Pelini having a terrible day

Iowa fans gave up on Iowa BB a few years ago too. They are just now coming back.

Big difference between not following a down program and switching to another school (but just for one sport). Did the iowa bball fans start to go buy ISU gear? Not the same. Again, I live here and see it every...single...day.

I think many Iowa fans felt the same about a stadium who booed our team off the field after loosing to some directional Michigan team.

I have no problem with what Pelini said. Was it a bad choice of location to let the rant fly? Sure. But at least it's honest.

Why is it noble for a coach to stand in front of a room of reporters and put up some half-faked Pollyanna responses but a terminable offense when a guy shows a hint of honesty and emotion?

Honesty and emotion is great. Screaming "F YOU !"... at virtually everybody associated with your job is not.

I hate Nebraska too but the fair weather fan comment does not apply here. Spoiled, maybe, but not fair weather. Nebraska has had about 40 years of consecutive sell outs. Iowa had 6,000 + unsold tickets for Missouri State game.

i'll repost this.

1) the sellout thing is horseshite. Sure they sell every seat cause the corporate sponsors buy them if there are any remaining. See #2 for reasons
2) there are no other D1 programs in the state, obviously no pro teams, there is no significant fbs teams, and there is no longer any college footnall in Omaha. 80 percent of the states population lives within an hour of Lincoln. They have no less to do than Iowans do, but with the geography spread, isu, and UNI in the state... it does matter.

Again, I live here...there are a crap load of fair weather fans that are just Done with this 9-10 win crap with no championships.

I live with the shite every day and went to a small state school here from 94-99...so I saw the pinnacle of crazy.

So...sorry...your wrong on this one.

I think many Iowa fans felt the same about a stadium who booed our team off the field after loosing to some directional Michigan team.

I have no problem with what Pelini said. Was it a bad choice of location to let the rant fly? Sure. But at least it's honest.

Why is it noble for a coach to stand in front of a room of reporters and put up some half-faked Pollyanna responses but a terminable offense when a guy shows a hint of honesty and emotion?

Worst Iowa fans I've ever seen are those who booed Shada on Senior Day when he ran out to meet his parents. There were a lot of them. I don't get how you can boo a 22 year old kid in that setting.

Big difference between not following a down program and switching to another school (but just for one sport). Did the iowa bball fans start to go buy ISU gear? Not the same. Again, I live here and see it every...single...day.

I'm Northwestern football, Indiana basketball. But I might switch to Illinois basketball.

Gotta test these ceterus paribus. Give Nebraska an 8-5 season, followed by a 7-6 season, followed by a 4-8 season, followed by a loss at home to a MAC team, followed by a D-1AA opponent - there would be plenty of empty seats by the time that D-1AA opponent came around. Nebraska is greatly helped by its proximity to Omaha, too. Many Iowa fans have a 2+ hour drive and I-88 coming out of the west burbs of Chicago looks like a Hawkeye convoy on Friday night and early Saturday morning before a game - those are folks hitting the road for 3-4 hours and willing to fight traffic when they are going home. It ain't surprising in the least those folks aren't going to go to Iowa City to watch a D-1AA opponent in one of the last nice Saturdays of the year.

Combine this with the fact there is no other college program in the state(not a significant one). isu may not have the fanbase iowa has but if you roll those fans (and even the UNI contingent) into the Hawkeye fanbase...and well...that's thousands, if not tens of thousand of more, local, close proximity, fans.

Not saying sustained struggles wouldn't lower attendance.

Also, there are Absolutely games in the past where they were 100s if not 1000s of emply seats at memorial stadium...they may have been "sold out" but it was by Lincoln/Omaha backing corporations.

There is a percentage of EVERY fanbase that are fairweather, the the gloating on the sellout thing drives me nuts.

First, it was audio from the Husker Sports Network (or whatever they call it) while they were setting up for the post-game coaches show. The other 2 voices were play by play guys Greg Sharp and Chris Anderson (female).

Uh huh. Fair weather. 50 years of consecutive sellouts would tell you differently.

I recall quite a few thread on this site that were talking about giving up the Hawks season tickets not too long ago.

Thank you.

Wrong. Those "Jay-sker fans" as we call them mostly are Creighton grads who don't have a football team to root for and glom on the the Husker football team. These are the same people who couldn't sell out the 9000 seat Civic Auditorium back in the 80's but would travel to the Devaney to watch NU basketball when they were relevant.

#1--Proof?? I doubt it, I'll call BS. Even if the tickets are bought by a donor or corporation, they are still sold, are they not??

I would agree that a poriton of our fan base is spoiled and entitled, but fair weather is not accurate. Sell out your own stadium before casting stones.

Jelly much?

I agree with this.

I was kidding about the Romney quote. As far as the rest, not gonna debate ya, I live here see it every day. Not saying they are any more fair weather than any other fanbase, but again, I see it everyday - plenty of fairweather fans. I would be willing to admit I would be jealous of any program that wins 3 NC in 4 years, not the point.

I can't provide proof, other that what i've seen...and heard from people that know. The community AND state of NE have a reason for the sellout to continue, that's fine, the the image that is being projected is that it's all individual seats buy the "greatest fans in the world". You have a monopoly in the state and a rich tradition to boot. It may be "factual" that the seats are "sold" but that's not the point either.

Your as level headed of a nebby fan as I see on these boards, but I will say it again, I live here...and see it every day. Your fans are no different that most other fanbases...the fact that it's sold that they are better....Yep...it bugs me.

I'll admit, my Hawks are down, nebby is better and has a more successful tradition....

Personally, I don't mind Pelini - and the overall message of the tirade was positive on the players, negative on a "fair weather" portion of the fanbase, and the stupid media.

By the Way, again I live here, work here, and went to college here. Since '94, I PERSONALLY know dozens(and am personally aware of 100s) of hardcore Husker fans that don there blue and white in the Fall....it's not ALL nebby fans...but there is a large percentage....and they ain't all former Creighton grads.

As far as I am concerned, you are welcome cause you seem a fairly reasonable nebby fan. But make no mistake, everything I have posted in this thread comes from 20 years living right here in the Heart of nebby land.

Dang...I guess I did debate ya.

I'm one of those O'Keefe, 'cept I come from up North. Back-to-back weeks are a tough call when week 2 is Missouri St, no doubt. But you can always sell on StubHub, and if the demand is there...the seats will be filled.

Population proximity alone doesn't guarantee sold seats. See Minnesota (3 Mill < 1 hour from campus), Northwestern (Chicago), even Illinois for that matter. 8-9 Million (depending on where you draw the circle) just a couple hours up the Interestate.

It will be interesting to see what transpires in Lincoln... some are already freaking out that "the streak" may be in jeopardy if people decide to make a statement against Pelini.

But it's not Just proximity though (NW, ILL, and MN). They have far more population but also have "local" professional sports teams, Chicago has multiple D-1, or significant FBS fanbases. It spreads things out.

Shockingly, I don't wish doom on nebby....just a wake up call Clearly stating that the 90's success will likely NEVER return...NC's in football will be a VERY rare occurance...if ever. And a B1G championship occaisionally, along with 9+ win seasons...is not something to take for granted. They are a gnats sack away from being middle to upper tier B1G, just like so many others are.

But it's not Just proximity though (NW, ILL, and MN). They have far more population but also have "local" professional sports teams, Chicago has multiple D-1, or significant FBS fanbases. It spreads things out.

Shockingly, I don't wish doom on nebby....just a wake up call Clearly stating that the 90's success will likely NEVER return...NC's in football will be a VERY rare occurance...if ever. And a B1G championship occaisionally, along with 9+ win seasons...is not something to take for granted. They are a gnats sack away from being middle to upper tier B1G, just like so many others are.

Yep, the fans have to adjust to the new reality. Once the option ceased to be a viable offense, Nebraska's goose was cooked. And the SEC, Texas and Oregon have way better bag men now, which will make recruiting really hard.

Again, this is a lie. Proof, or stfu......

I've been civil with you man. But your showing those nebby, classes colors... your gonna come on OUR board and tell me stfu, really? REALLY?

Classy....all the way.

I really hope that sellout streak ends, it's such BS.

This audio has been out and floating around for over a year. While I had not heard it till yesterday, (I am definitely not a Husker fan, and really didn't care what he said), some of my co workers had. It bothers me that he would say that about the fans, especially after a win, but I do remember Pelini being upset with fans booing in the first half. Can't say I blame him though as I think booing your own team is pathetic. And more and more of these supposedly "greatest fans in college football" are doing it.

Yeah, I know, the whole sell out streak thing ... but it has become more of a social thing than an actual fan thing. Going more to be seen than to actually pay attention to the game.

Pelini has a good record, although not good enough for some Nebraska fans. Compare him to KFz and he looks good at 50-21 vs 41-26 over the same time. However, Nebraska is 2-3 in bowl games, where Iowa is 3-1. Also, the highest final season ranking for Nebraska under Bo is 14th, where I don't have to tell you that Iowa finished higher than that.

But the thing that really has people Pi**ed here is the way Nebraska loses. I know we are not happy when Iowa loses, but you when you look at the numbers
from last year alone and see Iowa allowed the opponent more than 40 points just once, while Nebraska did it three times (63, 70, 45). Basically, if Nebraska is losing, they tend to lose big. Iowa may lose more games, but at least they are in the game.

I've been civil with you man. But your showing those nebby, classes colors... your gonna come on OUR board and tell me stfu, really? REALLY?

Classy....all the way.

It will never end. If they have to sell tickets for 1 cent each for donation to the Boys and Girls Club of Omaha they will do it to keep the streak alive.

It will never end. If they have to sell tickets for 1 cent each for donation to the Boys and Girls Club of Omaha they will do it to keep the streak alive.

I know this is true, and it bothers me all the more. But they won't admit it...see nebby poster above with 1900+ posts on a Hawkeye board.

When Jacobson headed a large bank in Lincoln before he moved to North Platte, he remembers how Nebraska was able to sell out some games when certain businesses would buy hundreds of seats that were left and then distribute them to underprivileged children and their parents

Your proof

Why do you think the basketball team (now volleyball team, I believe) has/had the Ameritas Classic? The mother of my best friend from college worked there and we could get tickets anytime we wanted, because they had so many. The McNeese St. game in the Callahan era was a huge one for having to have extra tix bought up by businesses.

This is just common knowledge. Are you seriously denying this? I thought everybody knew this. Even when it is mentioned in the national media, there is a wink and a nod kinda thing going on.
Man, talk about naive..........

Your proof

Why do you think the basketball team (now volleyball team, I believe) has/had the Ameritas Classic? The mother of my best friend from college worked there and we could get tickets anytime we wanted, because they had so many. The McNeese St. game in the Callahan era was a huge one for having to have extra tix bought up by businesses.

BOOM. There you have it.

I was kidding about the Romney quote. As far as the rest, not gonna debate ya, I live here see it every day. Not saying they are any more fair weather than any other fanbase, but again, I see it everyday - plenty of fairweather fans. I would be willing to admit I would be jealous of any program that wins 3 NC in 4 years, not the point.

I can't provide proof, other that what i've seen...and heard from people that know. The community AND state of NE have a reason for the sellout to continue, that's fine, the the image that is being projected is that it's all individual seats buy the "greatest fans in the world". You have a monopoly in the state and a rich tradition to boot. It may be "factual" that the seats are "sold" but that's not the point either.

Your as level headed of a nebby fan as I see on these boards, but I will say it again, I live here...and see it every day. Your fans are no different that most other fanbases...the fact that it's sold that they are better....Yep...it bugs me.

I'll admit, my Hawks are down, nebby is better and has a more successful tradition....

Personally, I don't mind Pelini - and the overall message of the tirade was positive on the players, negative on a "fair weather" portion of the fanbase, and the stupid media.

By the Way, again I live here, work here, and went to college here. Since '94, I PERSONALLY know dozens(and am personally aware of 100s) of hardcore Husker fans that don there blue and white in the Fall....it's not ALL nebby fans...but there is a large percentage....and they ain't all former Creighton grads.

As far as I am concerned, you are welcome cause you seem a fairly reasonable nebby fan. But make no mistake, everything I have posted in this thread comes from 20 years living right here in the Heart of nebby land.

Dang...I guess I did debate ya.

Fair enough.

Classy....all the way.

My apologies. I didn't see your previous post, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers. I apologize for any disrespect I have displayed.

Your proof

I've heard that rumor, but from my understanding, those were tickets that were returned from the opponents allotment. Not that it matters much. If I was incorrect, then I will stand corrected. Either way, the tickets were purchased by someone......

I guess......

Latest posts