**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

Do not care. Baker is not an everyday player, and LaHair either is going to be an everyday player or is a player that could get traded. He has not faced enough LHP for me to say never bat him against LHPs because Baker gets all those at bats. I say give him a chance, maybe some confidence.

Someone already posted it, but look at his MiLB stats too. He wasn't even average against lefties.

He's 29 years old for cripes sake. If he couldn't gain confidence against lefties in the minors, how will he gain confidence against them in the majors?

Baker is not an everyday player........which is why he doesn't play every day. But he is a guy that, unlike LaHair, has a history of hitting LHP well.

DeJesus is 32 years old and only has a 2 year guaranteed contract (3rd year option). They only spent 10 million on the guy and you know what you are getting putting him out there every day. I think Theo signed him to be a short term player, honestly I think the ideal situation is for Jackson to take over in center.

Again, the Cubs need to see what they have in Campana, even if he ends up being a career bench player the experience will benefit him. If Campana can hit .270 and get on base 32 or 33 percent of the time then he makes one heck of a leadoff hitter. He has a career .358 on base percentage in the minors (.374 at triple A), that leads me to believe if you give him more time at the major league level he might improve.

If all Campana ends up doing is coming off the bench then it is good to have someone that has experience in case of injury and gets asked to play every day.

I will end my Campana rant now. :D

It's like talking to a wall............

Yep, you are right. I have accepted the fact that the Cubs are using this as a building year.

How about making a run for David Wright in the off season? No way the Mets pick up his 16 million dollar option next season.

Last edited:
Listen, if LaHair isn't going to be an everyday outfielder I don't see the point, he's not great at defense and his offense, even against righties is just ok. Jeff Baker is not a long term solution even as a utility guy, so play LaHair, this is a lost year, and let him get his at bats, maybe he'll get some value. If you don't value him that much trade him for something that might be able to be of some value. I'm not saying LaHair is going to magically hit lefties,

but I would take his .208 career BA against LHP to have his threat of a power bat in the lineup. Baker is not someon you want protecting Rizzo or Soriano. At least LaHair has a chance at hitting for power when he's up. Baker is not someone that says pitch to the guy ahead of him.

I would like to remind everyone that the Cubs are 75 games into their season and have already won 26 of them. They sit 1 game ahead of the Padres for next years #1 draft pick in the amateur draft.

Play LaHair, play Campana, play Rizzo and let's see if they will be any use to the Cubs in the future.

I would like to remind everyone that the Cubs are 75 games into their season and have already won 26 of them. They sit 1 game ahead of the Padres for next years #1 draft pick in the amateur draft.

Play LaHair, play Campana, play Rizzo and let's see if they will be any use to the Cubs in the future.

DING DING DING

compana is bad. speed is useless when u can't get on base.ced landrum
Landrum was not as good of a base runner as Campana. Speed changes games and the Cardinals got to a few World Series in the 80s mainly using speed.Vince ColemanCareer .264 batting average with a .324 OBP.

1) landrum played 56 games for the cubs in the mid 80's and had 27 sb in 32 attempts. that's nearly identical to campana.

2) its not the 80's anymore. it hasn't been in over 30 years. as much as you like flock of seagulls and stolen bases neither are making a big comeback.

lastly you keep saying his speed could be a game changer. that's 100% true. it COULD be. however the reality is it isn't, mostly because he doesn't get on base enough to use it. hes at best a role player.

he's basically a shitier version of Ryan Theriot.

Duff, I really don't care. The Cubs are playing for nothing, they have the worst record in baseball and are about to unload what small veteran talent they do have to other teams. DeJesus is not going to be your center fielder long term, they are hoping Jackson ends up at center. There is zero advantage to playing DeJesus over Campana and I see no downside to giving Campana the experience while Jackson learns to cut down his strike outs in the minors.

Duff, I really don't care. The Cubs are playing for nothing, they have the worst record in baseball and are about to unload what small veteran talent they do have to other teams. DeJesus is not going to be your center fielder long term, they are hoping Jackson ends up at center. There is zero advantage to playing DeJesus over Campana and I see no downside to giving Campana the experience while Jackson learns to cut down his strike outs in the minors.

Dejesus playing everyday maximizes trade value. That's an advantage. If they move him play Campana all they want.

Cubs fans on here have a strange fascination with LaHair and Campana. It reminds me of the Darwin Barney talk last year.

It really doesn't matter that they suck because they're cheap and the Cubs aren't going anywhere regardless but if the Cubs are going to be good in 2014/15 none of these guys should be playing significant roles.

In the Tribune:

3. Keep on eye on Josh Vitters. While Luis Valbuena has been a nice fill-in for third baseman Ian Stewart with the Cubs, Vitters may have turned a corner. The 2007 first-round pick is hitting .327 with a .965 OPS in June, and has raised his season totals to .293 with 12 homers and 40 RBIs. He could potentially give the Cubs another dangerous bat against left-handed pitchers (season totals against them: .318, with a .982 OPS), although you hear the Cubs are still concerned about his strikeouts and his fielding. The guess here is he’d already have gotten to the big leagues if Jim Hendry was still in charge. He should be here soon despite the regime change, although it’s possible that Theo Epstein will use him as a chip in a midseason trade if he doesn’t like the way he projects.

Play them all, let's see what they've got.

Your Morning Phil: Quintana, Pierzynski, Vitters - chicagotribune.com

I could give a **** if Vitters can play 3rd base or not. The Cubs could move him to a corner outfield spot for that. Vitter's problem has been his complete lack of plate discipline. With his swing he doesn't need to be great in that area.

His walk percentage is up which is a good sign.

Cubs are going after another Cuban prospect Yasel Puig. They have until July 2nd to get the deal done before the new financial rules kick in for international prospects. The Cubs are willing to spend money on prospects, in fact the Cubs are offering to pay more of Dempsters remaining 14 million depending on the quality of prospects they get in return.

Chicago Cubs Rumors: MLB Rumors - MLBTradeRumors.com

Puig has a deal with the dodgers. bigger than the soler deal

Los Angeles Dodgers have deal with Yasiel Puig, sources say - ESPN Los Angeles

Thanks for the update, I did not look at the dates on the article I was reading. I am not surprised by the Dodgers throwing a bunch of money at Puig since it will be the last chance any team has to outbid others for international prospects.

It makes me sick about LaHair. I mentioned back in May the Cubs should have shopped him when he was on a tear. Hopefully he will get on another hot streak soon.

Some here have been clamoring for LaHair as a full time outfielder, I just don't see that working with the Theo plan. I think he ends up getting traded, but not for much. Likely a package deal with Dempster.

Hey all. Does any body know the pitching matchup for tomorrow. Tomorrow is my first Wrigley experience. Good thing I can watch two great teams :S

Latest posts