OT: Vacation

Wifey wants to take a week and just day trip to different spots around Iowa that we've always said we wanna visit. I'm lukewarm on the idea, but guess who will probably win. :D

7 days, 7 home games. Iowa City. You could take a different route for each game. Stop in small town drinking establishments and meet the locals.

Salida is great. Been there a few times. The Arkansas River should have plenty of water. I live in CO now, and have seen some of the pictures this week of the swollen rapids in parts of Colorado due to the massive snow runoff.

Talk to me about Salida. Love Colorado but have never been to that area

Last edited:
I live in Florida and I see these families pack up their kids and family and go to Orlando for a week in a minivan and can’t figure out how in the hell they pay the $6-8k that trip costs.

Once in a lifetime deal for most probably.

I live in Florida and I see these families pack up their kids and family and go to Orlando for a week in a minivan and can’t figure out how in the hell they pay the $6-8k that trip costs.

I was stuck at a resort for a week for conferences for work and was able to take my family. At the time my boys were 3yrs old. I got sick of the Disney music playing in the hotel all week, even in the restrooms.

I also got sick of paying $35 for a couple breakfast rolls and orange juice for the kids in the morning. The cheapest meal for an individual was around $28. Your stuck eating at one of the restaurants in the resort.

I was stuck at a resort for a week for conferences for work and was able to take my family. At the time my boys were 3yrs old. I got sick of the Disney music playing in the hotel all week, even in the restrooms.

I also got sick of paying $35 for a couple breakfast rolls and orange juice for the kids in the morning. The cheapest meal for an individual was around $28. Your stuck eating at one of the restaurants in the resort.

Worst resort/park food anywhere...way overpriced, not good.

I don't know how you could possibly spend a week on that. I assume you've already seen a fair amount of things, so maybe this is stuff like "Iowa's Largest Frying Pan" in Brandon, Iowa.

Hey, I know where he can go to see "The World's Most #ucked up Roundabout."!

Salida is great. Been there a few times. The Arkansas River should have plenty of water. I live in CO now, and have seen some of the pictures this week of the swollen rapids in parts of Colorado due to the massive snow runoff.

My parents used to have a cabin up in the Chalk Canyon. We are planning on doing some white water rafting. Looking forward to that.

I've been thinking about this and thought I'd share a 7-day "Iowa" trip i did.

I did the perimeter of Iowa in seven days and had a blast...about 4 years ago. At the time, I did it on a motorcycle. I hit all the furthermost "cities" of the four corners on my trip. Seems hokey but was interesting.

I live in Durant...close to Davenport. So we started there...we took the Great River Road to Keokuk. From there, Highway 2 west to Hamburg. Up I-29 to Granite, east on Hwy 9 to New Albin, then back to Davenport.

All four corners...saw lots of places I hadn't seen before (Loess Hills for example), and took in the beautiful Iowa summertime countryside.
Since you live in Durant, allow me to totally derail this thread and ask... What the hell is going on with the police dept there??

Link

Do you live in Georgia? If so, let the musical styling of Zac Brown comfort you on your return:

I'm just gonna drive up by the lake
And put my ass in a lawn chair, toes in the clay
Not a worry in the world, a PBR on the way
Life is good today, life is good today

I gave it a shot, but it just didn't work... No comfort at all! Damn!!!!!

The Brule River in Northern, WI is a great vacation spot for camping, canoeing & fly fishing

120030374.jpg
picture_294_large.jpg
Brule-River-Canoe-RentalWI-654x435.jpg

If you go through South Dakota on a road trip, do NOT stop at Wall Drug! Biggest waste of time and is infested with tourist and over priced, cheap gifts. You will see a Wall Drug billboard about every five minutes as you drive through S. Dakota. Just keep driving and stop at The Badlands and Rapid City for Mt Rushmore and the Crazy Horse memorials.

P1160296.jpg
fav4.jpg
312.jpg
Wall-10-L.jpg

You gotta know your audience better if your gonna drop lie bombs like that. Jesus, dude.

Time to shut this one down, @InGoodCo lol...

1) Arnold's Park, The Emporium, three top notch golf courses, Bridges Bay, scuba diving charters and instruction, Iowa's best multi-species fishing on 5 different lakes (among others), awesome family beaches at Emerson, Marble Beach, Mini Wakan, Isthmus, Gull Point, Pikes Point and others, tons of interactive art museums for kids, kids summer theater programs, PWC rentals, boat rentals, paragliding, free concerts every Saturday night, free fireworks over the water every Saturday night (that put most towns to shame), awesome bar/bar band scene within walking distance of every hotel if that's what you're after, numerous fishing guide services for any species/season, camping literally every couple miles, Emerson and Miller's Bays turn into party coves on weekends...yeah, there's nothing up there.

2) Talk to me about water quality and fish consumption advisories (that's what they're called)...you seem to know a whole lot more than a guy who's on the water/ice there year round and has been since I was a wee little one. West Okoboji is the only one called a blue water lake; it got that description in the 1800s because due to it being the deepest lake in Iowa at 134', it appears "more blue." Spirit, East O, Upper/Lower Gar are all glacial style shallow lakes and they don't have the same appearance.

The water quality is amazing up there and consistently ranks among the highest in the state. This past winter the bluegill harvest was the best one on record and I caught several over 11". Walleyes are flying out of the water this spring. It's also amazing for swimming...you can go there right now and see the bottom clearly in 15' of water at the north end, Emerson, Pikes Point, anywhere you want to swim..you pick.

Last but not least is the dumbest of your dumb stuff...

There has never in the history of the Iowa DNR been a fish consumption advisory at the Iowa Great Lakes. Never. Even when you were a kid. Just for kicks I texted Mike Hawkins (head DNR biologist who manages the entire lake system and hatchery at IGL...google him, he's a cool guy) and he confirmed it. There's never even been one in Dickinson County before. Just to help you out next time you want to spew bullshit, there's a page on the DNR website that maintains all current fish consumption advisories located here. You'll notice that there isn't an FCA in effect anywhere close to western Iowa. In fact, here's what the DNR has to say about eating fish that come out of our waters in this state:

And here's their fact sheet on Iowa fisheries.

Sorry for the long post but the level of dumbassery in this post deserved a response.

You win.

Also, if you road trip to the western states, as you drive watch our for Jackalope's. They will run out onto the highway and you could puncture a tire from their small antlers. I snapped this picture of one from a few years ago while in Montana, cute little fella.

1778904004_4229768fc6_z.jpg

Well idk how old you are but I can remember the place over 45 years ago.
Scuba diving? Lmao. You can't see more than 3 ft in front of your self. Trust me I know.
There is always sewage or swimming advisory every single year (can't prove, but it's been more years than not).
There absolutely has been advisory on fish consumption. Maybe not DNR (I would assume so). But I know someone who sat on the board there and switched professions because of pay and I had a guy work for me years ago because the DNR was paying a whopping $9 HR.
The weeds and invasive species alone signal a huge problem.
Or are you going to sit there and tell me the water is just as clear as when you were a kid? There isn't more weeds? There aren't more invasive species?
Sorry buddy I have fond memories of the place to, but it's been trashed.
As for the emporium? Lol.
I seen some kid with daddy's boat and all his friends there last time I was there.
I was sitting with my 7 year old (at the time)
This cool kid with daddy's boat had a little blonde with him. Wearing a white skirt.
With shit all over the back of it. Real shit.
They were so fucked up they barely made it back down to the dock.

You seriously need to get out more if you think they have an awesome art scene.

As for music?? Well let's see, people like to drink and smoke when listening to and or playing music. Not all, but the majority.
"Come on vacation, leave on probation".
Or do you think that brand new jail and court house is filled to the max and people are ran through as fast as possible to make room every single holiday weekend, because it's not true?

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/l...cle_2ec69be6-526b-5a16-98b7-6988e7e1590b.html

https://www.exploreokoboji.com/news...uting-to-water-quality-issues-in-center-lake/
Just a quick search.
I hate to tell you this, but have you seen the movie Jaws? So you trust the government?
Good luck with that.
I know for a fact, because I lived a stones throw from the water there for a number of years.

You do realize weeds in a lake is a good thing, don't you? Also, to have weeds in a lake, the lake must have clear water so the sunlight can penetrate. The deeper sunlight can penetrate in a lake the deeper weeds can grow.

There are invasive species such as E Milfoil, but, they are pretty much everywhere.

Latest posts