**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

prospects are ranked more on physical tools and potential than they are performnce. lack of plate dicipline will not usually make a huge dent in a toung prospects rank, it will make a huge dent in performance.

by my estimates jackson wont be ready for the show for at least two.years.

It's a great point. How can the scouts know, without ridiculous levels of prospect studying? It's like the NFL combine in many ways, it's easier to weigh a guy and measure his speed than it is to analyze his plate discipline.

With this in mind: I think Almora should be a good one. Lots of people are critical of him, saying that hes good but the raw talent isnt really there. His scouting report is that he has extreme polish and fundamentals but maybe a low ceiling. Not to be a prisoner of the moment... But watching a guy like Jackson struggle, Almora-like prospects sound pretty good right about now.

For every 10 super talented prospect like Jorge Soler, you're going to have 8 Felix Pies, one Colby Rasmus, and one Justin Upton. 'talent' can mean many things.

Almora just got promoted to Boise, that team is now loaded with good prospects.

Vitters & Jackson......<facepalm>

Low A, short season. It is a good promotion for a recently drafted 18 year old.

It's crazy to think that going to Boise is a promotion - if in fact you mean the one in Idaho. I know nothing about baseball lower than AAA, and even then I'm sketchy at best.

It's crazy to think that going to Boise is a promotion - if in fact you mean the one in Idaho. I know nothing about baseball lower than AAA, and even then I'm sketchy at best.

It is a big promotion from Rookie league to Boise. You go from playing in front of 30 people in Arizona to 2 to 3000 at Boise. Plus the pitching gets better.

Next season us Cub fans will be keeping a close eye on Daytona & Peoria (A levels) as that is where most of the Cubs best prospects will be. The AAA team next year will still mainly be a product of the old regime with the exception of a few prospects they just traded for. It would not surprise me to see the Cubs be considered a top 10 farm system next year. Which is a nice climb from where it came from.

Congrats to Sori for hitting his 1,000 RBI on a 2 run homer to get the Cubs off to a good start today against Cueto. Like him or not (I think lately it's been mostly not liking his contract) he is in some pretty good company with this milestone:

Players with 1,000 RBI, 400 doubles, 350 HR, 250 SB are Barry Bonds, Andre Dawson, Willie Mays, Alex Rodriguez, Gary Sheffield, and now Sori.

There's another not hustling play for the Cubs ... this time by Wellington Castillo. Hit the ball and then run! Bob Brenly is not a happy camper right now.

FWIW Castillo has a sore foot that almost kept him out of the game
Sure, I could cut him a little slack for the sore foot. And, this did not cost the Cubs the game. But, these are the little things that need to be dealt with to turn the culture around, especially for a now young team. Watch the clip and listen to Brenly.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-kt8GqOQEI]Bob Brenly "RUN!! RUN!!" - YouTube[/ame]

Unfortunately even a handful that did have an impact it was not with the Cubs.

Impact:
Joe Carter
Shawon Dunston
Rafael Palmeiro - with enhancements ofc
Kerry Wood
Mark Prior

None of them Hall of Fame material.

I do think last years #1 pick Javier Baez has all the makings of being an impact player. This years pick, Almora, has a chance but he has a long ways to go.

Unfortunately even a handful that did have an impact it was not with the Cubs.

Impact:
Joe Carter
Shawon Dunston
Rafael Palmeiro - with enhancements ofc
Kerry Wood
Mark Prior

None of them Hall of Fame material.

I do think last years #1 pick Javier Baez has all the makings of being an impact player. This years pick, Almora, has a chance but he has a long ways to go.

Unfortunately the effect of Wood and Prior was short lived. I agree, I think Baez will be a stud, and I think we see him in 2 years. Almora is going to be a good one to, and though Soler wasn't a draft pick you have to love that signing and potential.