**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

I want to make a not so bold prediction but:

I don't see LaHair or Marmol with the team at the start of next season. I see Garza likely beign traded prior to the season starting due to the draft pick complensation of the CBA, but there is a small chance cubs hold on to him until trade deadline, but no way he ends the season with the cubs.

Also I think they sign a few FAs that won't blow your socks off, Maholm esque, no idea who that might be.

I keep hearing rumblings that LaHair could bolt for Japan. The Cubs would have to eat a bunch of Marmols contract in order for him to get traded, but anything can happen.

Samardzija has nothing left to prove on this team. All he would get by starting more games is more low scoring losses. On an average offensive team, he would have another half dozen wins by now.

Here's a big reason why I think the cubs are going to be a ways off:

2012 Prospect Watch | cubs.com: Prospects

4 of the top 7 weren't in the system prior to the year and the top 6 guys are at least 2 years out, except Jackson, who shouldn't be on the list anymore. Also the only pitchers in the top 10 in the organization are

Vizcaino- had Tommy John, still recovering and have no idea what he'll be
McNutt- a reliever
Johnson- just drafted, no idea what he could be.

Also, Szcur is at best a 4th outfielder and Junior Lake is still very raw.

The cubs have some really good prospects, but not many pitching prospects which is one big need right now. That's how key the Dempster and Garza deals could have been if they had occurred prior to the deadline.

Hope they can figure some things out fast.

Here's a big reason why I think the cubs are going to be a ways off:

2012 Prospect Watch | cubs.com: Prospects

4 of the top 7 weren't in the system prior to the year and the top 6 guys are at least 2 years out, except Jackson, who shouldn't be on the list anymore. Also the only pitchers in the top 10 in the organization are

Vizcaino- had Tommy John, still recovering and have no idea what he'll be
McNutt- a reliever
Johnson- just drafted, no idea what he could be.

Also, Szcur is at best a 4th outfielder and Junior Lake is still very raw.

The cubs have some really good prospects, but not many pitching prospects which is one big need right now. That's how key the Dempster and Garza deals could have been if they had occurred prior to the deadline.

Hope they can figure some things out fast.

Yep.

Cubs-Pirates: Theo Epstein says rebuilding plan still has rough edges - chicagotribune.com

On a side note - Soriano now has 101 RBI's.. Just the 3rd time in his career he's reached that number. I'm not saying resign Soriano or anything, but it's not like he's totally unproductive.. Yes, he's still grossly overpaid, but I don't really see the logic in basically paying most of Soriano's salary just to get rid of him.. Guy will hit 25-30 HR and is at least a good clubhouse guy from everything I've heard. So it could be worse. Maybe Theo was thinking the same thing.. Why dump a guy who is still productive if you can't get much in return?

To follow up on farmer's post.. Yeah, I didn't expect any of these prospects in the big leagues next year.. The Cubs' farm system was so bad that it's going to take a couple years to build things up again, so patience is the key. But oh is it going to be rough the next couple years.

Nice win for the Cubbies over Cards today. 2 outs, no one on base down 4-2 in 9th. Single by DeJesus and HR by Barney! DeJesus single in the 11th inning wins it. 4 hits by DeJesus today. Soriano now has 104 RBIs and is only 1 behind Braun for the lead in the NL. Who thought that was possible? :)

Off-season time, but no need for a new thread.

The cubs are going to go after pitching, pitching pitching in the off-season. I think marcum, ervin santana, maybe Annibal Sanchez (though I think he'll be high priced) or maybe Edwin Jackson. Guys that aren't overly expensive you can get for 2 or 3 years and flip like maholm. There is no way they go after Greinke btw.

The other option would be trade for a young pitcher. Possibly the likes of the braves who have SP to burn. Mabye go after Delgado again, or Hanson who had a down year but has great potential, and it is likely Jair Jurjens will get non-tendered, and it may be worth a shot if he can regain form. The trades would require a movement of some pieces, maybe a 2B prospect like Lake include with some younger prospects. I doubt the cubs are ready to make those type of deals using the farm system, but you'd have to think about it.

I don't know

Latest posts