O'Keefe Returns to Iowa Staff

If you're alluding to KF-Hate .... Yes
I had no problem w kok the first time. A lot did. The Iowa problem is lack of imagination on the O. Kok as he was under k f was pretty bread and butter with sometimes salt added in the butter. Now he has 2 Ferents to subdue him.

There were great years of O under him. This is also the same guy that scored 3 on ISU in 05. The scoring average preceeding KF the new 2 for 3 straight years was underwhelming.

Not a KF Hater at all. For sure not KOK hater. This does look less than functional healthy.

This was my first car that thang hauls!
My favorite car,
images

The thing about Okeefe is that he understood how to run offense in Ferentz style. If Chip Kelly ran the offense under Kurt, it would still be ball control and run the ball.
Ferentz is like peanut butter. A staple in every pantry but never the fanciest food item. But, if you decide to eat PB you mix it with jelly (KOK) and it works pretty well. Greg Davis and Kurt was like eating a PB and Vaseline sandwich.

I think there are a lot of positives with this addition of KOK. Now you have two coordinators with NFL experience for receivers in TE's (BF) and WR's (KOK). The offense is likely to be built much like the Pats where BF came from with a lot of use of TE's and the need for a solid QB. Having KOK with QB's as his primary focus will be incredibly helpful in getting young QB's ready as quickly as possible. Having spent 5 years in Florida and being a good recruiter will help us as well. Certainly, we are entering a new era for Hawkeye offense with BF as the OC. We can only guess how it will develop, but this move has many more positives with it than negatives IMO.

Iowa football = Chevy Impala

I guess it all depends when you became old enough to drive.

Most guys my age would have given up their left one for a 1964 Impala SS 409. It was the hottest thing on the street and talk about a chick magnet!

I do drive an Impala LTZ now and it is a very dependable comfortable car. I'd give it about a 8 on the 12 win scale. So yeah, the modern day Impala would be a good comparison. I do know they are spending enough money down there to get the Maserati everybody wants.

IMO, the KOK hire was made to take some of the pressure off the #1 son.

Last edited:
Kirk routinely defaults to safety...in recruiting, play calling, coach selection...secretive, insular, et. al.

The more experience a talented QB gets...the more they become obediently like him....which results in safety, predictability, and boredom.

Its an ok move he can baby sit Brian and fine he can babysit a QB and Stanley will need it. This does NOTHING to help recruiting. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when we lost the 3 TX kids now we can bungle more recruiting. KOK will do NOTHING to help recruiting.

I do drive an Impala LTZ now and it is a very dependable comfortable car. I'd give it about a 8 on the 12 win scale. So yeah, the modern day Impala would be a good comparison.

More like a 1999 grey model with lots more door dings and rust.

Chevrolet_Impala_LS_.jpg

Its an ok move he can baby sit Brian and fine he can babysit a QB and Stanley will need it. This does NOTHING to help recruiting. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory when we lost the 3 TX kids now we can bungle more recruiting. KOK will do NOTHING to help recruiting.

Nothing? Really? DJK, Stanzi, and CJB (among many others) beg to differ...

Brian played on KOK's offense, they know how to work together. KOK did have pretty wide open offenses prior to taking the Iowa job (for those of you willing to do your homework), so he's capable of it. His offense was sure as hell better than Greg Davis's cluster ****. And in retrospect, we all know the old criticism of KOK was really criticism of Kirk. He's always been the limiting factor.

Brian has pushed back before against his old man's stubbornness. He and KOK both know the formula with Kirk...and both would no doubt like to open things up a bit more. Bringing KOK back says Kirk trusts him...so maybe, just maybe he and Brian will be given a little more freedom. Even Kirk has to realize his offense has been embarrassing by now.

I think this could be good. We'll see.

As I state, I'm not thrilled about this hire. IF, and this is a big IF, but if KOK is the only old guy we bring in of the 3 hires (and 4th in April) then I'm ok with it. I think this was more of a safety blanket for the Kirk, and I'm hopeful that the next 2 hires are younger guys who can recruit and really bring some energy to the staff that match Brian's energy, drive, and intensity.

Nothing? Really? DJK, Stanzi, and CJB (among many others) beg to differ...
What you've done in the past may be no indication of future. When he brings in 3-4 star guys from Ohio and PA then you can blow smoke until then school's out on his recruiting.

Iowa was 39-26 and a trainwreck in bowl games with GD as OC. With KOK back on board I hope it helps KF manage games better. It was hit and miss before. I see it as a positive having him back, but I want to be realistic about my expectations.

We also need someone to help Kirk discern when kids are hurt don't continue to make it worse (see CJB in Outback Bowl) so this could be a positive. Still don't know how KF got away with little backlash regarding CJB's health. That was the move of a mental midget.

I do not see much downside if any with KOK returning. As far as we know Brian has never mentored a QB before but KOK has. He also brings play-calling and game planning experience should Brian feel the need to run something by someone for a second opinion. I'd rather have Brian seek input from KOK than Kirk when it comes to offense.

KOK now brings 5 years of being an NFL position coach to the table at a position we have struggled mightily at too.

In my opinion we got a major bargain with being able to bring a person qualified to be an OC back as a position coach at a position we need someone to have experience. This kind of reminds me of Carl Jackson coming back to be Kirks RB coach early in the tenure.

Latest posts