**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

Appears the Dodgers no longer want Soriano and the Cubs will prbly be stuck with him.

Also it appears Texas and Blue Jays the biggest players in the Garza market

**According to Espnchicago.com

I hope its the rangers or bluejays, both have good systems. So do the dbacks if that is a good option, which it might be.

I don't mind keeping soriano, he's not bad, and he's a good clubhouse guy. really helping castro out.

Appears the Dodgers no longer want Soriano and the Cubs will prbly be stuck with him.

Also it appears Texas and Blue Jays the biggest players in the Garza market

**According to Espnchicago.com

Still a lot of time left today, so it's still possible Sori, or somebody else could move. If not, that's fine, the Cubs will be paying most of his contract anyway, and as Farmer said, he's a good clubhouse guy.

I agree on the sori part (if he can stay healthy and playing well like he is now)

Went to a game in april and he looked Awful! So I was hoping to trade him while hes actually tradeable.

Also just saw the D-backs getting involved......hopefully could pull some of their big time young pitchers (trevor bauer would be awesome)

and not so sure to the dodgers now:

UPDATE 8 (at 12:52pm CT): Aaaaaand, take-back-sies. Jim Bowden now says Dempster to the Dodgers isn’t a sure thing, but you might be happy about the reason (you’ll have to forgive the frightful way he tweets): ”Serious game of chicken between the Dodgers& Cubs on Dempster right now…Cubs believed to have found another team..LA blinks or loses him.” That one doesn’t feel like a shill for the Cubs.

Tom Verducci reports on MLBN that the Cubs and Dodgers have disengaged, and the Cubs are in talks with the Yankees and a mystery team on Dempster.

Last edited:
I agree on the sori part (if he can stay healthy and playing well like he is now)

Went to a game in april and he looked Awful! So I was hoping to trade him while hes actually tradeable.

Also just saw the D-backs getting involved......hopefully could pull some of their big time young pitchers (trevor bauer would be awesome)

Yeah he would be great, but I don't think that will happen. However, their prospects listed number 2 and 3 are one R and one L pitcher. Bradley and Skaggs, I would almost want either of them instead. They seem to be more conventional, bigger pitchers, the types to build around. Bauer is compared to lincecum, which scares me.

I doubt the dbacks would give up any in a trade. It's incredible farm depth to have 3 elite pitchers like those guys, all 20 years old

Yeah he would be great, but I don't think that will happen. However, their prospects listed number 2 and 3 are one R and one L pitcher. Bradley and Skaggs, I would almost want either of them instead. They seem to be more conventional, bigger pitchers, the types to build around. Bauer is compared to lincecum, which scares me.

I doubt the dbacks would give up any in a trade. It's incredible farm depth to have 3 elite pitchers like those guys, all 20 years old

I'm with you 100%. I would take 1 of them and Corbin, who has been scratched from his start today in AAA. Just sayin.

I'm with you 100%. I would take 1 of them and Corbin, who has been scratched from his start today in AAA. Just sayin.

You mean you'd take Bradley and Corbin for garza straight up? Because yeah! That's a no brainer to me.

But what about one for one: garza for j upton? Probs not going to happen, but at least admit you salivated when you read that...

You mean you'd take Bradley and Corbin for garza straight up? Because yeah! That's a no brainer to me.

But what about one for one: garza for j upton? Probs not going to happen, but at least admit you salivated when you read that...
I did not. Don't want Upton. Cubs need pitching, not outfield help. Again Upton is short term with a big contract. We have Soler, Almora, and Jackson (not as high on him as most) Szcur etc. that are the future, so I'd say nah, actually scoffed a bit at that.

Last edited:
Trading Soriano will be just as easy after the deadline. There is absolutely no chance he gets claimed off waivers (and if he somehow was, the Cubs would wave goodbye happily to the contract). Once the trading deadline passes, teams needing a bat won't have much left beside Sori to choose from. So I actually hope he doesn't move today unless it facilitates an amazing return on one of the other deals.

Ryan Dempster Rumors: Tuesday

By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 1:28pm CST]
Cubs righty Ryan Dempster is scheduled to start tonight at Wrigley Field opposite A.J. Burnett, but a little thing called the trade deadline looms four hours prior to that contest. As a 10-and-5 player, however, Dempster must approve any trade. The latest:
  • The Dodgers are pursuing starting pitching on multiple fronts, notes Goldstein.
  • Money would have to be involved for Dempster to land with the Yankees, and with 90 minutes until the deadline there's been no talk of financials yet, tweets Sherman. The Cubs are said to like Yankees second base prospect Angelo Gumbs and third base prospect Dante Bichette Jr., but Sherman is not sure the Yankees would do that just to upgrade on Freddy Garcia. Reports are unclear on whether Dempster would approve a trade to the Yankees.
  • Echoing Kaplan, Nightengale tweets that the Cubs are engaged in heavy discussions with the Yankees on Dempster and are still talking to the Dodgers and Rangers. No one is copping to it on the Yankees' side, tweets Joel Sherman of the New York Post. The Yankees have indeed contacted the Cubs about Dempster, tweet Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports, but the teams are not talking seriously yet.
  • The Dodgers are not the only team discussing Dempster with the Cubs, tweets Bob Nightengale of USA Today.
  • The deal is not done yet, tweets Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus, as the Cubs really want prospect Allen Webster and are trying to add to Dempster to get him. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports concurs: there is no agreement yet.
  • The Cubs and Dodgers are "finally closing in on the Dempster deal," a source close to the negotations tells Jim Bowden of ESPN and MLB Network Radio.
  • The Dodgers remain focused on Dempster and want him even if they add another pitcher, tweets Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. They're also looking at hitters, and money does not seem to be a concern. Rosenthal notes that the Dodgers have worked on two massive deals over the last several days, both of which are now less likely.
  • There's no evidence of Dempster talk with the Yankees, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.
  • The Dodgers, Rangers, and Yankees are in play for Dempster, reports David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com. The Rangers and Yankees stepped up their pursuit over the last 48 hours. Furthermore, Kaplan says Dempster is willing to approve a trade to any of the three teams.
  • Nothing was close late Monday between the Dodgers and Cubs, according to Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.
  • Dempster "remains adamant that he will only approve a trade to the Dodgers," reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. Rosenthal says the Cubs and Dodgers are discussing Dempster and left fielder Alfonso Soriano. However, if the Dodgers acquire another target in outfielder Shane Victorino, they'd have little use for Soriano. With only one suitor, the Cubs' only leverage is weak: their alternative is to keep Dempster and make him a qualifying offer in the $12.5MM range after the season, with an eye on scoring one compensatory draft pick if he declines.
  • The Cubs and Braves' previous dialogue about Dempster made yesterday's Paul Maholm trade a little easier, Cubs GM Jed Hoyer told reporters including MLB.com's Carrie Muskat. As the centerpiece of that deal, the Cubs snagged Tommy John-rehabbing pitching prospect Arodys Vizcaino.

I am scratching my head over all this. It is looking more and more like Dempster will make his scheduled start tonight against the Pirates.

I am scratching my head over all this. It is looking more and more like Dempster will make his scheduled start tonight against the Pirates.

Me two. I'm trying to convince myself that if nothing happens and no other trades are made, it can be a good thing. Maybe the players we thought were going to be traded wont be and after all, dempster, soriano, and garza are pretty good players. (please announce a trade within 5 minutes)

the deadline doesnt matter for sori. he easily clears wavers. in fact hes probably more likely to go after the trade deadline.

Latest posts