Pelini having a terrible day

I think coach Pelini days are numbered that loss to ucla is unacceptable in the eyes of corn husker fans they have got rid of coaches for alot less than that

Lets be honest here. Anybody who's ever met a Nebraska fan has wanted to say the exact same things.

I think coach Pelini days are numbered that loss to ucla is unacceptable in the eyes of corn husker fans they have got rid of coaches for alot less than that

Nebraska would be foolish to get rid of Pelini just for this ... or even the UCLA loss. And won't, I predict.

Nebraska would be foolish to get rid of Pelini just for this ... or even the UCLA loss. And won't, I predict.

The season is a long way from over, and there are likely quite a few more embarrassing losses on the way for Nebraska.

Jon, that tape appears to be just before the post- game radio show. I'm guessing its not unusual for coaches right after an emotional game to let off some steam in the presence of broadcasters they think they know and can trust before the mics go live. Have you ever witnessed a profane tirade like that? As much a gentleman as Hayden Fry was and presented publicly, I also know he had his moments.

I've heard coaches talk like that and I've also heard from former players that there is a 'practice voice' lets just say ;) I think everyone lets off steam in private moments, or moments they think are private.

Like this, from last year with Kirk when he was irritated with a Peter Gray question.

I don't have a problem with that. People are people, we are all emotional at times.

I think Bo's diatribe was pretty salty...vindictive and the level of anger out of the norm I would say. Pent up?

Absolutely. I absolutely guarantee these coaches would like to tell about 1/2 the media exactly what Bo said in what he thought was private. It's gonna be awesome here in Omaha, and I'm gonna love the meltdown !!! But personally, taken in context of the situation, Bo ain't wrong....they are a bunch of fairweather fans....just watch.

I heard the guy who planted the recorder was the same guy who planted the cameral on Romney.

I hate Nebraska too but the fair weather fan comment does not apply here. Spoiled, maybe, but not fair weather. Nebraska has had about 40 years of consecutive sell outs. Iowa had 6,000 + unsold tickets for Missouri State game.

So who's the first to go?

Pelini @ Nebby (duck out of water)
Kill @ Minney (why can't they get his phenytoin and valproic acid levels to stabilize??)
Dantonio @ MSU (fanbase getting itchy)
Beckman @ Illinois (ugh)
Brown @ Texas
Kiffin @ USC

Who ya got?

Brown - he's ran out of coaches to blame/fire.

Thats only because they have been winning. Look at their basketball fans. They all became Creighton fans and gave up on NE basketball. They must be the greatest fans in the world.

Iowa fans gave up on Iowa BB a few years ago too. They are just now coming back.

I've heard coaches talk like that and I've also heard from former players that there is a 'practice voice' lets just say ;) I think everyone lets off steam in private moments, or moments they think are private.

Like this, from last year with Kirk when he was irritated with a Peter Gray question.

I don't have a problem with that. People are people, we are all emotional at times.

I think Bo's diatribe was pretty salty...vindictive and the level of anger out of the norm I would say. Pent up?

Bo and Pent up (anger) are NOT Synonymous lol. Maybe Coach K can help him deal with his yelling issues

Nebraska basketball has always sucked. And the fact that many shift to Creighton with the season change is Tavern-Husker stuff, no doubt. I don't interact much with Husker fans, but I hear the stories.

But we're talking about the football program here. Until we start seeing empty seats (like we saw in Kinnick in week 2...OH NO...I DIDN'T!)... I don't think the term "fair weather" applies.

It's gonna be interesting watching what happens in Lincoln over the next few weeks.

Last edited:
No. And no.
I glanced at his contract. It says he has to comply with all University rules and regulations. I ain't gonna read all the university rules and regs, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have some sort of non-disparagement and/or best interests of representing the U of Nebraska in there. There is also something in there about financial exigency that refers to Nebraska Bylaws. I wonder if a hat could be hung on those, e.g., that Pelini's presence will hurt funding for football so badly that he has to go. Choice of law and venue are both obviously Nebraska and I highly doubt that Lady Justice is blindfolded when The Program is spoken badly of.

They'll negotiate a substantially reduced buyout and tell the guy to pound sand and try suing if he doesn't like it. Honestly, how many of you folks have to shell a donation at Iowa for season tickets? Would you continue to pay that donation if it was padding Ferentz's pocket after he talked about the fan base like Pelini did? I sure as hell wouldn't. It is completely inexcusable no matter how much we collectively hate Nebraska fans and want to agree with Pelini. There are two things you absolutely can't do as a Nebraska head coach:

1) Bash Osborne
2) Bash the fans

Nebraska basketball has always sucked. And the fact that many shift to Creighton with the season change is Tavern-Husker stuff, no doubt. I don't interact much with Husker fans, but I hear the stories.

But we're talking about the football program here. Until we start seeing empty seats (like we saw in Kinnick in week 2...OH NO...I DIDN'T!)... I don't think the term "fair weather" applies.

It's gonna be interesting watching what happens in Lincoln over the next few weeks.

Gotta test these ceterus paribus. Give Nebraska an 8-5 season, followed by a 7-6 season, followed by a 4-8 season, followed by a loss at home to a MAC team, followed by a D-1AA opponent - there would be plenty of empty seats by the time that D-1AA opponent came around. Nebraska is greatly helped by its proximity to Omaha, too. Many Iowa fans have a 2+ hour drive and I-88 coming out of the west burbs of Chicago looks like a Hawkeye convoy on Friday night and early Saturday morning before a game - those are folks hitting the road for 3-4 hours and willing to fight traffic when they are going home. It ain't surprising in the least those folks aren't going to go to Iowa City to watch a D-1AA opponent in one of the last nice Saturdays of the year.

I got little problem with it. The guy was speaking in what should've been a private moment.
Were I a Nebraska fan, it might bother me more. But I ain't......so it don't.

I live here(Omaha). I'm here to tell you...
1) the sellout thing is horseshite. Sure they sell every seat cause the corporate sponsors buy them if there are any remaining. See #2 for reasons
2) there are no other D1 programs in the state, obviously no pro teams, there is no significant fbs teams, and there is no longer any college footnall in Omaha. 80 percent of the states population lives within an hour of Lincoln. They have no less to do than Iowans do, but with the geography spread, isu, and UNI in the state... it does matter.

Again, I live here...there are a crap load of fair weather fans that are just Done with this 9-10 win crap with no championships.

I live with the shite every day and went to a small state school here from 94-99...so I saw the pinnacle of crazy.

So...sorry...your wrong on this one.

This couldn't be more accurate! I had the unfortunate opportunity to live in Omaha for several years and the truth is the fans are not the "greatest fans in college football" the media makes them out to be. The show they put on for the cameras on Saturdays at Memorial Stadium is just that- it is a show. Oh sure, they clap for the other team when they leave the field (though not so much when the Huskers lose) and they did some nice things for UCLA before the game this past Saturday, but the day to day away from the stadium Husker fan is as unbearable a soul one finds. I lived in Columbus, OH for several years, and one would think that with such a large city surrounding a major university the fans would be equally awful but they aren't. You are allowed to be a Hawkeye fan in C-Bus without getting abused, and nobody there is trying to "convert" you to their program.

And as many have mentioned, all one has to do is follow the Creighton phenomenon to truly see how fair weather the Nebraska fans are away from that stadium on Saturdays.

Pelini is not a head coach. He could have been a head coach 20 or 30 years ago, but not today. The media coverage and the pressure is just too intense for a guy with his personality. He wears his emotions on his sleeve wayyyy too much to be the face of a program. I think most people who aren't biased Nebraska fans realized this quite awhile ago. When you are the face of a program you have to be able to hold these things in. I understand it's only human nature for him to vent, but if you're gonna be the head honcho you have to be smart enough to understand when and where you can do so. He allows his temper to get the best of him far too often and when he does it reflects poorly on the University. This isn't the first time he's put his foot in his mouth.

I'm a military man so a natural analogy for me is comparing a head coach to an officer leading his troops into battle. Sure intensity at certain times is a good thing, but soldiers look to their leader to find strength in difficult situations. If their leader is the one freaking out then it causes shockwaves throughout the platoon. In the military, Pelini would make a good platoon sergeant. He'd do a good job of getting the Commander's message across. However, he would not make a good Commander.

But wouldn't a bunch of the Husker "faithful" -- those who only bleed red, who've been going to games for years/decades, who've passed on or received passed on family season tickets, who've sat through just about every minute of Nebraska football in blistering hot and blustery cold weather -- also say or at least think essentially what Bo said about "fair weather" fans who leave after a bad half of football and don't stick around for the rest of the game? I think I would.

I think Bo's bigger sin right now is bashing Tommie Frazier ... and apparently not nurturing the kind of relationship with a Fusker legend that would discourage him from every publicly criticizing you.

First, it was audio from the Husker Sports Network (or whatever they call it) while they were setting up for the post-game coaches show. The other 2 voices were play by play guys Greg Sharp and Chris Anderson (female).

Absolutely. I absolutely guarantee these coaches would like to tell about 1/2 the media exactly what Bo said in what he thought was private. It's gonna be awesome here in Omaha, and I'm gonna love the meltdown !!! But personally, taken in context of the situation, Bo ain't wrong....they are a bunch of fairweather fans....just watch.

I heard the guy who planted the recorder was the same guy who planted the cameral on Romney.

Truth is an absolute defense. Nebraska fans are fair-weather fans. They deserve his derision. And I'm no fan of Pelini.

Uh huh. Fair weather. 50 years of consecutive sellouts would tell you differently.

I recall quite a few thread on this site that were talking about giving up the Hawks season tickets not too long ago.

Fair weather fans? They have the longest string of sell-outs in college football history...going all the way back to 1962. That's pretty much the opposite... of fair weather fans.

And don't give me the "there's nothing else to do in Nebraska" line. That's exactly what Gopher fans say about IOWA.

Thank you.

Thats only because they have been winning. Look at their basketball fans. They all became Creighton fans and gave up on NE basketball. They must be the greatest fans in the world.

Wrong. Those "Jay-sker fans" as we call them mostly are Creighton grads who don't have a football team to root for and glom on the the Husker football team. These are the same people who couldn't sell out the 9000 seat Civic Auditorium back in the 80's but would travel to the Devaney to watch NU basketball when they were relevant.

I live here(Omaha). I'm here to tell you...
1) the sellout thing is horseshite. Sure they sell every seat cause the corporate sponsors buy them if there are any remaining.

#1--Proof?? I doubt it, I'll call BS. Even if the tickets are bought by a donor or corporation, they are still sold, are they not??

Again, I live here...there are a crap load of fair weather fans that are just Done with this 9-10 win crap with no championships.

I would agree that a poriton of our fan base is spoiled and entitled, but fair weather is not accurate. Sell out your own stadium before casting stones.

I live with the shite every day and went to a small state school here from 94-99...so I saw the pinnacle of crazy

Jelly much?

You know what...I am not a Nebby fan, but I kinda do like Pelini's emotion/enthusiasm (certainly not advocating that extent of emotion for Hawks). What I think (which really doesn't matter) is that the reporter that let that personal, unauthorized soundbite slip to Deadspin or any other media outlet is a real spineless effin P***y. I believe that weasels like that are POS scumbags and probably live miserable lives, with littleman disease. While it's a pretty poor choice of surrounding to be exposing himself, I sincerely hope Bo doesn't lose his job over "that". I would think most true, good fans (that have their profanity filter on) should still be able to overlook the fact that BP was blindsided in his emotional personal release of tension. Of course, that is if the true fan likes him in the first place (this I do not know). It's the world we live in now, where a 2 bit story gets you 15 minutes of fame/flaming to expose a story in this overly PC world. Rant over.

PS It was fun to listen to though!

I agree with this.

Gotta test these ceterus paribus. Give Nebraska an 8-5 season, followed by a 7-6 season, followed by a 4-8 season, followed by a loss at home to a MAC team, followed by a D-1AA opponent - there would be plenty of empty seats by the time that D-1AA opponent came around. Nebraska is greatly helped by its proximity to Omaha, too. Many Iowa fans have a 2+ hour drive and I-88 coming out of the west burbs of Chicago looks like a Hawkeye convoy on Friday night and early Saturday morning before a game - those are folks hitting the road for 3-4 hours and willing to fight traffic when they are going home. It ain't surprising in the least those folks aren't going to go to Iowa City to watch a D-1AA opponent in one of the last nice Saturdays of the year.

I'm one of those O'Keefe, 'cept I come from up North. Back-to-back weeks are a tough call when week 2 is Missouri St, no doubt. But you can always sell on StubHub, and if the demand is there...the seats will be filled.

Population proximity alone doesn't guarantee sold seats. See Minnesota (3 Mill < 1 hour from campus), Northwestern (Chicago), even Illinois for that matter. 8-9 Million (depending on where you draw the circle) just a couple hours up the Interestate.

It will be interesting to see what transpires in Lincoln... some are already freaking out that "the streak" may be in jeopardy if people decide to make a statement against Pelini.

I think many Iowa fans felt the same about a stadium who booed our team off the field after loosing to some directional Michigan team.

I have no problem with what Pelini said. Was it a bad choice of location to let the rant fly? Sure. But at least it's honest.

Why is it noble for a coach to stand in front of a room of reporters and put up some half-faked Pollyanna responses but a terminable offense when a guy shows a hint of honesty and emotion?

Latest posts