OT: Vacation

I think the cog railway is worth it. I nice little 2-2.5 hrs time period. It takes about 45 min to go up and another 45 min down. Nice way to see the mountain and top with a gift shop at the top you visit for a while.

We did this trip last summer with kids and it was awesome. We all loved rafting. I believe the Cog Railway is shut down for a long period as it needed major fixes, so check before you go.

The wife and I are going to plan something impromptu at some point and do like a 4 day weekend. Almost pulled the trigger on LA because I've always wanted to go (lots of music related things I'd like to see there). I love CO, lived there form 09-13, so I love going there too. Maybe. We're planning on going to Vegas for the hoops tourney this year, but really NOTHING is planned before that. I do go to Boji about every other weekend in the summer and while I am working up there, that's only from 9p to 1am on FRI and SAT, so we do get some RnR up there. I told the wife that if we don't do anything big this summer that means we're gonna go to at least 2 home games and maybe up to Ames.

We did this trip last summer with kids and it was awesome. We all loved rafting. I believe the Cog Railway is shut down for a long period as it needed major fixes, so check before you go.

Also - 80 degrees in Manitou and 28 degrees at the top - dress accordingly...but CO weather is the absolute best IMO

Also - 80 degrees in Manitou and 28 degrees at the top - dress accordingly...but CO weather is the absolute best IMO

If any way possible, this year make your way SW. Telluride, Durango, Silverton, Ouray.... absolute record late season snowfalls this year. So there are waterfalls this year that haven’t been for a while. Plus the peaks have more snow than usual so some stunning photo opportunities. There’s still roads to high mountain passes getting plowed out that have snow 10-20 ish feet tall. The fishing could be awful and rafting may be extremely treacherous this year.

[QUOTE="InGoodCo, post: 1849095, member: 69117" I do go to Boji about every other weekend in the summer and while I am working up there, that's only from 9p to 1am on FRI and SAT, so we do get some RnR up there. [/QUOTE]

Any place who's motto is "come on vacation, leave on probation" is not a place I want to spend my time or money.
A couple good restaurants and a little bit of music (which is meh) just isn't worth it.
Last time I was at the green space (6 years ago or so) there were so many mosquitoes.
You would think they could do something about that with propane traps.
The water quality has been decreasing for years. Evidenced by the weeds. Blue water lakes?? Lol. Half the time raw sewage has "leaked" in and they advise not to swim or caution about swimmers itch.
The DNR advises not to eat fish from there more than about twice a week.
I grew up going there on the weekends. It's changed, and not for the better.
I would save my money, go somewhere nicer and somewhere they appreciate your hard earned $$.

Last edited:
Did I mention I'm going to Battle Lake, MN area?

Enjoy your trip Denver!

I’ve never been. Really excited. We are staying in Kauai. Flying one day to Oahu for Pearl Harbor. Going to snorkel around the Napali coast. Then some lazy resort/beach days. Might try to hike one day on Kauai. Not bringing the work laptop, F it for a week. I’ll deal with it when I get back.

If any way possible, this year make your way SW. Telluride, Durango, Silverton, Ouray.... absolute record late season snowfalls this year. So there are waterfalls this year that haven’t been for a while. Plus the peaks have more snow than usual so some stunning photo opportunities. There’s still roads to high mountain passes getting plowed out that have snow 10-20 ish feet tall. The fishing could be awful and rafting may be extremely treacherous this year.
That was kind of our plan, on the way to Vegas.

Durango is an amazing little community. Going over Wolf Creek's Pass is also scary AF when it's like that.

[QUOTE="InGoodCo, post: 1849095, member: 69117" I do go to Boji about every other weekend in the summer and while I am working up there, that's only from 9p to 1am on FRI and SAT, so we do get some RnR up there.

[/QOUTE] Any place who's motto is "come on vacation, leave on probation" is not a place I want to spend my time or money.
A couple good restaurants and a little bit of music (which is meh) just isn't worth it.
Last time I was at the green space (6 years ago or so) there were so many mosquitoes.
The water quality has been decreasing for years. Evidenced by the weeds. Blue water lakes?? Lol. Half the time raw sewage has "leaked" in and they advise not to swim or caution about swimmers itch.
I would save my money, go somewhere nicer and somewhere they appreciate your hard earned $$.[/QUOTE]

When I am up there, I stay for free, eat and booze for free and after 2 nights and about 4 hours total of work, walk out with over a week of pay compared to my day job. So, I am "technically" up there to work, but it's rare if I spend $40 over the weekend and most of that is "tipping". I get the rock star treatment up there, that said, you are right, it's going in the wrong direction and really that's because of its popularity. Just too many god damn people. What I do is worth it for me, but to be honest, there are times I'd rather be just about anywhere else.

Manitou Springs used to be kind of a cool place to visit. But I think the live music scene has died down. Absolutely huge arcade. Lot's of shops and restaurants. Also lot's of homeless and Street musicians ( my last visit after they legalized pot).
If you are wanting to ski, you could ski in Vail and stay in Buena Vista, just on the other side of the collegiate mountains. I think that place is a hidden gem. It's not pretentious, it's got everything you need. It's the right mix of locals and travelers.
They also have some great rafting right there!!!
Hiking the incline is fun. I was there last summer and there was almost no live music.

I can confirm that it was closed last summer at least.

[/QOUTE] Any place who's motto is "come on vacation, leave on probation" is not a place I want to spend my time or money.
I would save my money, go somewhere nicer and somewhere they appreciate your hard earned $$.

When I am up there, I stay for free, eat and booze for free and after 2 nights and about 4 hours total of work, walk out with over a week of pay compared to my day job. So, I am "technically" up there to work, but it's rare if I spend $40 over the weekend and most of that is "tipping". I get the rock star treatment up there, that said, you are right, it's going in the wrong direction and really that's because of its popularity. Just too many god damn people. What I do is worth it for me, but to be honest, there are times I'd rather be just about anywhere else.[/QUOTE]

Have to make a living.
From 9-1, I would assume bouncer, music or something to do with the bar scene.
Possible stripper if you are a woman.
:)

Just got back from a weekend in Chicago where the wife and I went to the Chicago Blues Fest and we had a Wartburg alum gathering for a Cubs game at Wrigley. We went to Arizona earlier this year for a week or so. We don't have a lot planned for this summer, maybe some 3-day weekend camping trips.

When I am up there, I stay for free, eat and booze for free and after 2 nights and about 4 hours total of work, walk out with over a week of pay compared to my day job. So, I am "technically" up there to work, but it's rare if I spend $40 over the weekend and most of that is "tipping". I get the rock star treatment up there, that said, you are right, it's going in the wrong direction and really that's because of its popularity. Just too many god damn people. What I do is worth it for me, but to be honest, there are times I'd rather be just about anywhere else.

Have to make a living.
From 9-1, I would assume bouncer, music or something to do with the bar scene.
Possible stripper if you are a woman.
:)[/QUOTE]

musician, it's not how I really make a living (still got a day gig) but I am at the point in life where I don't do anything music wise anymore unless it pays me so well that I'd be an idiot not to do it. That way when I am sick of dealing with drunk people and the partying I can always remind myself that I am making as much an hour as a Dr. most nights. I'm old (41) but one of the other acts I play in regularly, Sack of Lions, just charted on Billboard this week - so hey, maybe someday I can just do it full time but I aint counting on it. :)

****shameless plugs**** this is my band. Feel free to enjoy, make fun of, share or torch us on social media. Whatever you do, just click on it a bunch of times so I get paid. :)

****shameless plugs**** this is my band. Feel free to enjoy, make fun of, share or torch us on social media. Whatever you do, just click on it a bunch of times so I get paid. :)

Well, I think it is better than the two most famous songs to come out of Iowa in the past decade, "We Built Sioux City" and that Ames water song, so you got that going for you.