Please Read: I am interested in your opinion on this matter

Good idea. I would pay a lot to be able to use the full size version of this as a reminder of the glory days as my signature - used to use it until I was forced to remove it on the old scout board.

alford.jpg

whatever happens, please, please stay around k4pz. too much! :)

Sounds like an ok plan but this could create entitlement issues as users who donate more money will have a superiority complex towards the lower donors. Haha. Depends on over all pricing I guess. Maybe get some interns to help you with the site. That could offset costs.

whatever happens, please, please stay around k4pz. too much! :)

Were you on Scout when that full size pic was my signature along with a congratulatory comment to Coach Alford on his TWO BIG TEN TITLES? My mere presence in a thread drew a substantial amount of ire. Until JD banned me for no good reason, anyway.

Love the Chalk Talk idea someone mentioned earlier. Some X's and O's sessions for basketball and football would be a great add. I'd pony up for that.

I'm not a subscriber to HI, but recently have looked at the Swarm forum just to see what is being posted and the activity. It appears to me that the Swarm has less activity than their Football Discussion and both have considerably less activity than the HN forums. The threads on HN have significantly more posts per thread. That is the real advantage that HN has over HI.

I would want to have any premium levels implemented in a way that does not dilute that advantage.

Jon, I wouldn't change the dynamic of your product from free to quasi paid. You have set yourself apart from those sites. You have taken customers and market share from them because you offered something different and in many ways better. Many people like me came from rivals or scout and have become HN loyalist.

I would go in the direction of unharnessing your loyalty with the Hawks, take what you know and look for markets to introduce this same type of site for different teams.

what does cyclownfanatic do to elicit their faithful to donate? just gives them a little 'donor' note on their avatar area is all as far as i can tell. they seem to have a lot of donors. but not sure how much $.

JD, Sorry but I don't think I can swing it. I all ready pay 2-3 times a week at the bar for most of my information and jokes, and when I get tired of making sport of proles there I can tell them to get lost.

Last edited:
I like the idea and would be happy to donate if it is at a reasonable price level.

There are two things I would like to see in your package:
1) the under armor shirt dose not work well for bigger gents. I personally hate that style of t-shirt.

2) It would be great if the donor board could go by real names. I think this would help in making that board I'll say more respectful.

I have no problem with donating to this site as I frequent it daily. I donate annually to NPR an PBS because once again, I frequent what they have to offer.

I like the idea on donors getting an insignia next to their screen name/avatar that let's others know that they donate. This may encourage other frequent users to donate or otherwise be known as a freeloader. Maybe a few other perks such as a bigger avatar than non donaters or a reputation system that only donors could participate in if they so choosed.

Like PBS and NPR you could have a pledge week where you would bring in special guests (yourself or ex-players,etc) and the new donor could have 1 or 2 questions(depending on donor level) they could ask the guest of note and would be answered in a open thread that everyone could see but only donors could participate in. I'm thinking you could exchange with the guest some free publicity/advertising for participating in the thread. Roy Marble comes to mind right now as he would love the participate in something like this in exchange for getting his book lots of publicity with the perfect demographic.

Not a big fan, you can call it "donations" if you want, but it makes it a pay board. If it's like twenty bucks or something reasonable I'm sure I'll pay. But then i assume I'd spend the majority of my time in that board and forget about everyone on the free board. If it's more then I want to pay, then I'll feel like I'm missing out on perdcentage of the board. Either way it's less interactions and people contributing to threads and the more participation the more I enjoy the message boards. I like HN as it is and the ads don't bother me at all.
What he said.. ^^

I have no problem with donating to this site as I frequent it daily. I donate annually to NPR an PBS because once again, I frequent what they have to offer.

I like the idea on donors getting an insignia next to their screen name/avatar that let's others know that they donate. This may encourage other frequent users to donate or otherwise be known as a freeloader. Maybe a few other perks such as a bigger avatar than non donaters or a reputation system that only donors could participate in if they so choosed.

Like PBS and NPR you could have a pledge week where you would bring in special guests (yourself or ex-players,etc) and the new donor could have 1 or 2 questions(depending on donor level) they could ask the guest of note and would be answered in a open thread that everyone could see but only donors could participate in. I'm thinking you could exchange with the guest some free publicity/advertising for participating in the thread. Roy Marble comes to mind right now as he would love the participate in something like this in exchange for getting his book lots of publicity with the perfect demographic.

For the record, I would also be glad to be one of the special guests.

I remember it ok4prez like it was yesterday.

And jon, I love how you've done this site. Consider me a donor.

I would like a seperate forum for clone fans within HN. This way they can keep up on hawk nation news but when they post they will be among their own and won't cause problems for serious hawk fans.

Latest posts