**OFFICIAL CUBS REGULAR SEASON THREAD**

Landrum was not as good of a base runner as Campana. Speed changes games and the Cardinals got to a few World Series in the 80s mainly using speed.

Vince Coleman

Career .264 batting average with a .324 OBP.
Vince Coleman was scared of and hurt by a tarp. How fast could he be? :)

$(KGrHqZHJEgE88d2OW)9BPR+zNmi,!~~60_35.JPG

Actually, he was very scary on the bases. It's almost hard to remember the days of 100 steals in a year. :)

Also, I didn't know he bounced around so much at the end of his career (KC, Sea, Cin, and Det). I really only remembered STL and NYM.

If some of you are saying Campana is an everyday player in the sense that he comes in around the 8th inning as a pinch runner or defensive replacement, then I agree.

If not, L-O-L at Campana being an everyday player.

If some of you are saying Campana is an everyday player in the sense that he comes in around the 8th inning as a pinch runner or defensive replacement, then I agree.

If not, L-O-L at Campana being an everyday player.

No, I am saying we don't know if he CAN be an everyday player. This season is a waste anyway, DeJesus does not offer you much, so play him everyday and let's see what he has got.

No, I am saying we don't know if he CAN be an everyday player. This season is a waste anyway, DeJesus does not offer you much, so play him everyday and let's see what he has got.

The season is a waste to the fans.

I guarantee you Cubs management does not view it the same way.

Campana is not an everyday player, unless it is in the minors. He is at best a 4th OF in the majors.

Also, the fans may not KNOW if he can be an everyday player, but you can be sure that the Cubs brass know if he can.

The season is a waste to the fans.

I guarantee you Cubs management does not view it the same way.

You are right, they do not view it as a waste because this year can be used to experiment and see who is going to become a piece of the puzzle for down the road. Which is why Campana should play.

Campana is not an everyday player, unless it is in the minors. He is at best a 4th OF in the majors.

Also, the fans may not KNOW if he can be an everyday player, but you can be sure that the Cubs brass know if he can.

This may be true but even if there is a chance Campana can be an everyday player then they should use him. You know what you have in DeJesus with good defense, little to no speed, decent on base percentage, and an occasional home run. Who cares if DeJesus is the difference between the Cubs losing 90 games instead of 95.

You are right, they do not view it as a waste because this year can be used to experiment and see who is going to become a piece of the puzzle for down the road. Which is why Campana should play.

I'm sorry, but using this logic then they should have never signed DeJesus in the offseason. And he was a Theo/Hoyer signing. So obviously they view DeJesus as more of a piece to the puzzle than they do Campana.

And, I really mean no disrespect, but I'll trust them regarding player evaluations. DeJesus is a prototypical OBP guy that Theo loves.

Just because a guy is fast does not make him an everyday player.

Randy Wells designated for assignment and Jeff Baker is still starting a game in RF. Why why why?

Jeff Baker vs. LHP: .241/.300/.370 - .670 OPS
Bryan LaHair vs. LHP: .088/.205/.176 - .381 OPS

That is why why why. Baker's stats against LHP is nowhere near what it was last season. But LaHair's is downright brutal.

Jeff Baker vs. LHP: .241/.300/.370 - .670 OPS
Bryan LaHair vs. LHP: .088/.205/.176 - .381 OPS

That is why why why. Baker's stats against LHP is nowhere near what it was last season. But LaHair's is downright brutal.

Do not care. Baker is not an everyday player, and LaHair either is going to be an everyday player or is a player that could get traded. He has not faced enough LHP for me to say never bat him against LHPs because Baker gets all those at bats. I say give him a chance, maybe some confidence.

Petitte out 6 weeks and CC headed to the DL (will only miss 2 starts, but you never know). Yanks could be looking for some pitching!!!

Do not care. Baker is not an everyday player, and LaHair either is going to be an everyday player or is a player that could get traded. He has not faced enough LHP for me to say never bat him against LHPs because Baker gets all those at bats. I say give him a chance, maybe some confidence.

LaHair spent a long time in the minor leagues. They know if he can or can't hit lefties. The problem is he couldn't hit lefties in the minors. What would possible make someone think he will start hitting major league lefties?

Here are some of his stats against lefties.
2005 (A+): 101 at-bats, .208 batting average, .639 OPS
2006 (AA): 44 at-bats, .159 batting average, .484 OPS
2006 (AAA): 47 at-bats, .255 batting average, .723 OPS
2007 (AAA): 139 at-bats, .187 batting average, .533 OPS
2008 (AAA): 75 at-bats, .200 batting average, .557 OPS
2009 (AAA): 140 at-bats, .221 batting average, .623 OPS
2010 (AAA): 108 at-bats, .222 batting average, .646 OPS

http://news.yahoo.com/fan-chicago-cubs-bryan-lahair-jeff-baker-against-224900399--mlb.html

FYI ... the Cubs are down 16-1 after 6 innings today. :eek:
Samardzija, not looking the part of untouchable (from cub's perspective) as a starter the last few weeks. Wonder what is going on with him, mental, mechanics, both?

maybe he just isnt as good as he was thought to be with the hot start. he has talent but ithink he is a 3 starter at best. or he is just struggling during a patch...heck look at mr. consistent (pujols) he went through some ups and downs last yr and this yr. that is what happens over 162 games.

I'm sorry, but using this logic then they should have never signed DeJesus in the offseason. And he was a Theo/Hoyer signing. So obviously they view DeJesus as more of a piece to the puzzle than they do Campana.

And, I really mean no disrespect, but I'll trust them regarding player evaluations. DeJesus is a prototypical OBP guy that Theo loves.

Just because a guy is fast does not make him an everyday player.

DeJesus is 32 years old and only has a 2 year guaranteed contract (3rd year option). They only spent 10 million on the guy and you know what you are getting putting him out there every day. I think Theo signed him to be a short term player, honestly I think the ideal situation is for Jackson to take over in center.

Again, the Cubs need to see what they have in Campana, even if he ends up being a career bench player the experience will benefit him. If Campana can hit .270 and get on base 32 or 33 percent of the time then he makes one heck of a leadoff hitter. He has a career .358 on base percentage in the minors (.374 at triple A), that leads me to believe if you give him more time at the major league level he might improve.

If all Campana ends up doing is coming off the bench then it is good to have someone that has experience in case of injury and gets asked to play every day.

I will end my Campana rant now. :D

Latest posts