble.

His HS coach said he had to chase him out of the gym,and you can see that in his play. His skills are solid,and footwork is good. Good passer,and good shooting touch. All the little things are addressed. Now, he just needs the normal maturation physically,and he will be a force for 4 years at Iowa...like Tyler Zeller at UNC,maybe.

maybe you have seen more video's of Meyer than the 2 brief clips that popped up on here, and Meyer is rail thin at 6'10 215 lbs
compare that to Woodbury at 7'1 and having two different reports of him being either 230 or 245 lbs, Woodbury needs to work on his strength no doubt, but the biggest area he needs to work on is becoming more physical down low, or more aggressive with his height.
Meyer is not stronger but he is a ballhandler and quicker, i compared him to Bullard but until he puts on more muscle weight he is more of a cross between Bullard and JR Koch, which is a very good thing
and Woodbury will defenitely play more than 10 minutes per game

Ummmm, don't those kind of go together? He tries to be physical, but doesn't have the strength needed which prevents him from being more physical down low.

Please stop talking out of your arse. You have absolutely no idea if Meyer is stronger than Woodbury. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nunca ( sadly all of those are needed as you have the reading comprehension skills of middle-of-the-class 2nd grader). Let me clue you in, herbjob; weight does not equal strength. Please find another hobby. Your takeover of this board has nearly ruined it.

Post of the day.

and what has given you the right or impression that Meyer is stronger than Woodbury, same as me zilch, none, nada' and yeah weight goes a long way towards strength, as that is not fat on Woodbury, Woodbury was the only player to get a dbl dbl yesyerday in 11 pts and 11 rebounds, Woodbury may not be the best leaper, but he gets the job done, and those stats came from the Gazzette,
so crawl back into your hole,

and what has given you the right or impression that Meyer is stronger than Woodbury, same as me zilch, none, nada' and yeah weight goes a long way towards strength, as that is not fat on Woodbury, Woodbury was the only player to get a dbl dbl yesyerday in 11 pts and 11 rebounds, Woodbury may not be the best leaper, but he gets the job done, and those stats came from the Gazzette,
so crawl back into your hole,

I never said he was; you're the jagoff spouting off that Meyer is "not stronger" than Woody w/o even a trace of info to back up your bs assertions. I've never seen someone owned in every post of every thread, yet come back for more. What does Woodbury's game have to do with the question at hand? Your incoherent rants have gone far past the point of entertainment. I only say this b/c it's true, but you're the biggest toolbox on this entire board. No one takes you seriously and everyone knows you're completely full of shiat. Do everyone a favor and find another hobby. You know jack about sports; especially Iowa athletics.

I am not buying that ''Woody is nowhere near as strong as Meyers''...Woody outweighs him by 15 lbs. I think neither guy is Atlas-strong. They seem to have similar frames...average shoulders for big guys..and straight up and down builds.
Compare the shoulders of Meyers Leonard and Anthony Davis to Woody and Meyers...nowhere near the same growth potential in the shoulder/chest area.

I agree with those who compare KU's Withey with Woody...I think Woody can be that good,which is very promising. But he will need to gain a bit of explosion and athleticism,which is possible. I am pleased with Woody's overall strength considering
his 7' 1.25'' size. Usually guys that tall are rail thin. I think you can see Woody's dedication to training already,his work ethic. That bodes well. Love his competitiveness along with Mike. Anyone spot that huddle near the end when Woody half shouted something to Mike in the huddle and they fist-pumped? He wanted to win that game! Mike and Woody are used to winning at all levels,and that will be fun to watch at Iowa!

I don't think he'll be as good of a shot-blocker at Withey but should be a better overall player.

I never said he was; you're the jagoff spouting off that Meyer is "not stronger" than Woody w/o even a trace of info to back up your bs assertions. I've never seen someone owned in every post of every thread, yet come back for more. What does Woodbury's game have to do with the question at hand? Your incoherent rants have gone far past the point of entertainment. I only say this b/c it's true, but you're the biggest toolbox on this entire board. No one takes you seriously and everyone knows you're completely full of shiat. Do everyone a favor and find another hobby. You know jack about sports; especially Iowa athletics.

just as you keep spouting off, about Meyer , lets face it you have absolute zero tolerance that 2 people disagree about how on player is stronger than another player, all you have done is try to put yourself into a discussion that you have no part in other than to rant nothing more. why don't you start a poll and see if people hate or like or even read my posts. but you are to scared to do so,you are like the tough guy internet poster, big talk no action.
and you show your true ignorance as the Topic line has Woodbury in it and people are discussing how Woodbury and Gesell looked while playing.
go play with yourself with a Icecube and tweezers.

Last edited:
just as you keep spouting off, about Meyer , lets face it you have absolute zero tolerance that 2 people disagree about how on player is stronger than another player, all you have done is try to put yourself into a discussion that you have no part in other than to rant nothing more. why don't you start a poll and see if people hate or like or even read my posts. but you are to scared to do so,you are like the tough guy internet poster, big talk no action.
and you show your true ignorance as the Topic line has Woodbury in it and people are discussing how Woodbury and Gesell looked while playing.
go play with yourself with a Icecube and tweezers.

WTF are you even talking about? I never said shiat about Meyer other than that you know shiat about Meyer. Why would I start a poll about people who hate you? I know you have the IQ of a houseplant, but even you're not that f'n dumb to not realize that you're a complete joke.

this where you tried to get into the conversation between me Jhawk and another poster, about the supposed strength of Meyer and Woodbury, by aiming your attack at me and only me, get a life and go crawl under a rock

Woodbury is nowhere near as strong as Meyer right now, just to get that out of the way.

I would like to see Woodbury get better at post defense. He has pretty good position most of the time but he ruins it by reaching. He gets guys to fade away and fall away for shots but bails them out by coming down on them. He won't play 10 min a game in the B10 if he continues that. But I'm sure that is something they will stress with him.

this was the comment that started this. and the poster

I am not buying that ''Woody is nowhere near as strong as Meyers''...Woody outweighs him by 15 lbs. I think neither guy is Atlas-strong. They seem to have similar frames...average shoulders for big guys..and straight up and down builds.
Compare the shoulders of Meyers Leonard and Anthony Davis to Woody and Meyers...nowhere near the same growth potential in the shoulder/chest area.

I agree with those who compare KU's Withey with Woody...I think Woody can be that good,which is very promising. But he will need to gain a bit of explosion and athleticism,which is possible. I am pleased with Woody's overall strength considering
his 7' 1.25'' size. Usually guys that tall are rail thin. I think you can see Woody's dedication to training already,his work ethic. That bodes well. Love his competitiveness along with Mike. Anyone spot that huddle near the end when Woody half shouted something to Mike in the huddle and they fist-pumped? He wanted to win that game! Mike and Woody are used to winning at all levels,and that will be fun to watch at Iowa!

and this was the original reply to that post and the poster who made it.
this proves you attacked me for no good reason other than to try and ridicule my post
try reading all the post before proving how big of a idiot you are

Latest posts