Pelini having a terrible day

I think the reality of the situation is that most Nebraska fans realize Bo has them in a better spot than they ever were with Callahan, and they also realize college football has changed. They won't be dominating ANYONE in major college football ever again. I'm sure this situation seriously ticked a lot of Husker fans off, but when they actually stopped and thought about what firing Bo would do to the program they thought better of it. They don't want to have to go through another transition. Plus the whole situation basically explains how difficult it is to be the head coach at Nebraska because you have to put up with an incredibly arrogant fanbase that often has totally unrealistic expectations.

Basically what I'm saying is if Bo lost his job in this situation I'm not sure Nebraska could just hand pick a replacement like a lot of their fans think they could. The head coaching job at Nebraska isn't what it used to be, but the fans are the same or even worse. They would certainly be able to find a replacement, but I'd be surprised if it were a big name coach who could make an immediate impact.

I suspect NU's admin is quietly putting together a short list of good coaches who are the "right fit" at nebraska.

seems like you can find a winning coach at smaller/lower profile program, who, given resources and NU can get the job done.

Being a high profile coordinator isn't necessarily the formula to be a HC.

I don't think he'll be fired at the end of the year unless they have a bad one. I do believe that he himself will probably find another job after this season.

Last edited:
I don't think he'll be fired at the end of the year unless they have a bad one. I do believe that he himself will probably find another job after this season.

I agree. He's not going to be fired or even disciplined other than perhaps a letter in his file. I honestly don't think what he did was all that bad. He shouldn't have said what he did in any but the most private of moments. But he was frustrated that Huskers fans seemed to be bailing out just as his team was working hard to get back in the game. That had to really grate on his butt. Refreshing, actually, to have a head coach with a pulse.

A football coach cussed in a private room?? Oh the horror.......... :rolleyes:
The real problem is and I believe I have said this from day one of this hiring...HE IS NOT A HEAD COACH. Bo simply cannot sit back and be the objective observer that head coaches have to be. He cannot trust anyone, thus when you look at his staff he has a bunch of people who are afraid of him. Look at the coaching tree of Hayden Fry...surround yourself with the best and get the f**% out of the way and let em coach. Nebraska with it's rich tradition of Mr. Davis simply cannot allow this to happen...I mean this is an institution who had Bob Devaney and we all know what a great guy he was...and a great role model. He and Barry Switzer use to get drunk in Lincoln and do all sorts of things that would get any other coach fired nowdays. Nebraska fans are willing to put up with a guy who simply does nothing more during a game then blow veins in his neck and rip people a new bung hole. Tommy Frazier is dead on...this staff cannot make adjustments at all. Heck the Ohio State game where they came back never would of happened if the QB had not gone down. Bo is a 99% widow maker artery ready to blow at any minute...this will never change. If Husker Nation wants the clean reputation you think you have then Bo must go!

Fair weather fans? They have the longest string of sell-outs in college football history...going all the way back to 1962. That's pretty much the opposite... of fair weather fans.

And don't give me the "there's nothing else to do in Nebraska" line. That's exactly what Gopher fans say about IOWA.

There IS nothing else to do. When the Huskers have a sell-out crowd in Memorial Stadium, it is the third largest population center in Nebraska. (Of course, when Kinnick is sold out it is the fifth largest population center in Iowa).

In the long run, its a game played by 18-23 year olds. I enjoy watching them (last weekend excluded)

I LIKED the outcome last weekend. My cousin's son is the starting center for UCLA, and he had some blocks that just leveled people.

Nebraska screwed itself when they fired Solich. Now no big time coach will want to coach at a place where 9-3 is not respectable given the landscape.

They likely felt they were on pretty safe ground. Online polls by the state's newspapers almost across the board show about half of Husker nation feels Pelini should not be disciplined and only a third feel he should be fired immediately or at the end of the season. Granite, none of the polls are scientific measures of opinion. But they do seem to show a consensus of opinion.

Poll: How should Pelini be disciplined? - Omaha.com

I'm waiting for this poll:

Is Bo Pelini bats**t crazy?
* yes
* no

What celebrity does Bo Pelini remind you of the most?
* Wallace from "Wallace & Gromit"
* banjo player in Deliverance
* the woodchipper killer in "Fargo"
* Lord Voldemort

I agree. He's not going to be fired or even disciplined other than perhaps a letter in his file. I honestly don't think what he did was all that bad. He shouldn't have said what he did in any but the most private of moments. But he was frustrated that Huskers fans seemed to be bailing out just as his team was working hard to get back in the game. That had to really grate on his butt. Refreshing, actually, to have a head coach with a pulse.

Telling the entire Husker Nation to F off was not that big a deal?
What a country. If he had told a joke that offended the wrong person or persons, he would have been fired on the spot and his career ruined.

It isn't as simple as that and you damn well know it 74. Pelini has a track record of being a hothead. It isn't like this was his first incident being caught doing something unbecoming of someone who is the highest paid public employee in the state. Only this time he took it a step further by basically telling the very people who hold him in that position to F off and then theatening to leave. Whether you admit it or not the guy is as unprofessional as it gets for someone is his position.

I think the reality of the situation is that most Nebraska fans realize Bo has them in a better spot than they ever were with Callahan, and they also realize college football has changed. They won't be dominating ANYONE in major college football ever again. I'm sure this situation seriously ticked a lot of Husker fans off, but when they actually stopped and thought about what firing Bo would do to the program they thought better of it. They don't want to have to go through another transition. Plus the whole situation basically explains how difficult it is to be the head coach at Nebraska because you have to put up with an incredibly arrogant fanbase that often has totally unrealistic expectations.

Basically what I'm saying is if Bo lost his job in this situation I'm not sure Nebraska could just hand pick a replacement like a lot of their fans think they could. The head coaching job at Nebraska isn't what it used to be, but the fans are the same or even worse. They would certainly be able to find a replacement, but I'd be surprised if it were a big name coach who could make an immediate impact.

Can't disagree with much of what you said. I just don't think that this incident alone warrants a firing.

I suspect NU's admin is quietly putting together a short list of good coaches who are the "right fit" at nebraska.

seems like you can find a winning coach at smaller/lower profile program, who, given resources and NU can get the job done.

Being a high profile coordinator isn't necessarily the formula to be a HC.

I agree with all of this, except, who really wants the guy as a HC? Seriously.

The real problem is and I believe I have said this from day one of this hiring...HE IS NOT A HEAD COACH. Bo simply cannot sit back and be the objective observer that head coaches have to be. He cannot trust anyone, thus when you look at his staff he has a bunch of people who are afraid of him. Look at the coaching tree of Hayden Fry...surround yourself with the best and get the f**% out of the way and let em coach. Nebraska with it's rich tradition of Mr. Davis simply cannot allow this to happen...I mean this is an institution who had Bob Devaney and we all know what a great guy he was...and a great role model. He and Barry Switzer use to get drunk in Lincoln and do all sorts of things that would get any other coach fired nowdays. Nebraska fans are willing to put up with a guy who simply does nothing more during a game then blow veins in his neck and rip people a new bung hole. Tommy Frazier is dead on...this staff cannot make adjustments at all. Heck the Ohio State game where they came back never would of happened if the QB had not gone down. Bo is a 99% widow maker artery ready to blow at any minute...this will never change. If Husker Nation wants the clean reputation you think you have then Bo must go!

Time will tell if he is a great HC, I am having more and more doubts every day. Most of what you said is accurate, I'll give you that.

I wonder if the guy is bi-polar, seriously. He does stuff like the Jack Hoffman deal and he runs (allegedly) a clean program, but then is caught blowing up, ranting and raving.. Totally inconsistent, and the football team mirrors that.

There IS nothing else to do. When the Huskers have a sell-out crowd in Memorial Stadium, it is the third largest population center in Nebraska. (Of course, when Kinnick is sold out it is the fifth largest population center in Iowa).

Well, to be fair, Lincoln is the 2nd largest with over 200K, and the next biggest town probably doesn't have more that 40K. Iowa has more medium sized cities.

That, and Memorial seats 91K, while Kinnick is about 70K??

Nebraska screwed itself when they fired Solich. Now no big time coach will want to coach at a place where 9-3 is not respectable given the landscape.

This.

I'm waiting for this poll:

Is Bo Pelini bats**t crazy?
* yes
* no

What celebrity does Bo Pelini remind you of the most?
* Wallace from "Wallace & Gromit"
* banjo player in Deliverance
* the woodchipper killer in "Fargo"
* Lord Voldemort

Chicken Dinner

I think Hollywood was inspired by Bo - eyes are a dead ringer.

images
5237f42199165.preview-620.jpg

Time will tell if he is a great HC, I am having more and more doubts every day. Most of what you said is accurate, I'll give you that.

I wonder if the guy is bi-polar, seriously. He does stuff like the Jack Hoffman deal and he runs (allegedly) a clean program, but then is caught blowing up, ranting and raving.. Totally inconsistent, and the football team mirrors that.

You bring up an accurate point...not sure bi-polar. I just think Bo is a defensive guy with lots of passion and fire. He has not learned how to tame that passion and teach his guys the nuances of his defensive scheme. Emotion is a great thing in the game of football. However, if we look at the truly successful head coaches they are able to harness their emotions and concentrate on seeing the "Big Picture". I am not sure Bo is truly capable of separating himself from the emotional part of the game. He simply cannot step back and see the game as it is unfolding. That is just my take...appreciate some civil banner with a Husker fan. I just wonder what is going to happen to Bo...I have a feeling Mr. Davis stepped down to allow a new guy in to send Bo walking.