O'Keefe Returns to Iowa Staff

I'll admit I wanted KOK gone. I always thought he was good with the QB's but really wasn't a fan of his play calling. I was really upset how Albert Young saw less carries his junior and senior season and thought Iowa went away from the run too often.

When he left I was happy, but that quickly went away when Greg Davis was hired. I knew he wouldn't work here and never liked his as the OC. Greg Davis made me realize KOK wasn't as bad as I thought he was. I missed the play action roll outs and the passes to the tight ends which were a staple under KOK. I saw two QB (Vandenberg and Beathard) regress their senior seasons. I also saw the worst passing attack that I can remember at Iowa and I'm 40 years old.

I admit looking back I was wrong about KOK. He wasn't perfect but he wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I now welcome him back with open arms and would like to admit I was wrong. I wish he would have never left now and am glad he is coming back as a QB coach. Hopefully he will be able to advise Brian a little as well.

I'll admit I wanted KOK gone. I always thought he was good with the QB's but really wasn't a fan of his play calling. I was really upset how Albert Young saw less carries his junior and senior season and thought Iowa went away from the run too often.

When he left I was happy, but that quickly went away when Greg Davis was hired. I knew he wouldn't work here and never liked his as the OC. Greg Davis made me realize KOK wasn't as bad as I thought he was. I missed the play action roll outs and the passes to the tight ends which were a staple under KOK. I saw two QB (Vandenberg and Beathard) regress their senior seasons. I also saw the worst passing attack that I can remember at Iowa and I'm 40 years old.

I admit looking back I was wrong about KOK. He wasn't perfect but he wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. I now welcome him back with open arms and would like to admit I was wrong. I wish he would have never left now and am glad he is coming back as a QB coach. Hopefully he will be able to advise Brian a little as well.
Yeah at the time I thought a change was needing to be made. I wasn't crazy about the Davis hire at the time either because he was run out of Texas so unceremoniously. He was successful at times when he had great QBs and talent around him. But once that changed by oh boy was he exposed and blamed. Mack Brown had no problem dumping him to try getting himself an extra year or two there. That said I did think maybe his ties to the HSs in Texas would pay dividends in recruiting and well.... We know how that played out as well after the fact...

I'm happy with KOK being back as QB coach now. It tightens up the circle of trust and gives Brian someone he can lean on besides his Dad. He doesn't have to worry about him gunning for his job or any of that kind of petty drama hiring another up and coming young coach might do. I just hope the initial year goes as seamless as possible so they can hit the ground running.

Wide open offenses require a lot of depth on defense because generally the defense is on the field more than the offense in wide open offenses. A case in point was how Atlanta's defense wore down in the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl. I believe this is the reason why KF plays conservative offense. However, he does believe in a balanced offense.

To be fair to KOK re: Albert Young, Young had numerous injuries his junior/senior years. MCL sprain, PCL sprain and other knee issues that were essentially recurrences from his original ACL/etc. issue in 2004. AY saw less action because he really couldn't go at 100% the last two years.

Much of the KOK "issues" were resolved when Soup came on board. Soup made the WRs more focused, and we saw less of the "who-is-he-throwing-to?" from TEs/WRs in the same proximity. And of course, demoting JC/promoting Stanzi made a big difference, as well.

KOK had some amazing play calls over the years. The way he utilized JLew in the 2002 Michigan game was excellent. The adjustment made in 2004 speaks for itself.

About the only defense I can give GD was in 2012 when we lost Bullock for a big chunk, then went with Garmon, who fizzled, then Weisman by absolute necessity. All, of course, started in motion with Canzeri being lost for the 2012 season before it ever started. This on the heels of losing Hampton/ARob/McCall/Coker from 2010/2011. Bullock was never the same after the knee to the head, Canzeri never stayed 100 healthy and even LD had injury issues. Wadley/Parker/et. al. all had great potential, but pretty untested as well as trying to be a "success" in the GDGD System, anyway. If GD walks into the job with a Senior Brandon Wegher (disregard Homer Chumley and his "Wegher was told to move to slot!" tin-foil hat paranoia), Senior ARob, Junior Coker, Sophomore McCall? Obviously a very different scenario.

Still, I, too, am very onboard with GDs departure and subsequent maneuvering.

Latest posts