Please Read: I am interested in your opinion on this matter

Totally serial, brah. If JD needs some coin to keep the Nation afloat, he ought to just go ahead and ask. Plus, the only opposing fans we get up in nya are fufred and all the clown fans - I like that because nothing sucks like losing to Minnesota and then having all 19 Goofer fans show up chirping.

well, not all 19, cuz only 12 cared enough to even check the score Sunday afternoon, and then just 6 were interested enough to go online, all of which did so just to rub it in the opposing fan base's face.

Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.

The site has grown a great deal and I love that...there are certain months of the year where ad rates tank, and something like this would just allow me to flatten out the revenue curve a bit. It's not a matter of lack of funds, but I would also make the commitment that 100% of the donated funds would be reinvested into the site...if those funds would far and away cover the bandwidth and technical costs, then the overage would go into some personnel moves I am considering, not into my pocket.

I would be OK with it. I am concerned about this leading to even more cliquishness. (is that a word?) I can see it now.
"Hey, I'm a donor, buddy. I pay for you to be on this site. If you don't like my point of view, get the hell out."

This is a good point.

Serious question JD, a while back you were openly seeking to hire a sales rep to sell ad space on the sight to local clients. Is that no longer a priority or source of revenue for the site?

Looking at different strategies there. I think there is room for local, but I am thinking of a different avenue than hiring someone to work for us. I think there are possibilities of working with local ad agencies, or just going out and filling a certain number of slots myself this spring.

What about instead of "donor board", you make it a "donor chat" for live events, thus, not having to maintain a separate board/forum all the time?

OTOH, the thought of Thunder, Vintage and a few others PAYING so they stay AWAY from us regular folks has me giddy.

OK4P, you'll still talk to us, right?

In all seriousness, I am on board, anything to help the site.

This is a good point.

That's not something I'd want to see...and this is why I tossed this post out here long before I had made up my mind to do it, or not do it, or what it might look like.

you all allow me to do something I really love to do, so I do like to get your input on some of these things.

All I know is this, if I donate money to any capital venture I expect a share of ownership in return, complete with voting rights.

Well, this ain't a securities offering. Anyway, even as a non-paying member of HN, I am of the opinion you have more of a say in its operation than the common shareholder sheep who will line up to buy the Facebook IPO will have in the operation of that business.

Not a big fan, you can call it "donations" if you want, but it makes it a pay board. If it's like twenty bucks or something reasonable I'm sure I'll pay. But then i assume I'd spend the majority of my time in that board and forget about everyone on the free board. If it's more then I want to pay, then I'll feel like I'm missing out on percentage of the board. Either way it's less interactions and people contributing to threads and the more participation the more I enjoy the message boards. I like HN as it is and the ads don't bother me at all.

I guess I just don't see the added value of a "donor" board. It could also alienate all of the people that aren't "donors" and I think that could further hurt your ad revenues. As certain information becomes only available on those boards you might see non donors leave.

I would be OK with it. I am concerned about this leading to even more cliquishness. (is that a word?) I can see it now.
"Hey, I'm a donor, buddy. I pay for you to be on this site. If you don't like my point of view, get the hell out."

The Committee and certain cliques (the Fort Dodge and Urbandale Clans to name a few) already look down our noses at you common proles.

I would consider donating.

However, if I donate, I'm going to be a "high level donor" and change my screen name to "Golfer II" and be "in the know."

Instead of making a donar board, maybe you could make some sort of premium extras that only donars could use. Like having picture/signature line/using emoticons/HN app and even come up with new extras.

Can you create a level of donation that allows me to unilaterally eliminate posters? The Ayatollah Club? Has a nice ring, and I would pay far more for that than a polo.

My two cent is to sell the merchandise separate and not go fees on the board. The only way a pay board is valuable to me is if there is additional oversight given to the jihadists thus bringing up the value of the content.

Instead of making a donar board, maybe you could make some sort of premium extras that only donars could use. Like having picture/signature line/using emoticons and even come up with new extras.

Good idea. I would pay a lot to be able to use the full size version of this as a reminder of the glory days as my signature - used to use it until I was forced to remove it on the old scout board.

alford.jpg

Latest posts